No announcement yet.

Bax Cave Winter Project..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letting the fillet forming layer setup.... Again, the hardest part is not touching it too soon....

---Bax

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4180.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	863220
    80 SG, --- Slightly modified with EFI.....

Comment

Plastic weld is all cured and the T-MAP sensor affixed to the airbox. The initial test fitment on the bike was a bit difficult for the location determination when the kit was it three pieces, flange, sensor, & connector. I had to use measurements to check the connector clearance to the frame and thought the centerline mounting was appropriate. I'd say it's a good fitup...

---Bax

Name:	IMG_4185.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	863231
      Attached Files

Comment

5mm is good. Remember the airbox is bolted to the frame, so it should not move.
        Looking nice!
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Continuing on with the modernization today. Sensors, sensors, sensors for the new ECU. MAP is an integral sensor on the ECU so that'll be covered by vac tubing the carb balancing ports to a 4-1 vac manifold back to the ECU. TPS is already on the TB array. I've installed the intake air temp and air box pressure sensor yesterday. I have two combo fluid pressure 0-10bar and temp sensor -40-140C on the way for the engine oil and fuel rail. These Bosch sensors have a male M10-1.0 threaded connection which is readily available for any gauge takeoff on aftermarket AN-6 fuel fittings making the fuel system monitoring rather easy to port into. I have the fuel pump setup mostly roughed out and I'm currently having a pump tank made up to feed the rail so nothing to play with yet on the fuel front.... Now the oil pressure/temp..... The oil temp will take place of the coolant temperature input that liquid cooled engines would normally use. I poked around for a few good places to monitor oil temp, low hanging fruit would be to use the drain port on the pan but useless for pressure and sensors under the bike are less than ideally placed. Considered a modification of a spin on filter adapter with a sensor port, again it' would be under the bike. Contact sensor on the oil supply pipe to the head, hmmm, again useless for pressure and the oil is already thermally lazy compared to water/glycol mix and the external pipe temp monitoring scheme would just add delay to an already sluggish response time. Use the existing pressure switch port, nice placement, plenty of room with no float bowls crowding it, going for it. So I want to keep the oil light function so I'll just program an aux output for the existing sw: (if >300rpm & oil pressure <4.5psi) or something like that. Now the sensor fit, never easy.......the OEM switch uses 1/8 BSPT threads (I have a collection of Japanese built machines at work, BSPP and BSPT are a total PIMA) which is not popular for sensors anymore. Adding to the mismatch is the clearance to the overhanging head. I'm going to have to make an adaptor with 1/8 BSPT male threads and M10-1.0 female threads with the ports at least 15 degrees offset. First guess is that this is not a readily stocked item....... This is going to be a fun one to make up.

---Bax
          Last edited by Bax; 02-15-2021, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Still scheming up the sensor fit...It'll be close but depending on the class fit of the sensor threads and connector added dimensions I may just rethread the sensor to 1/8 BSPT. Not too much there to cut into with a die but it may just work.....

thread specs on M10-1.0
            Major diameter 9.974mm
            Minor diameter 8.9mm - 8.6mm depending on 4g or 6g tolerance

BSPT minor diameter d3 on attached chart 8.5mm, might leave enough to bite and seal with o-ring instead of the thread mesh......

Thinking it may be worth "rolling the die" (see what I did there...).

---Bax
            Attached Files

Comment

Thinking it's going to fit....... The connector mates over the sensor and is well clear of the head in place. I'm just going to attempt to rethread the new sensor. I'll have it in the scroll chuck for sure and run the die squared up against the tail stock.

---Bax
              Attached Files

Comment

Your project is moving along. If you would share with all of us all of the components you are working with. I have been doing a bit of research and would be interested in a list of all the components your employing. Might help all of us ... both in understanding and who knows we might have some beneficial input So far .... your work looks phenomenal.
                2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                81 LH
                02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Bax View Post
                  Thinking it's going to fit....... The connector mates over the sensor and is well clear of the head in place. I'm just going to attempt to rethread the new sensor. I'll have it in the scroll chuck for sure and run the die squared up against the tail stock.

---Bax
                  This may be an option for your oil pressure sensor.
                  The SS fitting was made by a member that is sadly no longer with us, but I'm sure can be duplicated.
                  The fitting replaces a banjo bolt and has an 1/8" NPT for the gauge. Not sure of the size of the banjo bolt, thinking 10 x 1.0, but the hole/port in the shaft of the bolt needs to be spot on as it feeds the bearing on the middle drive I believe.

