Who owns the fastest XS11?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Own It Now!

I'm not that crazy to take this thing to the limit... I figure the blue streak will easily do 150 maybe 160....no joke....I changed the final gear ratio, and she pulls just as hard at 110mph as she does at 80 mph...SICK!
    MDRNF
    79F.....Not Stock
    80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

• A higher gear ratio won't increase top speed without downhill/tailwind assistance, as actually the stock XS11 gearing gives the most power in 5th gear. The designers were clued up and cunning! Chop, open her right out in 5th and you'll find at around 120 mph the real struggle begins

Comment

• sorry to bust your bubble

The thing is pulling just as hard in 5th gear with the new gears. The stock final gear ratio is 3.3, my new gearing is 2.9....4th gear now feels like old 5th.... driving home from work at 70mph, the rpm is noticeably lower....
        MDRNF
        79F.....Not Stock

Comment

• ...so you plan on sharing the how-to's of this this marvellous modification with the rest of us schmoes?

To me, it stands to reason that if you can boost the horsepower of the engine AND modify your final drive gear ratio, you should be able to get quite a bit more top end, and probably more fuel efficiency as well.

...I'd sure love to cruise at 70mph at 3k RPM...
          Kristoffer
          "Take apart yer carbs!"
          1978 XS1100E - "The Maroon Baboon" (SOLD)
          1979 XS1100 (3 of them) in the garage. Not deserving of names yet.

Comment

• Chop, stock gearing in 5th is 15.5 mph per 1000 revs, mine's set up at 17.5 mph per 1000. I did try a few other ratios(taller) but the 17.5 mph per 1000 is the one I like best. Sounds like your XV ratio could be similar.

Comment

• It's bizarre the motor pulls like a f*** train even with waay tall gears, mine was doing 110 kph in 1st and 2nd good for 90 mph but gets there just as quick as the normal gears. 3rd is an easy ton, 4th arm-wrenching forward after that and just as fast as 5th gear usually(top speed) 3000revs @ 100 kph was that same ratio and that's the max limit you'd use on the road bike. 140 mph was quickest I done on that gear. Down a hill or with hotter cams or a few other tweaks 150mph for sure if you're game. Nitrous would be off the planet on an XS11, if 3rd,4th and 5th gears could handle it. Gearbox needs beefing up inside for 1st and 2nd.

Comment

• Mph/1k

Hey pggg, according to your stock gearing figures, I am now doing 17.7 mph/ 1K revs. The final drive gear ratio now is definitely 2.90/1 and the XS11 is 3.3/1 when I rotated to make sure. The final gear box is not from an XV, I went another route and installed new gears to the 11's drive hub I figure a 65 mph, I am revving @3600 RPM. This is awesome because because the passing gear is outlandish. you can either hit the throttle and wait for the G to kick in, or drop to forth and you better not be week in the wrists....
                MDRNF
                79F.....Not Stock

Comment

• Nitrous???

originally posted by pggg
                  Nitrous would be off the planet on an XS11, if 3rd,4th and 5th gears could handle it.
                  new set of flat sides I'm playing with are set up for adding it

mro

Comment

• light weight

Remember, the Blue Streak is about 70 lbs lighter than when I got her. I don't even have a center stand, not to mention that heavy setup of a stock rear fender/light combo or that monster 10 lb seat! probably lost another 5 lbs from the headlight/gauges....I hope the gsxr carbs will really add another 25 horses, if so I won't be needing to do the big bore on the Streak, but who knows...
                    MDRNF
                    79F.....Not Stock

Comment

• You guys are sick and you badly need help.

But you are doing great things with the XS11, so don't see a doctor...

I'm still waiting for someone to sell a complete fuel injection package with instructions.

Ben
                      1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
                      1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
                      1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
                      1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
                      1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
                      1982 XS650
                      1980 XS1100g
                      1979 XS1100sf
                      1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

• No way Id' get past 95 or so, because intense high frequency engine vibration around 7k makes me worry, like it going to vibrate itself apart.

I presume this is because of poor carb tuning/valve spacing
                        (or is this normal?)
                        XJ 1100
                        XJ 550

Comment

• agreed. If I had a 6th gear, I'd consider taking it above 100.
                          Kristoffer
                          "Take apart yer carbs!"
                          1978 XS1100E - "The Maroon Baboon" (SOLD)
                          1979 XS1100 (3 of them) in the garage. Not deserving of names yet.

Comment

• My XS1100 is the fastest XS1100 at my house..... both of them (the E is faster and quicker that the LG). SWMOB's XV1100 dosen't stand a chance but is a nice bike too.
                            Pat Kelly
                            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                            1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                            2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                            1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                            1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

• Intense high frequency engine vibration must mean there's something wrong there, some of the engine mount bolts might have stripped threads or something, combined with unbalanced carbs and other stuff, may be the shaftdrive or wheel bearings.

Comment

• I ran my '80G over 100 a few times and did not notice any untoward vibration / noise. Maybe it's the road surface?

Ralph

Comment

Working...
                                X