Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brake upgrades for the Special Front brakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake upgrades for the Special Front brakes?

Just wondering if anyone has come up with an upgrade or fix for the lackluster front brakes on the Specials? I would like to keep my 1980 SG as close to OEM as possible, Pad compounds and such are open for debate. Has anyone delved into why the Special brakes are so bad? As far as I can tell both Standard and Special brakes look very similar, as far as Pad area and such. There is the odd taper on the Special units, how does this relate? I saw a discussion a while ago about getting the special pads mixed up. I don't see how that could be possible. Am I missing something here?

Peace, Wolf

80 SG
    81 Midnight Special (R.I.P.)

Blue Spots from an R1

Comment

Thanx Auxtian

Is there a specific year or group of years?
      80 SG
      81 Midnight Special (R.I.P.)

Comment

GET BRAIDED STAINLESS BRAKE LINES!!! BY far the best upgrade to make for front and rear,,,,measure length of lines with a string, or skinny ruler,,,go to ebay, type in ss. motorcycle brake lines and there is a ton of sellers, colors, etc very cheap around 10.00 a line. All are DOT approved, I have them on three different bikes and they work great,,,,,the best upgrade for the old xs1100's you can make. Clean your pads, sand lightly, pop on these lines and it will be a two finger stop on the front brakes, not the mushy feel but FIRM and racy............best 30.00 for all around solid braking....Mike in San Diego

Comment

Originally posted by XS-play View Post
          Thanx Auxtian

Is there a specific year or group of years?
          Any of the blue or gold spots will do, just need the adapter's
          Mal Pitman in Australia or Miti in Scotland can help there.
          Also used on early FJR and XJR models
          Last edited by auxtian; 06-30-2021, 10:03 AM.

Comment

I could be wrong, but I do not believe anyone makes a caliper adapter plate for the oddball Special forks. Member Topcatgr58 made his own but not very easily.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Special Fork.jpg Views:	0 Size:	152.0 KB ID:	865635

Link to the bracket fabrication...

https://xs11.club/forum/idle-talk-fo...rk-upgrade-mod
            Last edited by bikerphil; 06-30-2021, 11:18 AM.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
            X