No announcement yet.

Sebastian's Bike Restore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For waterproof, go with a marine radio. A little more money, but designed for wet places! Check https://www.westmarine.com/marine-stereo-systems, They start at about $80, but should fit well! If you look, there are places for the speakers in the fairing as well, so the $80 kit give you everything...
    You should LOVE the Pacifico fairing, they look big but do a MUCH better job of going through the wind than the Vetter. I've had both on the same bike, and got about 4mpg better with the Pacifico.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
      I would like to meet up.
      Bonz/Skids,

I work from home these days so my schedule is pretty flexible. The only days that I have hard commitments are Wednesday morning and Friday after 12pm. I am headed out to go camping this weekend so that's a no-go.

As for what we can get done on the carbs, I think until I get the mixture screws replaced I'm stuck. Not sure what else we can knock out but I'm open to suggestions!

-Sebastian
      79 SF

Comment

Okay, let us know if you need help with anything that is left to do.

Sounds like the carbs are basically back together other than putting the mixture screws in.

And you have the mounting holes for the fairing bracket squared away too.

Is the wiring looking like it's going to be Plug and Play once you get a connector?
        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
          Okay, let us know if you need help with anything that is left to do.

Sounds like the carbs are basically back together other than putting the mixture screws in.

And you have the mounting holes for the fairing bracket squared away too.

Is the wiring looking like it's going to be Plug and Play once you get a connector?
          I'm thinking it should be rather straight forward when I wire up the fairing, providing colors all are correct on the wires (crossing fingers). It also looks like I need to get a key made to open the dumb thing (not sure if I ever opened it up). The saddle bag key doesnt work with the fairing.
          79 SF

Comment

I think I found the air mixture screws on Partzilla.com, I'm hoping they are the correct replacements. Anyone have experience with that site?
            79 SF

Comment

Partzilla is a good place.

When I was in your carbs years ago Sebastian, they have different mixture screws for 78 and 79 did they do for my 1980 if I remember correctly.

Just do a little research and look at some different kits (compare to your busted ones) and be sure yours have the bigger diameter head (I believe). The ones for 1980 and beyond have a smaller diameter head. That is how I recall to identify them.

Someone can please chime in and correct me if I'm wrong or confirm.
              Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Partzilla is a good place.

When I was in your carbs years ago Sebastian, they have different mixture screws for 78 and 79 did they do for my 1980 if I remember correctly.

Just do a little research and look at some different kits (compare to your busted ones) and be sure yours have the bigger diameter head (I believe). The ones for 1980 and beyond have a smaller diameter head. That is how I recall to identify them.

Someone can please chime in and correct me if I'm wrong or confirm.
                Bonz,

The most notable difference I have seen is that my screws have a long tapered needle and do not step down like a lot of the ones I've seen online.
                79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by Sebastian_99 View Post
                  Bonz,

The most notable difference I have seen is that my screws have a long tapered needle and do not step down like a lot of the ones I've seen online.
                  I checked over the photos they had for the screws and they look identical. I went ahead and placed the order. Now to wait the three days for shipping, ugh, I'm excited to have my bike back out on the road. Anyone have one of those Star Trek transporters they can lend me to get my parts in faster?
                  79 SF

Comment

No can do on the transporter for the screws, however you'll be testing out the warp drive soon enough...

Give me and skids a shout when you want some company on a "re-maiden" voyage ride up Hwy 67 to let us buy you a beer at the BuckSnort Saloon in Sphinx Park!
                    Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

No can do on the transporter for the screws, however you'll be testing out the warp drive soon enough...

Give me and skids a shout when you want some company on a "re-maiden" voyage ride up Hwy 67 to let us buy you a beer at the BuckSnort Saloon in Sphinx Park!
                      Bonz/Skids,

Already planning on it! Just need these parts to come in soon and I'm back on the road. I only road the bike like 20 miles with the fairing before so I'm very interested In how much more comfortable the ride is without all the wind. Saddle bags and sissy bar are back on as well, gonna make packing gear on WAY easier!
                      79 SF

Comment

Hey guys,

I found my old turn signals and can fix them back up more or less. However, the parts that are completely shot are the hollow bolts that attach the signals to the bike. Anyone have a set laying around or can someone point me in the direction of where to find them used?

-Sebastian
                        79 SF

Comment

Contact Andreas Weiss, he's a parts broker with a great rep on this site.

T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham
                          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                          History shows again and again,
                          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I drove up to Sebastian's place in Divide this afternoon and together we got is carbs adjusted and synced up nicely. Had to do a few things on the bike to restore spark to the #1 cylinder and fix an exhaust leak on the number two header where it goes into the collector but once we got those things dialed in the bike sounded really good, and the sync sticks agreed with us after a pretty good amount of adjusting the screws so they would react as they should. The center screw was backed way off so once we set one and two and three and four, trying to bring them together was kind of confuzzlng. Once we figured out what was going on we got them dialed in pretty well.

Keep up the good work, Sebastian!

Get the kill switch squared away, can't have it intermittently shutting down the bike!
                            Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Originally posted by Sebastian_99 View Post
                              I checked over the photos they had for the screws and they look identical. I went ahead and placed the order. Now to wait the three days for shipping, ugh, I'm excited to have my bike back out on the road. Anyone have one of those Star Trek transporters they can lend me to get my parts in faster?
                              I don't get it ? ? ?
                              Are the screws Sebastian took out of his carbs wrong ?
                              Maybe someone can get both of these pics to post for easier comparison ?

Above idle mix screws for the 79 according to partzilla ?

Had this in my messages folder could not get it to photobucket ?
                              This is what the idle mix screws that broke off looked like.
                              https://i.imgur.com/pFhMydZ.jpg
                              76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                              80 XS650 G Special II
                              https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
                              80 XS 1100 SG
                              81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
                              https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
                              AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Is it the tip profile you are talking about? The pics do look a bit different.

Can someone with old style carbs get a picture of a fuel screw from their bike?
                                Last edited by Bonz; 06-09-2017, 07:14 AM.
                                Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Working...
                                X