No announcement yet.

Sebastian's Bike Restore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take the flat blade of a screwdriver laid flat or the edge of the blade, something that will give you some meat behind pushing upward, and push up on the tip of the needle with it. Won't matter if you scrape the inside of the carb body a bit at the mouth.
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Bonz,

Did that, it broke the tip off and one kind of mushroomed. I'm now trying to use something small and pointy to push the remainder out. Is it a bad idea to heat the body with a propane torch to possible loosen it up in there?
      79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by Sebastian_99 View Post
        Bonz,

Did that, it broke the tip off and one kind of mushroomed. I'm now trying to use something small and pointy to push the remainder out. Is it a bad idea to heat the body with a propane torch to possible loosen it up in there?

Please take some pics and post them here of the carbs(so we can see the entire carb bank).
        Take some pics of what is left of the mixture screws themselves so we can see them too.
        76 XS650 C ROADSTER
        80 XS650 G Special II
        https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
        80 XS 1100 SG
        81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
        https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
        AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Update, squared away the fairing and have it painted and remounted. Just gotta score the wiring harness. I will upload some pics of the carbs in a bit.

Last edited by Sebastian_99; 05-26-2017, 07:22 PM.
          79 SF

Comment

Carbs:

79 SF

Comment

Tip for Tip removal

Maybe try cutting a wooden semi-circle/ half moon, to fit the throat of the carb, the proper size to use a small 90 degree pick to lever the tips out.

No heat as you'll melt the shaft seals.
              1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
              1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
              1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
              1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
              1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

If you think you made it "mushroom" on its tip, you will probably need to sand it smooth in the bore. The mixture screw holes are forward of the small holes and I would think that you shouldn't alter the bore near those three holes. You probably can't get a push pin or a pick to be centered on the screw tip if there is anything left of it in the bore.
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I'll tell you that if you enlarge that hole (by drilling or whatever), your mixture setting will be very touchy afterwords. Your setting will not be 1.5 turns out from the seated position, it will be more like 1/4 turn. Also, coasting downhill may make it pop in the exhaust a bit.
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Got the needles out of the carbs! Found a dremel drill bit that is 1/32 of an inch. Smaller than the needle, drilled into the back of the needle and pulled it out. Now....just gotta find replacement air mixture screws. And advice on where to find a set of 4 without having to buy an entire rebuild kit? (I couldn't locate them on mikesxs.com)
                    79 SF

Comment

Now that I have the carb issue mostly squared away and am working with Andreas on a few parts I'd like to pick you guys brains on where to find a new windscreen for my fairing (it's a Pacifico) and also how to possibly install some sort of stereo in the fairing. I want the windscreen to ideally be a little less tall than the stock windscreen and if I could find a dark tinted one I'd be ecstatic. The ideal stereo would allow me to connect a phone or iPod into it. Ideas?
                      79 SF

Comment

Just based on the close-up pictures of the carbs, you might consider cleaning them. About 3 cans of carb spray (no kidding and this is not an insult) should do it. You can do that without separating the carbs from the rack, but you will need to take off the bowls and the diaphragms.
                        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

Originally posted by Sebastian_99 View Post
                          Now that I have the carb issue mostly squared away and am working with Andreas on a few parts I'd like to pick you guys brains on where to find a new windscreen for my fairing (it's a Pacifico) and also how to possibly install some sort of stereo in the fairing. I want the windscreen to ideally be a little less tall than the stock windscreen and if I could find a dark tinted one I'd be ecstatic. The ideal stereo would allow me to connect a phone or iPod into it. Ideas?
                          Here's a link to Gustafsson Plastics for the Pacifico Windshield.

https://bikescreen.com/

https://bikescreen.com/https://bikes...a-xs-1100-1978
                          Last edited by Schming; 05-29-2017, 07:23 PM.
                          1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                          1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                          1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                          1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                          1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
                            Just based on the close-up pictures of the carbs, you might consider cleaning them. About 3 cans of carb spray (no kidding and this is not an insult) should do it. You can do that without separating the carbs from the rack, but you will need to take off the bowls and the diaphragms.

Skids,

I'm definitely gonna hit the exteriors 100%. Cleaned out everything inside before I got into my predicament.
                            79 SF

Comment

Sebastian what's your work schedule this week/ this weekend? You still playing in the band and have any gigs? I would love to ride up your way and help you out especially with those carbs. Skids is retired now, maybe he could meet up with us as well.

As far as a stereo, go to Walmart and find one that will fit the opening. Anymore, most all of them I think have the ability to connect up with a phone or iPod. The one feature you want is something that could have a weatherproof front. Just a thought.

If Walmart doesn't have such a beast here's a link I found with a quick search.

http://www.abt.com/mobile/product_re...duct_id=106596
                              Last edited by Bonz; 05-29-2017, 08:09 PM.
                              Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                                Sebastian what's your work schedule this week/ this weekend? You still playing in the band and have any gigs? I would love to ride up your way and help you out especially with those carbs. Skids is retired now, maybe he could meet up with us as well.

http://www.abt.com/mobile/product_re...duct_id=106596
                                I would like to meet up.
                                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

Working...
                                X