No announcement yet.

the saga continues !!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a little bit more progress, I came across a standard tank in very good condition inside and out and it cost a lot less than getting the SF tank painted (very cheap) still need to paint the side panels (and front wheel) when the weather gets warmer !!!!! its slowly turning into a standard XS11 !!! but i do prefer the standard slightly more than the custom. I still have all the S bodywork so I can swap it all over if and when I want.
    will be pin striping the tank and seat unit at some point as well.

Comment

Hi Tony, I like your bike. I am interested in the 4 into 2 stainless pipe. Do you know what brand unit it is?

DEEBS

Comment

Originally posted by DEEBS11 View Post
        Hi Tony, I like your bike. I am interested in the 4 into 2 stainless pipe. Do you know what brand unit it is?

DEEBS
        I don't know mate, It came on the bike when I got it !!!! its a full stainless 4 into 2 system, it did have a slash cut end on the silencers but a cut them off as i didn't like it. Ive been trying to find out where they came from for a while !!!!

Comment

finally got round to painting the front wheel, also shortened the forks 30mm after fitting new seals. just got to paint the side panels now and maybe some pin striping on the tank and tail piece.

Comment

Good looking front wheel. Personally I'm not a fan of covering the whole thing in the same color since it's already a good looking wheel in it's original form.
            1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

changes again wasn't totally happy with the suzuki seat and tail unit and finding a standard XS1100 seat over here is hard !!!! so the next best thing was an XS750 seat. yeah not a direct fit but the style is right. I did away with the 750 hinges and bolted the 2 1100 fasteners on so it fits in the same way. the back of the seat base had to be cut back a bit so the 1100 tail unit fitted right. then on with a new cover. still need to paint the tail unit and side panels black. also the 2 lower seat trims need paint (not fitted yet). a standard XS1100 needs to look like one and I do prefer the look slightly more than the special.

Comment

another small step closer !!!! painted the tail unit just needs flattening back with wet n dry and then polish it. next is the side panels I hate paint prep work !!!!

Comment

Looks really good Tony!
                  Bob's Bikes:
                  79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
                  https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
                  https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
                  "
                  Project XS11"
                  "Rucksack Grunt"
                  "Small Unit Leadership"
                  "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
                  For Sale Here.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger_xs1100 View Post
                    Looks really good Tony!
                    thanks Ranger

Comment

almost their, put some pin stripes on the tank and tail unit, still got side panels and seat trims to do. still chasing the hesitation it gets at 3000rpm but it handles better with the slightly shorter forks and thicker oil. not sure what I think of the 16" rear wheel ????? will it look better with the 17" ????

Last edited by Tonyxs11; 02-23-2023, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Re: hesitation @ 3000rpm. Assuming that the carbs are freshly clean and synchronized, you could possibly shim the needles. This worked great on my bike with 45 pilot jets @ 2 turns out. Lit the midrange right up.

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	L-side_r.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	278.4 KB
ID:	870975 Before new cover. Click image for larger version

Name:	CovidPaint2r.JPG
Views:	428
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	870976 After new cover and padding.
                          It's easy to do, but you will need to make up something for the pointy tabs that hold the seat cover on. I used my TIG to weld on a few I cut from sheet stock, or you could use a punch to create new points.
                          This part might be helpful when doing a seat cover.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295538459659

Name:	s-l1600 (1).jpg
Views:	135
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	872494

Comment

Originally posted by DEEBS11 View Post
                            Re: hesitation @ 3000rpm. Assuming that the carbs are freshly clean and synchronized, you could possibly shim the needles. This worked great on my bike with 45 pilot jets @ 2 turns out. Lit the midrange right up.
                            its running FJ1100 36mm carbs ATM, the XS carbs where beyond repair and couldn't find any. im pretty sure its running rich at 3K, if I pull the choke at 3K it chokes to death !!!! ive had the needles at every position and its always the same at 3K, but very rich with a high needle. the strange thing is it doesn't always do it.

Comment

Oh, I see. Three ideas: If your CV slide comes up too fast it can produce a rich mixture. Sometime this can be a result of the relief hole in the slide being bored out too much. Also, an intermittent rich issue could be a cracked coil or breached high tension wire arcing out at certain RPMs during certain heat conditions. You can run the bike in the garage in complete darkness with the tank off and take a long piece of wire grounded to the frame and brush it along the coils and wires. You will see the corona jump out at the wire where the breach is. And #3 - The FJ has a 4 valve head and breathes considerably more than the XS. Is it possible that the needle taper itself is the issue? Perhaps at the 3000 rpm the coordinates of the needle rising out of the emulsion tube are too rich for a two valve combustion chamber.

Name:	FJ1100 Head.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	872499

Comment

cheers deebs, when i rode it today i was just about home when it went on to 2 cylinders, I thought a coil had gone down but it turned out to be a bad connection to the live wire. but saying that i am planning to replace the coils when funds alough as they are 44 years old. ive not had chance to do some carb tuning as its just been to cold !!!! i have read of others fitting FJ1100 carbs and not had any problems, even with the vacuum disconnected.

Comment

Working...
                                X