Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sebastian's Bike Restore

Hey guys!

So Ive decided to bring my bike back to as close to its original stock glory. The bike is a '79 XS100SF (Special). Here is what I am trying to do but am running into issues:
    • Remounting Pacifico Fairing
      When I originally got the bike I decided that I didn't want a fairing and didn't like the buckhorn bars so I removed the fairing, saddle bags, sissy bar and changes the handle bars. I've since then moved to the mountains and any bike trip I take is much longer and I often deal with the elements.

When I pulled the fairing originally the wiring was kind of pieced together. There is a female plug on the fairing that I imagine has a corresponding male end that can just click in, where can I find the male and and does anyone have any diagrams to help me re-wire everything?

Second issue with the fairing is that the previous owner stripped the threads out of the mounting holes really bad, the bolts won't hold. How can I remedy this without permanently welding the mounting bracket onto the frame?
      See photo:

• Fixing the carbs that I screwed up
      So I really did a number on the carbs when I went through and cleaned them. Once I was done cleaning and putting everything back together I came to putting in the air mixture screw/needles. I figured I would bottom them out and then unscrew them evenly to keep everything uniform. When I did this I pushed them in too far and when I went to back them out I broke all four needles off in the carb body. . I feel pretty dumb about this, like really, really dumb. Haha. I tried a few of the tips in the carb repair thread but was unsuccessful. And tips/advice on getting these out?
      See photo:

• Finding rear turn signals
      When I was parked at work a few years ago someone hit my bike and broke off one of the rear turn signals. I took off the other one and somehow lost them in a move. Where can I find stock or aftermarket replicas?
    79 SF

Also, since I broke off those needles I need to find replacements. I'd rather not buy an entire rebuild kit and just get the screw/needles. I believe the carbs are Mikuni BS34-II 3H3-00 but am not sure because I can't find any markings on the carbs.
    79 SF

Comment

For the fairing mount, get a helicoil kit from an auto parts store. IIRC it's an 8mm bolt in the steering stem, so the kit will be for that. PLEASE MEASURE with a known 8mm bolt BEFORE trusting my old memory! if it's not an 8, then it's a 10mm.
      The 9pin harness connector is an amphanol plug that you should be able to find at radio shack, if there is still one around. if not, most online electronics store should have them.
      The pinout/wire diagram has been posted a few times, so it should be available on this site,
      carb screws can be had from mikesxs.com as single items.
      You have about 6 weeks to get it ready for the rally, so ask for some local help if you need to.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
        For the fairing mount, get a helicoil kit from an auto parts store. IIRC it's an 8mm bolt in the steering stem, so the kit will be for that. PLEASE MEASURE with a known 8mm bolt BEFORE trusting my old memory! if it's not an 8, then it's a 10mm.
        The 9pin harness connector is an amphanol plug that you should be able to find at radio shack, if there is still one around. if not, most online electronics store should have them.
        The pinout/wire diagram has been posted a few times, so it should be available on this site,
        carb screws can be had from mikesxs.com as single items.
        You have about 6 weeks to get it ready for the rally, so ask for some local help if you need to.
        Thanks for the tips!

The only question I have though is where do I find the carb screws on MikesXS? I checked the site but could t find the screes that looked like the ones I have. Am I correct in the carb model assumption?

As for the rally, I plan on being there! If I get all the parts these repairs should only take a Saturday. If I don't get it all squared away I might have to take my dirt bike, haha.
        79 SF

Comment

Are the threads fubar or could you chase them with a tap and straighten them out? You probably already thought of that, but JAT.

eBay for the turns signals http://www.ebay.com/itm/K-S-Front-Le...hY~HNi&vxp=mtr

On the fuel screws, those things should come straight in. My thought to remove them is try to push them back out the way they came but that angle has me confused as to how they got that way and if they would push back out. Kit from eBay, The fuel screws shouldn't be that critical in terms of manufacture. Because you can adjust them all the same that allows for some leeway. http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-X-CARBURET...JYNnJw&vxp=mtr

I started teaching last year and more or less have the summer off. I would be happy to help you in anyway shape or form possible.
          Last edited by Bonz; 05-25-2017, 08:31 AM.
          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
            Are the threads fubar or could you chase them with a tap and straighten them out? You probably already thought of that, but JAT
            I have done exactly that to fix those holes. In my case, there was a lot of corrosion due to spray from the tire and wet roads.
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Hey skids, Sebastian lives literally in your neck of the woods now. I believe he's in Florissant.
              Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
                I have done exactly that to fix those holes. In my case, there was a lot of corrosion due to spray from the tire and wet roads.
                The threads are virtually non existent at this point.
                79 SF

Comment

Then you may be able to run the next size tap in there instead of using an insert.
                  Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Those broke idle mix screw tip can be pushed/pressed back into carb, and just fall out. Any oversized tap fpr threads used won't allow replacement mixture screws to thread in.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by Sebastian_99 View Post
                      The threads are virtually non existent at this point.
                      I would helicoil it.
                      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Not tapping the mixture screw holes, tapping the frame mount hole for the fairing! . I agree with skids and DiverRay, their experience trumps the idea of chasing the threads.

Hope the screws push back out, but if they did Sebastian wouldn't be asking "how to" probably. The thing that I don't get is the angle the one in the picture is protruding at. Hopefully they pop back through just fine however he does it.

As a back up for Sebastian, anyone have a set of extra carbs they would part with for a reasonable amount?
                        Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Tapped out the holes in the frame (did't have a die and tap set when I posted this but it was a good reason to go pick one up). That is mostly taken care of now.

These broken air mixture screws are proving to be quite challenging. Maybe I just lack the fine motor skills to do this kind of thing (I play drums so I'm more accustomed to hitting things )

I'm gonna try and find some machine shops in my area and ask them if they can maybe help.
                          79 SF

Comment

What is proving to be challenging? They won't go back out the way they came in, per se? What methods have you tried?

Good deal on tapping the threads, the helicoil would've work too. However I'm happy my suggestion worked. I rank now!
                            Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

I apparently pushed those suckers in there pretty damn hard (once again, I'm severely lacking in the fine motor skills department). I've tried push pins, the tips of needles, dental tools, etc. I saw the drill bit technique on a thread here but am a bit hesitant to try this as I don't want to score anything up in the carb and I don't know the size of the drill bits on the link. I really hope I didn't screw the pooch on this and have to replace the carbs!
                              79 SF

Comment

Working...
                              X