Who owns the fastest XS11?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pgggg

hate to burst your bubble there pg ,but my xj is still pulling strong at 9,000 plus rpm's. and i do it quite freakwently. but for the 150,i'm with ya. theese bikes ain't geared for that.i can't say how fast mine goes i'm only guessing 130 ish ,the last cop never did tell me the exaxct speed i was going.
    1982 XJ 1100
    going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
    now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

The Top of the Bottom and the Bottom of the Top

Talk Turkey! Before you impune Bob Merriam's work you should probably reconsider. Ist off, his "Beater" E model was turned into a 1300 years ago and is comfortably in the neighborhood of 200K miles without benefit or neccesity of any top end (That would be that cumbersome valve train) or and other attention down to not performing the famous "second gear fix" as drag starts in second tend to limit longevity in both machinery and operator. Second there is more to ultimate wheel speed than mere gear ratios. Most of are cognizant (US spelling) of the 16in./17in. Special/Standard rear wheel diameter difference and given C=3.414XD your final drive ratio begins to get lower numerically rapidly as that distance around the outer rear goes up. Torque and a tall final drive will get VERY close to wild maximum, not mean, piston speeds neccesary to pull horsepower figures talked about for this 150+ club. An additional consideration is rear tire aspect ratio. The trend is to low profile fat gumballs that obviate the need for a centerstand, but a stiff, bias ply tire in a slightly taller side-wall that cuts the fender clearance down to pucker and polish will go a long way toward getting toward ultimately insane velocities (Can We Spell Bonneville Flats?) before going back to Germany for a change of ring and pinion. There is of course (emphasize Course) a lot more to this than putting a carbon fiber scatterschield in your shorts and and closing one eye till the rods turn into geostationary satellites from a rolling sarcophagus.
      Christopher. "The Gimp"

Comment

i had one that do 150 mph but it barely resembeld the 80 special
        that it started life as...it was mostly all motor work and no gearing changes, still had the 16 inch rear wheel on it
        i used it for drag races...the stock gearing was too high,i got my best times when i wound out 4th
        all it had was a tach so i had to rely on every one else
        the guys on the new sport bikes would still kill me up top,but no one on the old bikes could hang with me
        turbo Jonny said its the fastest turd he had ever seen

Comment

Hey Chev, your rev counter's dodgy mate! xEx, I don't believe anything I hear that comes out of merriam cycle! Cheers.

Comment

My bike does 10,000 in 1st and in 2nd, about 9000 in 3rd, struggle to do 9000 in 5th, and no way in 5th - the powerband is way gone 3000 revs back.

Comment

Mine only does 10,000 RPM when I find that not so elusive false netural .
              Pat Kelly
              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
              1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
              2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
              1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
              1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

tachs good

i don't shift untill i feel it start to fall off on power.usually around 9,500-9,700 rpms.I can and WILL prove to anyone what i say ,just get your arse on over here to the local drag strip and drive it your self!
                1982 XJ 1100

Comment

Am booking my plane ticket and crating my beast for a showdown at Illinois dragstrip right now! Should be the easiest beers I've ever won. (Yeah... if only...)

Comment

bring it pggg

come on over, i meant you ride the piss outta my bike to prove it to you. no need to bring yours...and the beers...no bets i'll bye,now wasn't that easy
                    1982 XJ 1100

Comment

Good one chev. My shout though. Mind you I'd feel hesitant to redline someone else's machine. I'm sure the XJ would handle it though. All this 100+ mph talk got me feeling adventurous - just took the old dunger for a blast this afternoon down me favourite deserted road. Had side winds so conditions weren't that crash hot. Maxxed out at 197kph on the digital speedo for a minute or so. Couldn't find a tailwind so not too bad really. May have to seriously consider giving up KFC and MacDonalds though.

Comment

I've been reading alot about the "150 mph" stuff. The biggest question I have about 150 mph is WHY??!!! The XS and XJ are plenty fast both off the line and on the distance. You can sustain 110 mph all day long ( if you didn't have to stop all the time for fuel ) But at that speed, you'll eventually be slowed down by the law, traffic, wild life, weather, etc. I cruz at 70 to 80. when I gas on it, she moves pretty good. I can see 150 mph on a strip and only on a strip. This is a controled enviroment without having to worry about grandpa Kettle pulling in front of you in his cornfield dump truck. There's alot to riding at 150 mph plus. As said earlier, every mph gained is a huge milestone and you ARE running a knifes edge. A blow out is not the same at 70 mph as it is at 150+. There. I feel better now.
                        S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
                        1-big XS patch
                        1-small XS/XJ patch
                        1-XS/XJ owners pin.
                        1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
                        2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
                        1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
                        1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Why you say?

i gave up weed so now i feel the NEED FOR SPEED, And actually you can get just as dead at 0-5mph as you can at 200 so why not?(this is just good harted joking, don't take it as a fight...lol,but i really did quit smoking ) P.s. what you got left to part out on the xj? message me.
                          1982 XJ 1100

Comment

Czek of course you're right if someone wants 150mph then why not just get any sort of plastic fantastic. The market has oodles of 150mph bikes. If my XS did 150mph I'd be bitching and moaning about not doin 170.

Comment

Well 125mph on my 79 and ran out of guts. lol
                              Motor cop

Comment

There is a post on here for the east coast timing association. Check that out. I think top speed on those 1,300cc bikes was around 257 I have sphincter pucker holding me to the seat before I hit 100
                                "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                                1981 LH

Comment

Working...
                                X