Name:	DSC02783.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	863336

Name:	DSC02785.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	863335
                  Attached Files
                  1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                  1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                  1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                  1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                  1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Schming Nice pressure take off application. I did consider using that machining port access for this sensor but never took out the plug bolt as the pressure switch port seemed like a fitting placement. If I don't kill the sensor with the re-threading attempt I'll check it out again in more detail. What do you normally see for oil pressure there? Clod, Hot, Idle, Rev'd ---Manual has it at 42psi "cruising speed".

---Bax

Comment

Originally posted by Bax View Post
                      Schming Nice pressure take off application. I did consider using that machining port access for this sensor but never took out the plug bolt as the pressure switch port seemed like a fitting placement. If I don't kill the sensor with the re-threading attempt I'll check it out again in more detail. What do you normally see for oil pressure there? Clod, Hot, Idle, Rev'd ---Manual has it at 42psi "cruising speed".

---Bax
                      O.P. is about 20 to 30 psi + or - a few lbs. idling at startup with enrichener on.
                      At idle when fully warmed around 4 to 10 psi.
                      Fully warm cruising in fifth gear with the 750 FD 30 to 40 psi
                      IIRC

1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                      1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                      1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                      1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                      1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by Schming View Post

O.P. is about 20 to 30 psi + or - a few lbs. idling at startup with enrichener on.
                        At idle when fully warmed around 4 to 10 psi.
                        Fully warm cruising in fifth gear with the 750 FD 30 to 40 psi
                        IIRC
                        Schming Thanks. Around what I was expecting.

----Bax

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post
                          Your project is moving along. If you would share with all of us all of the components you are working with. I have been doing a bit of research and would be interested in a list of all the components your employing. Might help all of us ... both in understanding and who knows we might have some beneficial input So far .... your work looks phenomenal.
                          cajun31 Here are a few of the main components and a brief on my selection. I'll be sure to do a final report when I've got it back on the road.

The throttle bodies. I got these configured in an array with the setting 78-83-78. Best measurements I could get with the Mikuni set on the bike measured this spacing. I think 84mm is the book center spacing dimension but I used what was actually measured. Very helpful folks at Jenvey.

https://store.jenvey.co.uk/throttle-...xx-ssxx-xx-xx1

Injector info is at start of this thread.

ECU. I am using the EMU Black. It will fit nicely in the same location at the TCI box and can drive coils,15amp output, directly without the need for an igniter module. I considered the megasquirt build and checked out the other popular makers, Haltech, Fueltech, Holley, Bosch and many others.....

https://ecumasterusa.com/products/ec...=8318139039805

Fuel pump. Got a 30mm CNT in tank fuelpump. Appropriate flow sized for feeding the the 4 injectors, will not add too much heat to the fuel from excessive flow, and it will not draw much amperage. I'm making up a can for it to sit in.

https://www.fuelpumpfactory.com/prod...uring-300-2011

I've only roughed out my plans for the ignition system, nothing purchased yet. If/when I sort out a cam position sensor this may be (my goal) the XS running on 4 independent coils........

This is the guts of the BOM I got going so far Jim

---Bax

Comment

cajun31 Jim, This is the info for the combo T-MAP I used on the air box and the oil/fuel pressure & temp. The EMU Black has SW selectable input terminations. The temp sensors inputs will be set to 4.7k ohm pull up.

---Bax

here is the catalog link, both sensors are in section 7

https://www.bosch-motorsport.com/med...20.pdf#page191

pics of the sensor pages
                            Attached Files

Comment

The ECU you have selected is an amazing device. I have been reading the owners manual and basically you can do just about anything you want to with that mounted. I was curious about your selection of sensors too. I tip my hat to you on the entire undertaking. Definitely not for the faint of heart.
                              2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                              81 LH
                              02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                              22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                              Jim

Comment

Got the bulk of the "in tank" fuel pump can made up today, 2" stainless tube with an end cap. First I'll be making up some centering rings to support the fuel pump and then I'll make up the access flange with the outlet fitting and power feed thru. Got a couple of barb fittings to place radially as inlets from each side of the tank. ---Bax

Name:	IMG_4193.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	863412

Comment

Working...
                                X