the saga continues !!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the saga continues !!!!!!

decided it was time to whip the swingarm out as i want rid of the gold paint and put it back to black, first thing was a nut missing of the final drive unit, no biggy as its just a nut. then got the swinger out and noticed one of the bearing spacers is missing then the U.J. is goosed all rusty and stiff.

also the 130/90x16 tyre is too wide for the swingarm will have to find a narrower 130/90x16 tyre !!!!

U joint is the same one used on a Nissan or Toyota, don't remember for sure. I was able to buy a new one for about $20 US eight years ago. For the rear tire, make sure it does NOT have "raised white letters" on the sidewall. If it does, you may be able to spin the tire on something and sand them down. The raised letters are what usually hit.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
      U joint is the same one used on a Nissan or Toyota, don't remember for sure. I was able to buy a new one for about $20 US eight years ago. For the rear tire, make sure it does NOT have "raised white letters" on the sidewall. If it does, you may be able to spin the tire on something and sand them down. The raised letters are what usually hit.
      cheers for the heads up on the UJ the edge of the rear tyre has by the looks of it been sanded down to clear the swinger !!!! but not enough. has anyone made the recess a bit deeper so the wider tyres will clear ?

Comment

doing a bit of research and it looks like the XS850 universal joint is the same as the 1100's. can anyone confirm this ?

DRIVE SHAFT........YEAR/MODEL........................OVERALL LENGTH..NOTES
        2H7-46172-00-00....82 XJ1100.........................10-1/8".........1
        5G2-46172-00-00....81-83 XJ750.......................11-3/16"........2
        2H7-46172-00-00....78-81 XS1100......................10-1/8".........1
        1J7-46172-01-00....77-79 XS750.......................10-13/16".......4
        3J2-46172-00-00....80-81 XS850.......................9-3/8"..........1
        5EL-46171-00-00....99-up XVS1100 V Star 1100.........16-1/16"........3
        4NK-46172-00-00....96-01 XVZ1300 Royal Star..........14-13/16".......3

Notes:
        1. uses the 21-spline 2H7-46180-00-00 Cross Joint (U-Joint or Yoke)
        2. uses the 17-spline 4H7-46180-00-00 Cross Joint (U-Joint or Yoke)
        3. uses the 21-spline 4X7-46180-00-00 Cross Joint (U-Joint or Yoke)
        4. uses the 1J7-46170-02-00 Ball Joint
        5. uses the 31A-46180-00-00 Cross Joint (U-Joint or Yoke)
        6. uses the 5JW-46180-00-00 Cross Joint (U-Joint or Yoke)

Last edited by Tonyxs11; 10-18-2022, 03:22 PM.

Comment

According to Partzilla, the xs1100s and the xs850s use the same part number:

(Scroll down to related fitment.)

https://www.partzilla.com/product/ya...d3a55c9ef362a5

Bob's Bikes:
          79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
          https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
          https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
          "
          Project XS11"
          "Rucksack Grunt"
          "Small Unit Leadership"
          "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
          For Sale Here.

Comment

cheers ranger just more confirmation
            1100 bits are getting harder to find over here but 750/850 bits are a bit easier. their are 2 U.J's on UK ebay cheap so will hit the buy it now button.

Comment

I have had various 130/90-16 tires on three specials with no problems.

For a while I had Spitfires with raised white letters on the SF, without any problem.

Something is weird about your tire rub.

-Mike
              _________
              '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
              '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
              '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
              '79 XS750SF 17k miles
              '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
              '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
              '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Originally posted by Tonyxs11 View Post
                has anyone made the recess a bit deeper so the wider tyres will clear ?
                They have. They cut out the tire side of the swing arm and welded it closer to the drive shaft. You will gain very little and run the risk of distorting the swing arm. If you must have a fat tire you should get a different bike.

79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
                79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
                  I have had various 130/90-16 tires on three specials with no problems.

For a while I had Spitfires with raised white letters on the SF, without any problem.

Something is weird about your tire rub.

nothing weird about the tyre rub, you can have two tyres of different makes but the same size and one will be wider than the other, i measured my tyre at the widest point and it is 150mm due to the ribbed edge, ive no idea why the idiot who fitted it didn't notice the contact ??? or did they and grind off the edge all the way round the tyre

Comment

Originally posted by red bandit View Post

They have. They cut out the tire side of the swing arm and welded it closer to the drive shaft. You will gain very little and run the risk of distorting the swing arm. If you must have a fat tire you should get a different bike.
                    yep ive seen it done, and theirs nowt wrong with wanting a wider tyre on your bike

and i have another bike with a wider 180 tyre on it

Comment

one thing on this bike which im happy with is the brace on the swingarm, should help the handling a bit

Comment

Yes, it could... But is the swingarm still square? You have a tire that rubs, and the welding, if done wrong, would cause the swingarm to warp. You may need to look at the factory specs for distance from bearings to axle.
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG
                        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                          Yes, it could... But is the swingarm still square? You have a tire that rubs, and the welding, if done wrong, would cause the swingarm to warp. You may need to look at the factory specs for distance from bearings to axle.
                          as I said its the tyre, a 130 tyre should measure around 130mm but some are wider. the tyre on my bike is a 130 but measures 150mm at its widest point.

Comment

the used XS850 U.J turned up today, its in good condition unlike mine couldn't find an 1100 one but the 850 is the same. so its time to fit the painted swingarm and wheel. looks much better

Comment

finally found a seat, the base is like new and amazing for a 40 year old steel seat but the cover has a split in it !!! can't find a cover anywhere for it so it'll have to be repaired for now till i find one or have one made.

Comment

Working...
                              X