Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XS1100 won't run Issues (New Owner, Help appreciated!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ccitis View Post
    Any other suggestions?
    Ride the bike a few hundred miles and it will usually loosen up and work normal again. Worst case take it apart, not an easy job. Parking the bike in the sun may help too.
    Last edited by bikerphil; 07-21-2023, 08:37 PM.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Went for another ride tonight. Bike ran well, pulls HARD, impressive for an old girl. Will just ride it and see if the speedo frees up.

Comment

Make sure the speedo cable is lubed and greasing the speedo drive IS a routine maintenance item.
        1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Picture of the bike in running condition. This winter I will polish the cases.

Comment

Ccitis-Where ever you are from I wish I had roads like that by me. I leave my Moms house and not even 1/4 mile away bridge construction. It has ruined my summer ridng as the long way around has so many cars and speed limit is 40 mph at best.
            1980 XS1100 SG
            Inline fuel filters
            New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
            160 mph speedometer mod
            Kerker Exhaust
            xschop K & N air filter setup
            Dynojet Recalibration kit
            1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
            1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Originally posted by oldyam80sg View Post
              Ccitis-Where ever you are from I wish I had roads like that by me. I leave my Moms house and not even 1/4 mile away bridge construction. It has ruined my summer ridng as the long way around has so many cars and speed limit is 40 mph at best.
              Don't be deceived, we have lots of traffic here too. My street shown is quiet... but to get to any really good riding you have to go about 45 minutes from here. I am in the Vancouver Canada area.

Comment

So, what would cause Number 1 cylinder to stay offline when on full enrichener? The enrichener circuit is clean... I can blow carb cleaner and compressed air through it and see it is not clogged. Once off enrichener the cylinder comes online, and then the bike runs fine.

I guess overall she is running a touch lean.... she burbles a bit on constant throttle, and small pops when decelerating. I do not feel like pulling the carbs for the 10th time, lol... so I guess I can just deal with this for now....

Comment

Originally posted by Ccitis View Post

I guess overall she is running a touch lean.... she burbles a bit on constant throttle, and small pops when decelerating. I do not feel like pulling the carbs for the 10th time, lol... so I guess I can just deal with this for now....
                  Over the years I've learned to live with an imperfect bike! Sounds like you're on the right track with the lean condition and I can't blame you for not wanting to pull the carbs again.

On one of my project bikes back when I had a similar situation and thought I'd gone over everything with a fine toothed comb. Over the course of six months I went over every conceivable thing it could be with no improvement then one day BAM I found the reason! One of the intake boots was sitting just a tad out of position allowing a bit of air to come in, once that was straightened out it ran perfect.

Yep, I road that bike about 8,000 miles in an imperfect state. Nothing too major but enough to make me pay attention. Here's what I'm getting at: If it runs "good enough" then ride it and enjoy it, a simple answer we I'll come to you sooner or later and with it being the height of riding season there's better things to be doing than sweating details

1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post

Over the years I've learned to live with an imperfect bike! Sounds like you're on the right track with the lean condition and I can't blame you for not wanting to pull the carbs again.

On one of my project bikes back when I had a similar situation and thought I'd gone over everything with a fine toothed comb. Over the course of six months I went over every conceivable thing it could be with no improvement then one day BAM I found the reason! One of the intake boots was sitting just a tad out of position allowing a bit of air to come in, once that was straightened out it ran perfect.

Yep, I road that bike about 8,000 miles in an imperfect state. Nothing too major but enough to make me pay attention. Here's what I'm getting at: If it runs "good enough" then ride it and enjoy it, a simple answer we I'll come to you sooner or later and with it being the height of riding season there's better things to be doing than sweating details

100 percent. I have had alot of old bikes, and alot that I have taken from not running to roadworthy. I like runners, not garage queens... The bike pulls HARD to redline, starts up easy, idles nice, not leaking any fluids, etc... so that works for me. Sometimes after a bike has sat for awhile things work themselves out too with some sea foam in there... we will see.You guys have all been very very helpful in helping me get this thing on the road!

Comment

Working...
                    X