Misfiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
    Not the field coil wires but pickup coil wire harness that runs under the rear of engine.
    Thanks bikerphil. I’m not sure I’ve even seen that wire harness, but I’ll have another look.
    '81 XS11LH
    '07 Kawasaki VN2000A

Comment

See posts 60 and 62.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I have a big bowl of popcorn all buttered up and salted, sitting here waiting until the show starts. Is the main feature going to be electrical or are the carbs going to steal the show?
        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
          I have a big bowl of popcorn all buttered up and salted, sitting here waiting until the show starts. Is the main feature going to be electrical or are the carbs going to steal the show?
          What kind of oil did you say you wanted on your popcorn?

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
            See posts 60 and 62.
            Hi skids,

Thanks for the tips! I may indeed have to do more rewiring on the bike. I was able to resolve a couple of electrical issues last year by replacing some old wires.
            '81 XS11LH
            '07 Kawasaki VN2000A

Comment

If I remember correctly, you said problems started after washing the bike. This is a common issue with missing ignition, but usually only when not in neutral (in gear) and Scott Compton said the splice in the loom above the left side cover is the culprit. Good luck with tracking down the problem whatever it is.
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptonZap View Post
                What kind of oil did you say you wanted on your popcorn?

Movie theater butter, please!
                Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
                  If I remember correctly, you said problems started after washing the bike. This is a common issue with missing ignition, but usually only when not in neutral (in gear) and Scott Compton said the splice in the loom above the left side cover is the culprit. Good luck with tracking down the problem whatever it is.
                  I believe that splice is below the left engine side (case) cover. Not to be confused with the plastic cover on the side of the bike.
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

I could understand that if the bike was still wet. It's long dried probably.

I'm still thinking maybe a float bowl gasket is impeding a float (s). That's one thing he said that he put new float bowl gaskets on the carbs.
                    Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                      I believe that splice is below the left engine side (case) cover. Not to be confused with the plastic cover on the side of the bike.
                      I checked that wire harness (which was neatly tucked in between the engine and the frame) and there does seem to be a break in it (I'll have to pull it out further to make sure). Some exposed wires could have been touching the frame... If this turns out to be is the case, I'll replace the wires this weekend and keep you all updated.
                      '81 XS11LH
                      '07 Kawasaki VN2000A

Comment

Originally posted by Phare Est View Post
                        I checked that wire harness (which was neatly tucked in between the engine and the frame) and there does seem to be a break in it (I'll have to pull it out further to make sure). Some exposed wires could have been touching the frame... If this turns out to be is the case, I'll replace the wires this weekend and keep you all updated.
                        that harness will also get fouled by water
                        Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Success

I pulled out that wire harness coming out of the pick-up coil and found that it was cracked in one spot because it had been sitting too close to the exhaust. Three of the five wires were exposed. I replaced all five wires using crimp connectors and made a new harness with shrink tubing. I felt certain I had found the culprit, but to my amazement, the engine was still very difficult to start and kept misfiring...

I went ahead and swapped the existing ignition switch with a new one I received earlier this month (https://fortnine.ca/en/emgo-ignition-switch-40-71340). Holding my breath, I pressed the start button: the bike fired up immediately and all cylinders were working oh so smoothly. It's now running like a champ again!

Thanks a million to everyone for the help along the way!
                          '81 XS11LH
                          '07 Kawasaki VN2000A

Comment

Originally posted by Phare Est View Post
                            I pulled out that wire harness coming out of the pick-up coil and found that it was cracked in one spot because it had been sitting too close to the exhaust. Three of the five wires were exposed. I replaced all five wires using crimp connectors and made a new harness with shrink tubing. I felt certain I had found the culprit, but to my amazement, the engine was still very difficult to start and kept misfiring...

I went ahead and swapped the existing ignition switch with a new one I received earlier this month (https://fortnine.ca/en/emgo-ignition-switch-40-71340). Holding my breath, I pressed the start button: the bike fired up immediately and all cylinders were working oh so smoothly. It's now running like a champ again!

Thanks a million to everyone for the help along the way!
                            Good to hear you've had success! May wanna put that original ign. switch in a cup of evaporust overnite. After which wash it all out with hot water and blow it out using an air-hose. Keep for an extra ign. switch.
                            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

So the carbs were having an electrical problem! Kind of... LOL.
                              Really happy you found the problem! Good work and perseverance.
                              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Working...
                              X