No announcement yet.

cam chain tensioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did it work? I've never tried it that way, but I know there's a 1/4 inch hole behind the center of the plug, so I thought it shouldn't hurt anything.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
      Did it work? I've never tried it that way, but I know there's a 1/4 inch hole behind the center of the plug, so I thought it shouldn't hurt anything.
      WHAT?! You didn't know if it would!
      Anyway...recommendations on the gasket-coat engine AND tensioner sides? Or just one?

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post

In that case you should probably drain your fork oil and fill it back up (to the top of the tubes) with 140wt gearcase lube.
        Phil. Not you.

Comment

I would put gasket sealer on both sides.

When I used those manual tensioners over 10 ago, I would use a glob of RTV over where the seal goes. Then the ACCT mod was discovered and the OEM ones went in the parts bin for good.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
            I would put gasket sealer on both sides.

When I used those manual tensioners over 10 ago, I would use a glob of RTV over where the seal goes. Then the ACCT mod was discovered and the OEM ones went in the parts bin for good.
            Job done chaps...off to the pub.
            Got up at 3, after not being able to sleep. I put a thin layer on the tensioner ( to give the gasket a bit of hold ) and thicker on the engine side of gasket. Permatex said finger tighten and let sit for an hour so I watched some boob tube for that hour and then tightened it up. Watched some more tube till 7:30 and then spun the engine a couple of turns with a wrench-felt good-installed the tc.
            Now I have to wait a day before trying to start her.
            My only real concern is like water, oil, will find the "path of least resistance" which is why I never bothered with it- I was ok with the couple drops I used to get, for years-I was not ok with the sizable spot being left now.
            Guess time will tell where it starts to leak from next. It's an old machine, after all. Gaskets and seals don't last forever.
            Thanks for the assistance.

Comment

Glad you got it sorted out JonnyO, help is always around.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

Comment

Working...
              X