Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new problem...got caught in the rain... (Electrical?!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ERM83 View Post
    I'm so beyond defeated and pissed off that I'm about to say *&$% it, and get rid of it. I enjoy working on my bikes, but this is just plain ridiculous. I have ZERO IDEA why it won't start now. Makes NO SENSE.
    That's how a lot of us got these bikes.....
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I'm gonna go make sure that I didn't bump the emergency tip switch in a second. It's been TWO WEEKS NOW THAT I HAVEN'T RIDDEN...UNACCEPTABLE! At least, for me...my brother / friends are encouraging me, because "you seem REALLY off lately. GET IT GOING SO WE HAVE NORMAL ERIC BACK."

Haha, I kid you not...i've heard that multiple times in the past couple of weeks. It's like being in a constant fight with your wife / longtime girlfriend! AAAAAAHHHHH....

And NO DICE, GREG...I just gotta step away for the night, then come back. I'll always get irate, throw my hands in the air and say stuff I don't mean.
      80' XS1100 SG "Dottie"

79' SF carbs
      MAC 4-1
      K&N Pods
      Accel 3.0 coils
      Tarozzi fork brace
      TC fusebox

Picture update soon

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g4...psej6wqu9l.jpg

79' XS1100 SF (parts, will be reborn)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g4...snfgpozqn.jpeg

Comment

Once again, spent ALL DAMN DAY working on it...new plugs, cleaned THE HELL out of the carbs...WILL. NOT. SYART. I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M MISSING, OR WHAT TO DO.
        80' XS1100 SG "Dottie"

79' SF carbs
        MAC 4-1
        K&N Pods
        Accel 3.0 coils
        Tarozzi fork brace
        TC fusebox

Picture update soon

Comment

Air, fuel, compression, spark.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

UPDATE: i've gotta haul ass to work, so i gotta make it quick....

I remembered that the ignition goes through the right handle bar cluster...moved it around when i changed the throttle cable last night, moved it around a few minutes ago, and it fired right up.

second: despite cleaning out the carbs (also the T - fuel connections), still not getting fuel to no. 2. sprayed some starting fluid in there, and it SCREAMED. put me in a better mood. I dunno what i'm missing with the carbs, though...so weird. everything looked completely fine...will report back...
            80' XS1100 SG "Dottie"

79' SF carbs
            MAC 4-1
            K&N Pods
            Accel 3.0 coils
            Tarozzi fork brace
            TC fusebox

Picture update soon

Comment

congratulations !

You have nothing to fear. It is just metal and plastic and you don't have to fix it to make a living. I was a Jaguar Technician for a living. ( A living hell sometimes). My advice to spray the #2 carb has got you on the right path. I cant be with you in person but will guide you to Nirvana. ( running bike) You are not getting the correct fuel to #2 carb. Find out why . #1 is there fuel in the bowl (no) fix it. Yes ( It is not getting to the choke circuit or the idle circuit)
              Do not pass go do not collect 200 dollars til You have the answers to the fuel in #2 question..
              79 1100 SF Carmine Red stock
              85 Honda v65 Magna
              70 Yamaha HS1 90cc twin Californian Orange
              02 Road King (retirement gift)
              First bike-s 2-1967 Yamaha YM2C Big Bear Scramblers

Comment

I cleared out the t- fitting ports to carb 2...I'm going to loosen the bolt on the bottom of the bowl to MAKE SURE that fuel is coming in there. Could it be the octopus???
                80' XS1100 SG "Dottie"

79' SF carbs
                MAC 4-1
                K&N Pods
                Accel 3.0 coils
                Tarozzi fork brace
                TC fusebox

Picture update soon

Comment

The octy wouldn't starve one carburetor, it'd starve the pair it's feeding: 1&2 or 3&4.

Did you unscrew the needle seats when you cleaned the carbs? It'd be pretty extreme but a plugged inlet screen on the needle valve seat would starve one carburetor.

Also, have you checked the brass floats for leaks? Stick them in a pot of hot water and watch for streams of bubbles. Leaky floats fill with fuel and get heavy, then they don't shut off the fuel at the right level and the carb runs rich or overflows.
                  -- Scott
                  _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                  1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                  1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                  1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                  1979 XS1100F: parts
                  2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                    The octy wouldn't starve one carburetor, it'd starve the pair it's feeding: 1&2 or 3&4.
                    The octy actually acts as an H connection and feeds all 4 from both petcocks Scott.
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Hmm, I'll have to re-check that, I've never actually taken one apart. It's got two inlets and two outlets....

A few screws and swipes with a razor blade later: Yep, internally it's an "H" with one o-ring to rule them all.
                      It's no wonder it leaks.

-- Scott
                      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                      1979 XS1100F: parts
                      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

ERM83,
                        As 3Phase said, it's probably the fuel inlet screen on the needle seat. it's a 10mm to take it out, so you CAN do it on the bike with some cussing. To clean, spray carb cleaner from the bowel side of the seat to blast the crud out. Just be careful not to lose the screen! It's not needed to run, but is your last defense against crud getting into the carbs.
                        The handlebar switch MAY have some wires that have broken at the solder joints. It's pretty easy to take the two halves apart and just use a solder iron to re-melt the solder on each wire. That will keep it running for another 30 years.
                        I know it's been hard, but you are almost there!
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG
                        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Ok....so yesterday, I THOUGHT it was the screen. It looked like CRAP, so I cleaned the hell out of it. Put'em back on, fired it up, and still the same thing. I'm going to check the float...
                          80' XS1100 SG "Dottie"

79' SF carbs
                          MAC 4-1
                          K&N Pods
                          Accel 3.0 coils
                          Tarozzi fork brace
                          TC fusebox

Picture update soon

Comment

Also, on PRIME, still quieter on the left side. That was my initial screw-up...NOT loud ENOUGH on the left side! SO CLOSE, GUYS...
                            80' XS1100 SG "Dottie"

79' SF carbs
                            MAC 4-1
                            K&N Pods
                            Accel 3.0 coils
                            Tarozzi fork brace
                            TC fusebox

Picture update soon

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                              ERM83,
                              As 3Phase said, it's probably the fuel inlet screen on the needle seat. it's a 10mm to take it out, so you CAN do it on the bike with some cussing. To clean, spray carb cleaner from the bowel side of the seat to blast the crud out. Just be careful not to lose the screen! It's not needed to run, but is your last defense against crud getting into the carbs.
                              The handlebar switch MAY have some wires that have broken at the solder joints. It's pretty easy to take the two halves apart and just use a solder iron to re-melt the solder on each wire. That will keep it running for another 30 years.
                              I know it's been hard, but you are almost there!
                              You know, I got PSYCHED when I took the seat out yesterday. NOTHING was getting through there. Cleaned it; excitedly put the carbs back on. STILL THE SAME THING. I'm about to test the float, but I'm starting to think the worst...(valves). I'm not sure what else it could be.
                              80' XS1100 SG "Dottie"

79' SF carbs
                              MAC 4-1
                              K&N Pods
                              Accel 3.0 coils
                              Tarozzi fork brace
                              TC fusebox

Picture update soon

Comment

Hmm, I'll have to re-check that, I've never actually taken one apart. It's got two inlets and two outlets....
                                Because the tank has 2 outlets and the carbs have 2 inlets.

A few screws and swipes with a razor blade later: Yep, internally it's an "H" with one o-ring to rule them all.
                                It's no wonder it leaks.
                                That's why mine was deleted long ago and an H connection put in the lines. After the second or third failure on LD rides it became apparent that just shutting off the petcocks (if necessary) was much less trouble than bypassing that PITA on the road.
                                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                                X