Who owns the fastest XS11?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1978 XS-11

A few years ago I had my 1978 XS up to 130mph and it felt like it still wanted to go but backed out of it,,My rear tire wasnt all that great!!
    1978 Yamaha XS-1100 STD
    1979 Yamaha XS-1100 Special
    1978 Yamaha XS-1100 STD
    1984 Honda V-65 Magna
    1984 Kawasaki ZN-1100
    1984 Honda V-65 Sabre
    1980 Yamaha XS-1100 STD
    2003 Suzuki Katana 750
    2006 SUZUKI HAYABUSA 1300R

Comment

• most time at 120+

I just picked it up last fall and so far I've made three trips from Ohio to DC and back, with an average speed between 95 and 100. Plus, I'm lucky enough to have a couple of good stretches on the quickest way to work that are straight and flat and without side roads for the fuzz to hide. Daily, I bring my '79 (with the good 160mph spedo.) up to ~115 (~9000 rpm) in fourth then cruise up to 120-130 (max so far) in fifth every time the traffic will allow.

I don't know how the guy drove it before me but the last 8K of its 25K total have given me a real high average speed. My own 150 lbs keeps the acceleration rapid and the top speed available. It's been taken care of, and I've kept the tradition up. It hasn't been modified yet though, so I'm sure its not the fastest, even though I'm sure I spend more time at 120+ than most.
      '79 XS1100F

Comment

• This old race prepped XS11, must have a good top speed, check out it's wild carb(s?) The other musclebike pic, a GS thou, tricked. I've seen that bike (the GS) racing down here a few times, very fast, no shortage of horsepower there

Comment

• MINE IS!!!

0-$400 in the break of a pipe!!

Seriously though, mine wouldn't hold a candle to some of the bikes on this site, but I do know it'll tag 120 before I realize how fast I'm going! If I had to guess, I would venture 145 to be tops, but she does scream. Someday I'll have the cajones to find out...on a closed track under controlled conditions...
          "Rat Rod"
          79 XS1100 Standard
          87 VMAX cans
          Cheap Japanese Tires
          Cobalt Blue Rattle Can Paint
          Custom Lighting on a Budget

Perry Center Fire Department
          Perry Emergency Ambulance

"If we don't do it, who will?"

Some people have one of those days, I have one of those lives...

Comment

• '78E

I'm still a fairly new rider and haven't had the old girl over 70.

The person my dad bought it from was a bike mechanic and he said that this bike is set-up to be as fast as it can be running on all motor.

Biggest jets ever made...carbs syched...I dont know the name brand, but there are some special headers on it..I believe 1-4 go out the right and 2-3 go out the left...might be vice versa...

So your guess is as good as mine at the top speed, but he said it's very fast.
            Last edited by DenzComp; 08-15-2007, 09:10 PM.

Comment

• Lessee now,
              best could be said of my machine is that it runs on all 4 cylinders. And hauls a sidecar.
              And is driven by a timid old man. Betcha I got the slowest.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

• Mine is the fastest. I credit it to the stock air box, and missing heat shields on the pipes (makes it lighter)
                "It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees."

Comment

• well i have had my xs up to 130 and do it with out a prob

Comment

• Hi Clint,
                    visit Ontario and you will have a prob.

"If a driver is caught going 50 kilometres over the speed limit, police have the power to impound the vehicle for seven days, issue a minimum $2,000 fine and suspend your driver's licence for seven days.
                    And there is no right of appeal in the case of a suspension or impoundment, police say."

FYI:- 130mph = 210kph. Max speed limit in Ontario is 110kph. Looks like at 100kph over rather than 50 you can have your bike impounded for and your licence suspended for 14 days and the minimum fine will be $4,000.
                    But your 130mph was on the track, right?
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

• I had a half race gsxr1100 that I had up to an indicated 270kph on the number one just West of Medicine Hat - glad there was no monkeys around that day!
                      Si Parker
                      '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

Comment

• originally posted by Fred
                        "If a driver is caught going 50 kilometres over the speed limit
                        Here in CA CA land can be arrested for doing 15+ over speed limit. Been that way for ever, considered "reckless driving".

mro
                        would bet every state has simular law.

Comment

• My spedo only goes up to 85 but I am sure I have hit around 110. Thats when landscape was coming up way to fast for me. I worry about dogs or cats crossing the road.

When I was 14 I had my 350 opened up and hit a cat. It was our cat actually. Could have caused a bad accident but instead it just ripped the hair out of its back. He came home about a week latter. -1 life.

Any faster you guys are crazy but what a rush I am sure!!!
                          1980 XS Eleven Special

Comment

• Speed

I sold Kawasakis for a living and decided to see what all the hoopla was about the crotch rockets . I took a year old 636 for a run Topped it out at 285 klms per hour and had the front wheel in the air up to 170 klms per hour. My one and only ride on one of those never again ty. I would ever lose my lic or my life i like the wick too much. Thats why i now ride a big old log splitter!!
                            Doug
                            Doug Mitchell
                            82 XJ1100 sold
                            2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
                            2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
                            1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
                            47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

• Wellll Now,
                              I ain't sure that the Dragon is the fastest XS anywhere but she is the fastest I have ever been on, and I have been on four. I do know that the original owner told the PO that it had been "big Jugged" and I do know that she will go into the "red" in fifth quite easily. I also know that she will touch 90 in second but that is well into the red and was caused by an idiot in a mini van. I do not think that there was any tranny work done on her but without a tear down I won't be able to find out, for the same reason I don't know how big a bore job has been done on her.
                              A while back I had the oportunity to take her out on an airport runway for some fun and in a moment of insanity agreed to do it.
                              I don't know if the speedo is accurate at any speed above a hundred so I strapped the GPS to the fairing and had at it. The PO had warned me that she gets a little light in the front end at anything over about 125 and he is certainly correct there! But insanity was running rampant and I kept on twisting her tail until all of a sudden it got REAL light in the front and a large surge of adrenalin brought some sanity back FAST. I do know that I saw the speedo past the 140 mark and the tach into the red. The GPS said top speed at 145 and I give a little more faith to that but do not know if I was up there long enough for it to have been 100% accurate or not.
                              At any rate that is the fastest I have gone except in the airplane and that is the way it is going to stay!!! I WILL NOT TRY IT AGAIN! She has now got well over 50K on her and I will not abuse her that bad ever again, not to speak of myself! It took over two days for the shakes to go away. If you think having the front wheel come off the ground at that speed is fun, you have at it, I was about 55 at the time and don't know what I was thinking about, it was not the right thing I can tell you that.
                              I would have to agree with most of the people on this post, without the big bore change I have never been on an XS that would go into the red that easily (if at all)(in fifth gear I mean). You guys can have at it, I will stay with eating up the V-Rods at the stop lights, they hate that!!!! I suppose that if I spent over 20 grand on a bike and some old fart with an antique bike kicked my ass I would not like it either but that is just the way it goes some days. (hee hee hee)
                              The Old Tamer
                              1981 XS1100SH (The Black Dragon)

If there are more than three bolts holding it on there, it is most likely a very important part!

Comment

• I can travel back in time on my 80 MNS and return at a later time than which I departed. Probably way over the speed limit.

Comment

Working...
                                X