No announcement yet.

Sebastian's Bike Restore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Sebastian, how are things going for you? Did you get the kill switch worked out?

With that said, is your brother still planning on doing the rally? You guys will probably go west on 24 and then north on through Fairplay, into Breckenridge and up to Kremmling. Check with Skids and see when he's leaving, he'd be a good one to have along with you guys especially if something comes up on your bike. Not that it will, but he is a great mind.

In the meantime, I finish working basketball camp at the US Air Force Academy this coming Wednesday. I'll have some time in the next couple weeks I could come up and we could do a final check out on your bike and have Skids join us. If you have stuff you haven't got worked out or are wondering about, I'm happy to come up for a day and work on it for you or with you depending on your work schedule.
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
      Check with Skids and see when he's leaving, he'd be a good one to have along with you guys especially if something comes up on your bike. Not that it will, but he is a great mind.

In the meantime, I finish working basketball camp at the US Air Force Academy this coming Wednesday. I'll have some time in the next couple weeks I could come up and we could do a final check out on your bike and have Skids join us. If you have stuff you haven't got worked out or are wondering about, I'm happy to come up for a day and work on it for you or with you depending on your work schedule.
      I would like to leave at about 10am at the latest. Sure, I would make a trip across the neighborhood to check out the bike. Let me know...

Sebastian, I will PM you my phone.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
        I would like to leave at about 10am at the latest. Sure, I would make a trip across the neighborhood to check out the bike. Let me know...

Sebastian, I will PM you my phone.
        Hey guys, a once over on the bike would be fantastic! I'm available any day of the week after 5PM. Next weekend is free I believe.

As for repairs I did:
        -bypassed the Kill switch for now (money is tight so I'll do the real fix in the future)
        -couldn't afford a new windscreen so I used a soldering iron to cross hatch the broken area and then hit it with epoxy. Cut it down a bit as well so less wind will push on it and cause extra stress. Seems fine so far.
        -wired up the headlight on the fairing. I couldn't figure out the rest of the wiring so I wired what I found up with fast disconnects. I can do the real wiring at a later date. This means I don't have turn signals but I've been riding for about 4 years without them any ways (I just use old school hand signals)
        -replaced some fuel lines because the old ones were pretty shot and they kept kinking and starving the engine for fuel.
        -did a little bit of adjusting on the idle screw and everything seems to be running well.

I took the bike out this afternoon for a test ride and it seems to be running reasonably well. I have to tighten up a little bit on one exhaust pipe still (Bonz knows which one I'm talking about, it's still spitting some smoke). The bike isn't as responsive as it was prior to the carb work. Acceleration is down. I'm thinking it's running rich and I should lean out the air a bit? I could use some advice here.

I'll post some pictures in a few.
        79 SF

Comment

79 SF

Comment

Take out your spark plugs and look at them. If it is rich they will be darker black or sooty. Are you around tomorrow? I could come up in the afternoon with the sync sticks again and we could go take it for a ride. I can help pretty well with the tuning if I can see it run or take it for a short ride.
            Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Take out your spark plugs and look at them. If it is rich they will be darker black or sooty. Are you around tomorrow? I could come up in the afternoon with the sync sticks again and we could go take it for a ride. I can help pretty well with the tuning if I can see it run or take it for a short ride.
              Bonz,

I'm headed to Denver tomorrow and then down to the folks property in La Veta Monday and Tuesday.

-Sebastian
              79 SF

Comment

Wednesday is wide open for me, how about you?
                Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Originally posted by Sebastian_99 View Post

Sorry, those images didnt work. Here you go:

79 SF

Comment

Sorry, those images didnt work. Here you go:

79 SF

Comment

Hey that's looking really nice!

As far as you know is the wiring in place for the turn signals? They just need to be hooked up to the right places? Jerry a.k.a. CaptonZap had a website with a colored wiring diagram that he used and helped me hook up the headlight and front of wiring on an 80G a few years ago. If I can find that we could probably get those things working. Does Wednesday work, or Friday?
                      Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Hey that's looking really nice!

As far as you know is the wiring in place for the turn signals? They just need to be hooked up to the right places? Jerry a.k.a. CaptonZap had a website with a colored wiring diagram that he used and helped me hook up the headlight and front of wiring on an 80G a few years ago. If I can find that we could probably get those things working. Does Wednesday work, or Friday?
                        The bike wiring or fairing wiring? As far as I know both are in place, I'm just terrible with electrical stuff. I think Wednesday after 5 would work for me. Friday after 3 I'm also available.
                        79 SF

Comment

Did I read that you have connectors that need to be hooked up, or need to splice wires?

Friday would probably work best, that gives us the most time.
                          Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Jerry a.k.a. CaptonZap had a website with a colored wiring diagram that he used and helped me hook up the headlight and front of wiring on an 80G a few years ago. If I can find that we could probably get those things working.

With apologies to Tom Lehrer

Plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize, let nothing good evade your eyes.

3Phase was the one who posted that color diagram.
                            I think I lost the link when the computer lost a power supply.
                            But Scott may still have the address. You just have to catch him when he comes down from one of his flights of fancy.

CZ

Comment

I little of both actually. I went ahead and replaced the 9 pin connector (waiting on the male end molex pins to come in the mail on wednesday). From there I have to splice the wires from the pig tail to the wires coming from the bike. It's really not that much work if you know what you're doing, I just don't know what I'm doing haha.
                              79 SF

Comment

Cool, let's plan on Friday. If I'm at your place at 3 PM will that work?

Skids, want to join in?
                                Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Working...
                                X