No announcement yet.

the saga continues !!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the bike a '79, I can't remember. Looks like it from the side cover, as the seat is too close. That may be the angle of the picture, but you should be able to easily pull the side cover with the seat on. I put an '80 seat on my '79, but I had to modify the pan so it would fit.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
      Is the bike a '79, I can't remember. Looks like it from the side cover, as the seat is too close. That may be the angle of the picture, but you should be able to easily pull the side cover with the seat on. I put an '80 seat on my '79, but I had to modify the pan so it would fit.
      yep its a 79, ive got the cover of to have a go at repairing the rip !!!!!!!!!! and while its off im thinking of trimming the edge of the pan to follow the edge of the side panel

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	L-side_r.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	278.4 KB
ID:	870975 Before new cover. Click image for larger version

Name:	CovidPaint2r.JPG
Views:	423
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	870976 After new cover and padding.
        It's easy to do, but you will need to make up something for the pointy tabs that hold the seat cover on. I used my TIG to weld on a few I cut from sheet stock, or you could use a punch to create new points.
        Last edited by DiverRay; 10-27-2022, 01:51 PM.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG

Comment

seat base trimmed to follow the side panels, did a bit of a repair on the seat cover for now, fare from perfect but it'll have to do

Comment

progress so far, still need to paint the front wheel. tank and side panels will be getting done in the next few weeks (hopefully)

Comment

Originally posted by Tonyxs11 View Post
              seat base trimmed to follow the side panels, did a bit of a repair on the seat cover for now, fare from perfect but it'll have to do

That seat trim work looks great! Nice job.
              Bob's Bikes:
              79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
              https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
              https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
              "
              Project XS11"
              "Rucksack Grunt"
              "Small Unit Leadership"
              "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
              For Sale Here.

Comment

thanks ranger, shame about the rip on the other side though

Comment

finally had my first ride on it today, still needs work but its getting their the front brake is gona take a bit of getting used too !!!! its not in the same league as the 4 pots on my GSX1100
                  Last edited by Tonyxs11; 11-19-2022, 09:25 AM.

Comment

pulled the left cover off today and found a broken wire on the vacuum advance !!! soldered it back together for now (will replace all the wires at some point) but the weather has let me down again so can't road test it

Comment

Yeah, this time of year in the UK CAN be cold and wet! I spent a week at the R.A.L. for work in November a few years back. Daytime high was the overnight low at my house in the San Francisco bay area.
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                        Yeah, this time of year in the UK CAN be cold and wet! I spent a week at the R.A.L. for work in November a few years back. Daytime high was the overnight low at my house in the San Francisco bay area.
                        yep definitely not biking weather when I was younger it didn't bother me but now I'm almost 60 ive become a fair weather biker

Comment

Ive got too much time on my hands and with all the bad weather I started playing with some bodywork !!!!!!! I have an old GS750 seat and a GS850 tail unit that I thought I'd try on the XS, Im quite liking the look so will leave it on for now, still need to paint the tank and wheel, but don't worry ive done no mod's to the frame and still have all the special bodywork.
                          will need to get some standard side panels though to close up the gap.

Last edited by Tonyxs11; 12-20-2022, 09:09 AM.

Comment

not much done lately but got some standard side panels, had to make 2 brackets for the rear top mounts to hold them in place. no gap under the seat now. still have the paint to sort out !!!!
                            ive done NO mods to the frame so i can easily put the special bits back on if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonyxs11 View Post
                              Ive got too much time on my hands and with all the bad weather I started playing with some bodywork !!!!!!! I have an old GS750 seat and a GS850 tail unit that I thought I'd try on the XS, Im quite liking the look so will leave it on for now, still need to paint the tank and wheel, but don't worry ive done no mod's to the frame and still have all the special bodywork.
                              will need to get some standard side panels though to close up the gap.

that’s very interesting. Changes the look for sure. I like it.

Comment

I broke my own rule on this bike !!!!! I fully intended to restore it to as much as I could to factory spec, but ive been modifying bikes for so long its like an addiction and just couldn't help my self

Comment

Working...
                                X