exaust cracked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exaust cracked

Maybe I take too many bumpy back roads. It's not too rusty, but today I heard rattling and there is a big crack through the right side just in front of the cross over.

Can this be repaired, welded, JB? Could be hard to replace. I rode aroundy with it like that today, It's not dangerous yet right?
    Last edited by speedlimit85; 06-12-2021, 02:14 PM.
    80 G

Click image for larger version

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	865330 Click image for larger version

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	865331
    Attached Files
    80 G

Comment

Trying jb weld exhaust...
      80 G

Comment

They rust from the inside, so you are probably close to "end of life" on the factory system. The JB may give you another year or two, so it's a good first try. If you know how to weld, or have a GOOD local welder, that could give you about four more years.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Speedlimit,, tack weld in four locations with a wire-feed welderl while exhaust is in place. Remove right side exhaust and finish welding break preferably using a torch and welding rod. Torch welding this spreads the heat across pipe while welding. Grind it smooth with an angle head grinder using a flap sanding disc. Paint the area using a can of Dupli-Colors High Temp Silver. That fix will last rest of bikes life. Just a tried and true procedure from a certified welder/fabricator.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

BTW, Dupli-Color brand spray paints are primarily located at your local NAPA dealers. It is also a high quality paint brand that stays looking good for many years!
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I agree. Go right to a good weld shop. Do not use any epoxy as it will contaminate any weld repair.
              1979 XS1100 Special
              1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
              1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
              1976 XS750D Project in waiting

Comment

I had this happen on my original to me MNS. I took the bike to a reputable welder so that he could spot weld it to hold it together. I then took the exhaust off the bike and brought it back to him to finish the job. It would be best if you can find someone that can do TIG.
                2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                81 LH
                02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                Jim

Comment

better Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	865631
                  80 G

Comment

Hit it with a brush to clean off the oxidation and put a bit of high temp paint on it to keep it from rusting out in the heat affected zones of the weld.
                    1979 XS1100 Special
                    1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
                    1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
                    1976 XS750D Project in waiting

Comment

Working...
                    X