No announcement yet.

Who owns the fastest XS11?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have the fastest, cause a lot of folks have the big bore kit, but I don't think no one else has a faster standard, than I do. LOL. Later 'Dog

Comment

Something around 9,000 RPM in 5th gear on a long, straight, slight downhill (very slight) and a tail-wind (maybe 20 MPH).
      Just a brief glance at the gauges 2" from my nose. Speedo read 142. Now for how accurate the speedo is, I don't know. This was done once, no need to do it again (unless necessecary). Bike was nekkid at the time.
      With the fairing, bags, and trunk I usually I don't go much over 95 on lonely country roads. With the exception of when I'm 1st in line on a freeway onramp. I then accellerate to 100 then back down to the speed limit before the end of the ramp.
      On the way home from Big Is Deuce I passed a line of cars and was cruising along listening to a CD. When I looked down the speedo read 110 MPH (I slowed down).
      I've had the front end start wobbling at 125 and tho I got it back under control with no problem (wasn't scared but 'really' concerned). Since then I've gotten shy of the "all out" runs. Maybe that's a good thing.
      Pat Kelly
      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

My 79F will pull redline in top gear, the speedo says over 140 but according to the gearing it is more like 135. I think any well tuned XS11 should run to redline in top gear so top speed probably doesn't vary much from bike to bike unless you're willing to take the revs higher which I am not.

Comment

I had my 78 up to 210 kmh with fairing, trunk and hardbags on a newly paved level stretch of road. It was still pulling slightly but I chickened out because I was coming up to a hill and figured the RCMP would make a surprise appearance when I crested.

Comment

Add a 1.

A couple years ago, I was riding at night near one of those devices placed on the shoulder to display your speed. I could see it about a 1/4 mile away, so just wound the bike up in third and fourth gear, listening to the motor and watching the tach. When I blew by the sign, my first thought was " I'm going alot faster than 29 mph.....Ohh!"
            Tim
            1981 LH

Comment

Seems most of the bikes will still push 120. I love the poll feature.

I hope this thread gets everyone's vote. I should have also had something to do with mileage on there in hopes of seeing if the bikes decline based on mileage, or if a 90k miles version can still push that fast.

Griff, I just hauled my 79sf back home, so I only have the 80g standard here in town, now, which I think runs like a 750. My 79sf is fast. Carbs aren't dialed in - haven't had time - but it will bring up the front wheel 2" with the right throttle technique. Of course, the specials have a smaller rear wheel - it *feels* fast. My speedo stops at 30 for some reason. I will call you and we'll trade rides or something.

Ben
              1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
              1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
              1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
              1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
              1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
              1982 XS650
              1980 XS1100g
              1979 XS1100sf
              1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

The fastest I've had MIYAMI with the Vetter fareing and saddlebags, 140 on the clock. Not quite red lined and alot more available. Felt I needed to back down though cuz the front end started feeling REALLY light. I guess she was tryin to fly or something
                I have ran her at a sustained 130 mph. After about five minuted though. Got thinking about tire blowouts, fork failures, wobbles, etc. Decided " time to back down"
                S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
                1-big XS patch
                1-small XS/XJ patch
                1-XS/XJ owners pin.
                1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
                2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
                1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
                1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

I've only got around 600 miles on a totally rebuilt motor. I purchased a newset of perelli sport demons and wanted to feel them in the corner. Took the bike out, got behind a gravel truck and decided to pass. Wasn't sure exactly how fast I was going at first. I just knew it felt really good so I kept the trottle open, shifted into fifth, suddenly felt the bike just take off like it hit it's power band, looked down at the speedO it was on 110, I looked up for a second to make sure no one was in front of me, looked back down it was at 120 plus and about had to change the old underwear. Short stories, the 79F I have felt like it was just getting started , but I lost my balls and let off the trottle.
                  79 XS1100 f (BIGDOG)
                  80 XS650 Special
                  85 KAW 454 LTD
                  Dirty Dan

Comment

I'll put money on my bike anytime! In a 1/4 mile the fastest was 146mph but on the street I dont know because i have no spedo. my buddy with a busa said one time his was at 180 and he could no longer keep up with me so he let off.
                    copy and paste
                    http://www.imagestation.com/members/turbox79

Comment

I answered mine honestly. I have done 105.89 in the quarter mile. I know it will go faster, cause thats only in fourth gear. I also won the motorcycle class race at our track last weekend here in Tucson with an XS, which is too cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just bought a parts bike too, only one month older than mine...

Comment

turbo?

You must have some very scared busa riders there dave. I've personaly witnessed 5 busas all stock doing 165 in the 1/4 mile here with no expereanced riders.And i'm sorry i have to call you out on this one,there is no way your 11 does 190 plus top end turbo or not,period!You claimed stock gears and tranny I say NAY,sorry but i'm not usually like this,but this i would have to see in person,internet story will not cut it here for me.Just because i've personely saw theese feet with my own two eyes.Not to mention STOCK 600cc crotch bikes low in the 11's and STOCK 100cc bikes in the 10's STOCK busas way low 9's or slightly above the 8's
                        Last edited by chevy45412001; 08-17-2004, 08:29 AM.
                        1982 XJ 1100
                        going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
                        now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Somewhere I've seen the maximum transmission speed for the XS. I think it was right around 160?

Ben

Formerly:
                          1982 XS650
                          1980 XS1100g
                          1979 XS1100sf
                          1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

I would have to agree. No matter how fast the engine is running, the gears can only go so far before they start to float.
                            79 XS1100 f (BIGDOG)
                            80 XS650 Special
                            85 KAW 454 LTD
                            Dirty Dan

Comment

The fastest XS? Are you kidding? The Falcon is the absolute fastest XS out there. It emptied my wallet so fast, you couldn't even see it move. Not to mention how fast it burned up every minute of free time I had. Fixing it took me to marriage counseling so fast, I couldn't even see it coming! LOL
                              2010 Kawasaki Z1000
                              1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

Uh oh, looks like someone else voted on the <= 129 range. 130 and above is losing.

But look at that distribution. That amazes me that 25 year old bikes with 25k+ miles will run like that....

Formerly:
                                1982 XS650
                                1980 XS1100g
                                1979 XS1100sf
                                1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Working...
                                X