Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XS1100 won't run Issues (New Owner, Help appreciated!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, you do need to put the pickup coil back in the same position. I cannot find the specs in my books, but I think it was about 0.014" clearance between the pickup coil and the tab on the crank. Check the clearance on the one still installed, and match it would be best for now.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

P/U coil gap is .7MM (.027")
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Many Thanks. I will give this repair a go soon and see if the bike runs better.

Comment

Thanks Phil! I could not find the specs.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	874583 I used this wire- same gauge and colors.
            80 G

Comment

Same here- I used solder/heat shrink, but I kept it at the end ends where it doesn't need to flex.

Name:	Wire for PIck-up Coils.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	874587

Name:	Pickup Coil Splices.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	874588 Click image for larger version

Name:	PIckup Wires Dressed.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	874589
              -Mike
              _________
              '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
              '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
              '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
              '79 XS750SF 17k miles
              '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
              '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
              '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Ok, so bike starts up easy now and runs off of enrichener... now need to fiddle with the carbs... number one is still a dead cylinder on start, and obviously needs a syncing.

Comment

Synced the carbs... bike ran great in the garage... no issues. Decided I would take it for a ride. Did about 30 minutes, no issues at all. Pulled strong... maybe a slight burble off throttle... nothing wild. Parked the bike for about 10 minutes when I went inside a store. Came outside, fired it up... no issue. Now, I start to get some stuttering, and WOW some major backfiring and no power. I was 5 minutes from home, and it sputtered, backfired all the way home, and I had to hold almost wide open throttle. So strange... this is a tempermental bike. Moments earlier I had it on the highway!

Comment

Originally posted by Ccitis View Post
                    this is a tempermental bike
                    Once you get all the kinks ironed out, it will be just the opposite.
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Check your fuel lines!! I had problems with my '79 for a while, and finally realized I had a kink in the fuel lines causing the problems. You may need to cut a few MM of the line to fix it.
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG

Comment

The only thing that's ever made my bike backfire are breaks and possibly shorts in the pickup wires, once those where properly repaired there hasn't been a problem since. A quick look at them only points out the obvious, you really need to go over them with a fine toothed comb. The last break I found (before replacement) was a spot where the wire appeared thin, sure enough when I cut the wire in that spot the copper inside the insulation was like powder from flexing over the years.
                        1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Maybee someone close to you could heip. I dont see a problem that cant be solved here , just one that will take a long time one suggestion at a time . Location ??
                          Last edited by SFerinTEXAS; 07-20-2023, 08:16 PM.
                          79SF
                          XJ11
                          78E

Comment

Seems like my pickup coil fix failed... I painted the new crimps with liquid tape. I put the meter on them, infinite resistance. Pulled the cover, the two crimps had melted together... will perhaps try heat shrink, although it will be tough now with the crimps on. When I separated them, no issues on the meter.

Comment

Did you give the tape the proper time to dry? You can just put a bit of electrical tape around them, Loop around one, then finish by looping the second wire.
                              Ray Matteis
                              KE6NHG

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                                Did you give the tape the proper time to dry? You can just put a bit of electrical tape around them, Loop around one, then finish by looping the second wire.
                                Dried overnight and the next day. I will figure it out. Noticed on the ride the speedo is extremely slow to come online. Put a bunch of contact cleaner up there and a bit of silicone spray. Any other suggestions? Do I need to pull it apart?

Comment

Working...
                                X