Crankcase question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HazXS View Post
    What is the idea of having nozzles and why not just have machined holes? Just a thought
    Exactly. Probably helps to pressurize the oil into more of a jet to help lubricate the bearing. But looking at it, i'd re-use that crankcase, though i'm not an engineer, and no doubt someone will be along to say why it would not be a good idea.

Comment

That makes sense, it would be nice to reuse it but no issue if I can't.
      Why do I have to touch things when I should just leave them alone!!!

Comment

I've heard that crankcases are a machined pair and should be used as a matching pair and might leak oil if not used that way. Whenever i've rebuilt engines, and i've rebuilt 2 XS1100's and 3 FJ's, i've always used the matching pairs.
        Good news is that the nozzles are still available to buy new.

Comment

Just did a quick look up and got a mixture of both. I have drilled out the mushed nozzle and hoping if I tidy it up there shouldn't be a problem but what do I know .
          yea I see them on cmsnl

Comment

The case looks usable to me. The bearings have a steel shell, so should not be a problem.
            The nozzle helps keep the oil pressure about the same though all the bearings. The three smaller holes also keeps it from pushing too much oil, and possibly causing a spun bearing.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Ah ha thank you for the info Ray. I shall tidy the area up and guess helicoil it. What are you thoughts on what XSive said that there is a possibility case's are of one cast. Curiosity always prevales.

Comment

Yes, the cases are machined as a pair. If you were to use a different bottom case, you would need to have the cases line bored on ALL the shaft locations, transmission as well as the crank.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

HazXS, I'd give that case a go for new nozzle and reassembly. A big must = flush out the oil passages of the drilling waste...................

---Bax
                  80 SG, --- Slightly modified with EFI.....

Comment

That settles it really. I will use the original case and I will keep updating on the progress of this bike. Its a slow burner but a truly wonderful bike.

Comment

Not the end of the thread but thank you all so far in taking the time to respond.

Comment

Originally posted by HazXS View Post
                        thank you all so far in taking the time to respond.
                        No problem mate. Got to keep these old XS's alive and kicking. BTW, if you haven't already been notified, you are now the latest member of XS1100UK Club forum.

Comment

Ah finally! Yea they are a nice bike. I'm going to put wiseco 1179 pistons. Got 2 and now getting the other 2 next month. Got new crank and conrod bearing coming by the end of the month. Not sure if people are interested in progress and parts but can do a feed if that's a thing. This is all new to me. Though????

Comment

What i would do if it hasn't already been done is to do the 2nd gear washer swap Find the info here Addendum(s) to 1st/2nd gear tranny fix - XS11.club Forums I've done it on 3 engines even if it's just a precaution because some engines don't have a gearbox problem and some do and it's better to do it while the engine is apart than find out after it's all back together. Just my two penneth worth.

Comment

Thanks for the info yea I have heard about this issue. I have a weekend of sorting parts out so I will look into it this Saturday. This issue seems to be hereditary throughout other models of yamaha

Comment

Working...
                              X