No announcement yet.

Who owns the fastest XS11?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

denny my xs with the 'can' mod is MUCH snappier.
    That is what I experienced as well.
    DZ
    Vyger, 'F'
    "The Special", 'SF'
    '08 FJR1300

Comment

dennyz what is a can mod? i'm a new xs1100e owner. drilled the air box and she runs like a raped ape thanks morgzilla.

Comment

Here's Denny's 'can mod'. The can is obvious. The custom work on the header going into the can is not quite so obvious. Swweeeettt!
        Ken Talbot

Comment

The can I used is off an '02 R1. The header is a Jardine 4:1 (painted). I had to fabricate the muffler hanger, the header pipe that runs betweet the collector and can. I also had to modify the stock aluminum muffler mounts (cut off the buddy pegs).

My theory is that the R1 breaths 140+ HP through this can, so my XSs 95 HP sees no restriction (or very little). The motor runs very similar to an open header without the noise.

My XS is very quiet, with the carburators breathing through the drilled air box is the sound I am treated to. The bike has a very nice big CC sound (low purr). I can grab a hand full of throttle, pull a nice little wheely and not broadcast to every law officer with in three counties.

On long rides the quiet motor is very comfortable.

Beechfront,

Post us a picture of your can mod.
          DZ
          Vyger, 'F'
          "The Special", 'SF'
          '08 FJR1300

Comment

can mod

I still think that can looks KILLER on your scooter Denny.Now how bout a can from a yammy warior? all three and a half feet worth....lol
            1982 XJ 1100
            going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
            now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

this mod is VERY quiet.

PICS FOUND HERE:

Comment

Nice job Beachfront. Your bike is the 5th XS that I know of with a R1 Can strapped on.
                DZ
                Vyger, 'F'
                "The Special", 'SF'
                '08 FJR1300

Comment

stoplight to stoplight is the most fun

Top speed doesn't matter when your hotshot buddy is driving a Harley. Every time we stop at a stoplight next to eachother he has to rev it up and let it rumble... Of course, I in turn rev my XJ and let it sing..

So when he takes off and pours it on, me lagging behind intentionally, then I punch it and run it up to about 90 as I buzz by him. He said he thought I was pushing him.

My XJ? probably not the fastest but with the boys I ride with, I've got em beat cold. And really what matters most is that I can blow the oil filter off of most harleys from stoplight to stoplight. I like to give him crap about how I bought the bike for less than one of his payments on his ($200).

Tom B.

Comment

Okay guys, I've got a friend with a new Honda ST 1300, looks like a plastic scooter (albeit oversized) and he says he'll blow my doors off any time. Mine is just back from the shop from a good mechanic I trust, he synced the carbs and cleaned them. It's never run better than it is right now. Just feels like lightning to me. Tranny is good. Bike runs like a top. I'm not going to get into the over 100 club, I know he'll kill me top end, I'm just looking for some quickness off the line. He says he's got 111 horsepower. Am I about to get toasted? Its hard to believe, but I'm just curious to wonder beforehand...
                    The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Psalm 19:1

Comment

Off the line, It's all about torque. After that, it's about horsepower
                      I might have a bike that's got you beat on torque and if i'm smart, I'll only race you from stop light to stop light. Now if you have more torque then I do but I've got you well beat on horsepower. I'm only gonna race you for distance. The distance will let the hosepower pass up the torque. I wouldn't put my title on it though... Mabee a 12 pack of beer would be in order.
                      S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
                      1-big XS patch
                      1-small XS/XJ patch
                      1-XS/XJ owners pin.
                      1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
                      2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
                      1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
                      1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

I have no intention of putting my title on it, just for braggin' rights. I'll keep the race short! Thanks-- Man I love this bike.

Mike
                        The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Psalm 19:1

Comment

Well I am still putting it back together, long story, but I remember going for a ride with my dad when I had an F2 about 8 years ago I topped out my bike at 137 and he passed me in a glance. He rebuilt the engine Im not sure what all he did to it, my first guess is alot, and he put his 38 flat slides on from his drag bike. He said he was going around 150. Ill let you know as soon as its done

Comment

Regarding 150 mph XS11's that don't have altered gearboxes, or turbo's with massive component rebuilds, well, I've yet to be convinced. Sure, a tweaked XS motor can put out the horses to break into the 150 mph barrier, but the brick wall to face is the gearing ratios.

No sweat on a chain drive bike, just slap on a suitable rear sprocket. An XS11 has to pull strongly at 9500 revs in 5th gear to hit 150. You're talking major mods to get that sort of RELIABLE power. Merriam cycle claim all sorts of garbage for their hotted XS's. eg.. sportsbike handling. Ha! Get real! 160mph on stock gearing! Ha! Show me some bloody proof! Some people don't realise what a huge step up 130mph to 150mph really is.

We're talking dangerous risks. Stupidity. Red lines aren't just for fun you know. Blow ya motor at 150mph and see what happens! Don't forget when battling wind resistance, every SINGLE MPH gained is a major mission. You're gonna need BIG power gains, exceptional conditions, and taller gearing to hit 150. 150mph with stock gearing - well, the motor wouldn't even come close to resembling a stock XS11 motor.

Comment

Please Let Us Define "Reliable"
                              Christopher. "The Gimp"

Comment

To hit 150mph you're gonna need to use your 6000 - 8000 rev power band. (re-geared) After 8000 or so, your power curve is dropping like a stone. The 2-valve head is gasping breathlessly. The XS's heavy clunky valve train is at it's limit already. Any power increases are nullified by friction and huge internal resistance. The 68mm piston stroke is approaching self-destruct mean piston speeds. Everything is going against ya! Your tyres are probably starting to squirm. Every small bump on the road is magnified. Everything is sitting on a knife edge. Without a change in gearing, your motor's a ticking timebomb at these speeds. To get pulling power at 9500 revs, an XS is gonna need serious modification. High lift cams, port job, completely re-vamped and lightened valve train, full-on nasty flatslides etc.. etc.. at the end of it all you'll be left with one unpracticle pig of a streetbike!

Comment

Working...
                                X