1980 xs1100 rear master cylinder rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980 xs1100 rear master cylinder rebuild

I took the rear master off and cleaned it thoroughly. I can see through all the holes. I put the rebuild kit in and I can't get it to pump the brake fluid. I must have something out of order. I have searched for a picture of the order of parts on the shaft but can't find one. The service manual is not that clear. Does someone have a picture to share that would help. Thanks.

You need to bench bleed it. Basically making a seal with your finger while pumping it to prime it. The seal can be made at any of the line joints but the closer to the master the better.
    1979 XS1100 Special
    1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
    1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
    1976 XS750D Project in waiting

Comment

OK. I still need to get the order of the parts.

Comment

sorry, don't have a picture, but will this help you at all?

Rear MC rebuild - sequence of parts - XS11.club Forums
        Bob's Bikes:
        79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
        https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
        https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
        "
        Project XS11"
        "Rucksack Grunt"
        "Small Unit Leadership"
        "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
        For Sale Here.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowjacket View Post
          I took the rear master off and cleaned it thoroughly. I can see through all the holes. I put the rebuild kit in and I can't get it to pump the brake fluid. I must have something out of order. I have searched for a picture of the order of parts on the shaft but can't find one. The service manual is not that clear. Does someone have a picture to share that would help. Thanks.
          Bleeding the brakes is a much easier job if you would invest in a mity vac or something similar. Much easier to just pull the fluid through versus trying to get the air out. Especially works well on the front brakes.
          2 - 80 LGs bought one new
          81 LH
          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
          22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
          Jim

Comment

After filling the master cylinder reservoir and pumping the (bad word) out of the brake pedal to no avail, I realized that the necessary vacuum could not be created without priming EVERYTHING. Stripped the MC down AGAIN and used a kid's large liquid antibiotic syringe to inject brake fluid directly into the plunger cylinder and the caliper. Now, with brake fluid in the critical parts of the system, I finally felt some pressure at the pedal and successfully bled the air out of the system. And, yes, I too incorporated a simple hand-operated pumping system which greatly helped the bleeding process. If all parts are installed proprely, it's time to celebrate when you feel good pressure at the pedal!
            1980 XS1100G (one owner-me)
            1983 Kawasaki GPZ750 (Frankenbike)
            Owned - 1976 XS750D
            Owned - 1972 Honda CB750
            Owned - (unknown year) XS650
            (+ too many Yammies/Hondas to mention)

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I now have rear brakes. Put the master back together with the above listed order. Primed the caliper with brake fluid. Attached a long hose to the bleeder bolt and primed with my mouth on the other end while I pumped the master. Worked great. Slowly coming together.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowjacket View Post
                ... Attached a long hose to the bleeder bolt and primed with my mouth on the other end while I pumped the master. Worked great. ...
                I do this too!

-Mike
                _________
                '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Working...
                X