No announcement yet.

the saga continues !!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well i think im getting their with this bike !!!!! the running issue has been fighting me since i got the bike, so today i finally got round to checking the valve clearances, all where within spec. so while i was their check the cam timing, and low and behold they where both a tooth out !!!!!!! so sorted that out and took it for a run, what a difference, i did think it was down on power but im so used to riding my GSX1100 and just thought it was right. it still has that slight hesitation at 3000rpm but nowhere as bad. so some more fine tuning should sort it.
    it starts better and also idles great

Comment

another big step forward, I tried putting a vacuum pipe on the inlet rubber to see if hooking up the vacuum advance would make a difference. I did put a pilot jet inside the pipe but the vacuum advance just jumped about and rattled so obviously the jet hole was too big, looking at the XS carbs it looks like the vacuum hole in the carb body is about 0.4mm but the FJ1100 carbs doesn't have that set up. so I used an adjustable air valve to settle the vacuum pulse down. the bike was so much more responsive from idle so time for a run out. its a different bike now and I would say its about 95% perfect, their is a tiny hint of the hesitation now and then at 3000 rpm but not much, I think come summer i can get it even better with a bit of fine tuning, its actually a joy to ride now.
      the air valve.

Comment

Very exciting, Tony. What year is your GSX? I have a fully faired '92 GSX100 Katana, and a '94 G. Both are fun, but relics.
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
          Very exciting, Tony. What year is your GSX? I have a fully faired '92 GSX100 Katana, and a '94 G. Both are fun, but relics.
          its a 1980 GSX750ET but i fitted an 1100 engine is your Katana an air cooled or oil cooled ?

Comment

bikes running really good now, not %100 but almost. STILL need to paint the standard side panels using the Special ones for now. I think i'll go down the square headlight route at some point as I think its suits it better than the round one, or lower the round one as it sits up to high I think !!!!! happy though

Comment

Looking good Tony!
              Bob's Bikes:
              79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
              https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
              https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
              "
              Project XS11"
              "Rucksack Grunt"
              "Small Unit Leadership"
              "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
              For Sale Here.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger_xs1100 View Post
                Looking good Tony!
                cheers ranger, this is my 4th XS11 and riding it brings back good memories from my first 78 standard, had so much fun on that bike. I love my GSX1100 but the XS pulls that little bit more, not bad for a 44 year old.
                but the gearbox on the GSX is silky smooth compared to the XS

Comment

Originally posted by Tonyxs11 View Post
                  but the gearbox on the GSX is silky smooth compared to the XS
                  A cheese grater is smoother than the XS gearbox!
                  1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post

A cheese grater is smoother than the XS gearbox!
                    your right their

Comment

Originally posted by Tonyxs11 View Post

your right their
                      That was meant in jest of course. I've found that when you wind the gears out and get the RPM's up over about 5500 it shifts very smooth.

Also, when I follow the instructions to set the screw under the cover on the right side where the clutch cable attaches if I turn it an extra 1/8 turn beyond what they recommended it also helps quite a bit. If you turn it TOO much you'll get some slip.

Having just a tad bit more play in the lever adjustment than is specified also adds a bit more to smoothing things out, that one puzzles me but seems to help.
                      1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post

That was meant in jest of course. I've found that when you wind the gears out and get the RPM's up over about 5500 it shifts very smooth.

Also, when I follow the instructions to set the screw under the cover on the right side where the clutch cable attaches if I turn it an extra 1/8 turn beyond what they recommended it also helps quite a bit. If you turn it TOO much you'll get some slip.

Having just a tad bit more play in the lever adjustment than is specified also adds a bit more to smoothing things out, that one puzzles me but seems to help.
                        worth a try

Comment

I agree - clutch adjustment is critical for proper transmission shifting. However, I did find the opposite worked for me regarding lever play. Used to like engagement just off the grip but that didn't allow for friction plate / spring wear and made for poor shifting. Less play/greater throw = better disengagement between shifts. Yes, it's harder on your left hand but it's easier on the transmission. It was at a point where neutral was hard to find because of clutch drag before I wrapped my head around the functionality of the components. Also used to run 20w50 because I thought that would help protect the engine a little better - great for marathon runs in hot weather but that's no longer my riding style. Found that 10w40 doesn't seem to 'glue' the clutch plates together during initial engagement - a little less of a WHACK when dropping it into 1st gear.

P.S. - Tony - love your project and that exhaust! Must send a nice howl across the dales when you wind 'er up!
                          Last edited by LenB; 04-03-2023, 03:45 PM.
                          1980 XS1100G (one owner-me)
                          1983 Kawasaki GPZ750 (Frankenbike)
                          Owned - 1976 XS750D
                          Owned - 1972 Honda CB750
                          Owned - (unknown year) XS650
                          (+ too many Yammies/Hondas to mention)

Comment

Originally posted by LenB View Post
                            I agree - clutch adjustment is critical for proper transmission shifting. However, I did find the opposite worked for me regarding lever play. Used to like engagement just off the grip but that didn't allow for friction plate / spring wear and made for poor shifting. Less play/greater throw = better disengagement between shifts. Yes, it's harder on your left hand but it's easier on the transmission. It was at a point where neutral was hard to find because of clutch drag before I wrapped my head around the functionality of the components. Also used to run 20w50 because I thought that would help protect the engine a little better - great for marathon runs in hot weather but that's no longer my riding style. Found that 10w40 doesn't seem to 'glue' the clutch plates together during initial engagement - a little less of a WHACK when dropping it into 1st gear.

P.S. - Tony - love your project and that exhaust! Must send a nice howl across the dales when you wind 'er up!
                            thanks Len, not quite in the dales but not that far the exhaust is/was pretty loud when i got the bike but where i live it doesn't go down well with the neighbours so it has DB killers in them to take the edge off. sounds good but not too in your face

Comment

the clock surround rubbers where perished and looks crap and no longer available, so someone came up with the idea of using draught excluder (can't remember who) so i bought some.
                              as you can see they are way past their use by date !!!!!!!

Comment

they now look good and don't wobble about

Comment

Working...
                                X