No announcement yet.

Misfiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, that's the "octy". Most people bypass and discard it, as it makes it easier to run the fuel lines. It's only reason for being on the bike is to shut off the fuel when the engine is not running. The problem most have with it is the number of fuel lines causes crimps in the lines when putting the tank on, and the bike will not reach full power due to fuel starving.
    do a search on "octy bypass"
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
      Yeah, that's the "octy". Most people bypass and discard it, as it makes it easier to run the fuel lines. It's only reason for being on the bike is to shut off the fuel when the engine is not running. The problem most have with it is the number of fuel lines causes crimps in the lines when putting the tank on, and the bike will not reach full power due to fuel starving.
      do a search on "octy bypass"
      Precisely what I was thinking! Too many fuel lines under that tank. Is it necessary to use non-vacuum petcocks to bypass the "octy"?
      '81 XS11LH
      '07 Kawasaki VN2000A

Comment

As I understand it, you lose the automatic fuel flow. The petcocks will need to be turned on and off manually. This would be no big deal breaker to me! My old honda 350XL was like that and you get used to it. That octopus thing was designed by someone on drugs! The standards are nothing like that!
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

The special has non-vacuum petcocks, hence the octy. Here is what I wrote a while ago to someone else about bypassing the octy.:http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...octy+bypass%22
          Remember to put a cap on the #2 intake boot, as you no longer need it for the octy.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

New coils

I just received the "new" coils taken off a Maxim 1100. I tested them with the ohmmeter and they both seem to be good, although I haven't installed them on the bike yet. I'll keep everyone updated.
            '81 XS11LH
            '07 Kawasaki VN2000A

Comment

Nice work on figuring out they might be the problem, I hope they work! You sure are “on an island” up there!

You would be in the running and probably a shoe-in winner of the golden drain plug at the Colorado rally this summer. July 11-15 in Durango. It is awarded at my discretion for people who come a long way to the rally, deflect deer off their FJR with no damage and duck airborne Kerker baffles launched from the guy in front under hard acceleration. Russ was the inaugural winner last year for two of those three being attained.
              Last edited by Bonz; 05-21-2019, 07:21 PM.
              Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

I replaced my octy with a Pingel fuel valve and that works great and also run fuel filters which greatly help.I think to remove my carbs, I disconnect 2 fuel lines.
                1980 XS1100 SG
                Inline fuel filters
                New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                160 mph speedometer mod
                Kerker Exhaust
                xschop K & N air filter setup
                Dynojet Recalibration kit
                1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Is it the stock petcocks feeding down to a pingel valve and then on to the carburetors?
                  Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

I actually have Pingel petcocks on my bike and have the original petcocks in my apartment.I only had to have 1 Pingel petcock rebuilt by them in the whole time they been on the bike-maybe 20 years.
                    1980 XS1100 SG
                    Inline fuel filters
                    160 mph speedometer mod
                    Kerker Exhaust
                    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

Gotcha, so each side feeds 2 carbs.
                      Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Yes I did some other plumbing work but it is set-up real nice
                        1980 XS1100 SG
                        Inline fuel filters
                        160 mph speedometer mod
                        Kerker Exhaust
                        1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

Good work.
                          Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Bonz-I see you have a ZRX 1200-I have a 99 ZRX 1100.
                            1980 XS1100 SG
                            Inline fuel filters
                            160 mph speedometer mod
                            Kerker Exhaust
                            1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

Yes, I'm pretty active over on the zrxoa forum. Have you ever joined up there?

I've done a lot to the bike. Running ZZR 1200 cams, ZX11/ZZR1200 CVK40 carbs, pods, double valve springs, ZX11 ECU that raises the rev limit to 11,500, JE high-compression pistons, Muzzy full system, custom valved and sprung stock KYB shocks, Sonic springs up-front, GSXR front calipers, lots weight reduction elsewhere.

There are times I wish I hadn't sold my pair of pristine 80SG,'s but they really weren't comfortable for me anymore with the knee bend given my height and leg length.
                              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Yes I been a member since 2006? I just got done replacing a throttle cable and cleaning the carbs on mine. I was thinking about selling it as I didn't ride it much after an accident in 2012 but the place where I go wont give me much money but he will sell it for way more. I will ride it more often now so it doesn't sit.
                                1980 XS1100 SG
                                Inline fuel filters
                                160 mph speedometer mod
                                Kerker Exhaust
                                1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

Working...
                                X