No announcement yet.

Bax Cave Winter Project..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like the re-threading attempt on the combo fluid temp/pressure sensor was successful. The die was held squared up to the existing threads and a new minor diameter is cut along the sensor mating protrusion. I did a test fit on the bike, looks good, checked the oil passage with the borescope and the sensor tip does not protrude into the passage. Score one for the easy way.

---Bax
    Attached Files
    80 SG, --- Slightly modified with EFI.....

Comment

And the view from the borescope.

---Bax
      Attached Files

Comment

Got my intake manifolds back from the plating shop today. Pic of the anodized finish. I'll try and get them attached to the TB array later tonight.

---Bax

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4209.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	863671

Comment

Fitup on the TB array was spot on.

---Bax

Name:	IMG_4210.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	863673

Comment

Howdy from Deer Park, Texas (near Houston). I'm following your thread. It's interesting to see a different but similar approach to installing a fuel injection system on these wonderful motorcycles. I swapped out my carbs in 2006 and wrote this report. https://knez.org/vehicles/Stan-Hutch...c.org/_dhutch/
            Last year I wrote a follow up report.
            '80 XS1100LG Midnight Special
            Looks like an '82 Maxim, Fuel Injected
            '82 XJ1100J, Fuel Injected
            Stan Hutchison

Comment

Here's the follow-up link

https://knez.org/vehicles/Stan-Hutch...pdate-2020.php

I also EFI'ed an '80 XS1100 with very similar results, all very positive. I look forward to seeing the final product. If you need "encouragement", please give me a shout. I know how frustrating this activity can be. I'll continue to follow your postings. God Speed, Stan H.
              Stan Hutchison

Comment

shutchis Hi Stan, Thanks for reaching out and the interest in my EFI project version. I have read your postings on the pioneering project multiple times..... Probably had something to do with me starting this engineer kid in a candy store like project..... I do have a question that you have not documented. Fuel pump return -vs- tank vent? So you use one side of the petcocks for supply and other for the return. Since the original tanks only have a weep hole in the cap bladder do you find the tank is equalizing normally with this scheme or have you had to adapt some counter measures, short fill the tank, wait for a few mins before opening the fuel cap, get used to gas smell at rest, etc? I was thinking it may be appropriate to add in a short collar to the fill port and port a checked outlet vent towards the road.

---Bax

Comment

Did a bit of assembly with the fuel pump and suction strainer this evening.

---Bax

Name:	IMG_4211.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	863695

Comment

I'm pulling gas from the right side petcock and it's being returned to the left. Each petcock has two ports. I sealed the front ports with solder (but any suitable plug will work) and I use the rear ports for the fuel lines. The petcock valve settings are set to prime. I never turn them to off except to remove the tank. I no longer worry about leaking carb float valves (yea). Unfortunately, I lost the reserve setting, but knock on wood. I've never run out of gas. I threw the octopus in the parts bin.

I made no changes to the gas tank, but be sure the gas lid vent is working. In those early testing years of '06, I think my vent was blocked. Several times after filling up, I would drive down the road and the bike would stall, as in running out of gas. I think the fuel pump was pulling a vacuum. I made sure the vent was "working", no issues in 13 years. You may ask. Why did I solder the unused port? Two reasons, 1) gas will poor out this port if the petcock valves are set to prime, 2) I originally used a fuel line hose, a plug and a hose clamp but I always fought a battle installing the fuel lines due to the close fit. I made the job easier.
                    Stan Hutchison

Comment

Never a dull moment...... Taking advantage of the past warm week melting a clear path between the shed and asphalt combined with a cold night to freeze the March mud the Harley is on the road. For me, NH bike season 2021 started today. Bit of a set back on the XS21 this afternoon, maybe more like something else to fix. There is a nice crack on the Heinz-Wyes SS exhaust where the pipes join below the shift lever....... Ughhhh, the TIG weld repair is easy, restoring the finish is the PIA.......

---Bax
                      Attached Files

Comment

stress crack from the pipe weld. If you have a bit of SS sheet, I'd make a small triangle from the cross tube to the pipe to reinforce it a bit..
                        Last edited by DiverRay; 03-13-2021, 04:16 PM.
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG
                        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

DiverRay Hi Ray, Yeah it looks like the pipe joining weld was a bit thin and had a stop/start where the crack formed. I'll beef up that weld while I'm fixing the crack. Hopefully it won't be a persistent issue once repaired.

---Bax

Comment

Originally posted by Bax View Post
                            COVID keeping me close to home so the XS getting modernized this Winter..... More to follow.

Name:	IMG_3887.JPG
Views:	742
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	861049
                            Hello Bax. Which model is this ITB?
                            tks

Comment

ggazaffi Here is the link.

https://store.jenvey.co.uk/throttle-...xx-ssxx-xx-xx1

Comment

Winter project extended to Spring....... Work has been putting some excessive demands on my time and the last kid in the house (3 of 3) needs to get a drivers license and this round of the student driver thing is scary. Anyway, back to the XS project. Had some time this wknd to work on my fuel pump can, 304 stainless sucks to machine...... I'll orbital weld this flange to the fuel can tomorrow and then make the mate up flange with the pressure takeoff and the internal pump supports in the next few days.

---Bax

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X