Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new problem...got caught in the rain... (Electrical?!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
    Hmm, before you get into the carbs, take the wire off the Neutral switch and use a pin or something to take the spade out of the connector shell, then just let it hang.

You won't have a green Neutral light for the test but it'll eliminate the 12 Volts from the Neutral switch circuit.
    I was just waiting for this recommendation. I think this is the start of the right diagnosis.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Search "won't run when wet" or something to that effect. There is a mod needed because of an electrical clip where bleeding of current occurs from higher amps to lower amps that affects the ignition circuit. Sorry, I don't have the link.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
        Search "won't run when wet" or something to that effect. There is a mod needed because of an electrical clip where bleeding of current occurs from higher amps to lower amps that affects the ignition circuit. Sorry, I don't have the link.
        Wow, I totally missed that and the solution, thanks, skids! (Subscribed):-
        Won't run when wet, Dies when put in gear - Solution

I've found two different 'types' of wiring setups for the pick-up coils and Neutral light.

One type has the White wires from the pick-up coils joined in a common X joint inside the sheath down by the Neutral switch and it splits into the two wires for the connector shell;
        the second type has the two White wires spliced to their own wire for the shell with no common X joint in the sheath.
        -- Scott
        _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
        1979 XS1100F: parts
        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Forgot about that thread, now I keep that p/u coil wire connector behind the fuse panel sealed with electrical tape for waterproofing.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
            The plug for the pickups behind the fuse panel is where the rain/carwash issue ended up being on mine. For some reason that spot collects the moisture.

Filled that plug with dielectric grease to keep the water out and haven't had an issue since.
            Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
            Forgot about that thread, now I keep that p/u coil wire connector behind the fuse panel sealed with electrical tape for waterproofing.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
              LOL! Kind of agree with you there, BA, that was way back upthread.

I've never had the problem myself but I worked out what was happening and why. It's good to see there's a solution with pictures. I've never had any of those ubiquitous crosstalk/RF/CMRR ignition problems either but how about a MSD braided sheath magnetic pick-up coil wire kit to fix a problem that hasn't happened:-

Amazon | MSD 8862 Shielded Magnetic Pickup
              -- Scott
              _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Alright...I'm about to jump into that harness / wire to try these suggestions. I cleaned it up a few days ago, but maybe not enough?? Wish me luck...
                80' XS1100 SG "Dottie"

79' SF carbs
                MAC 4-1
                K&N Pods
                Accel 3.0 coils
                Tarozzi fork brace
                TC fusebox

Picture update soon

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g4...psej6wqu9l.jpg

79' XS1100 SF (parts, will be reborn)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g4...snfgpozqn.jpeg

Comment

Good luck!
                  -- Scott
                  _____

Comment

THIS TIME, I'll try to remember to take some pictures for you guys. I have to say, it's been a week of not riding, and I'm JONESIN'. If I don't play music or ride my motorcycle for extended periods of time, I get REAL ANTSY and moody. GOTTA HAVE BOTH!!
                    80' XS1100 SG "Dottie"

79' SF carbs
                    MAC 4-1
                    K&N Pods
                    Accel 3.0 coils
                    Tarozzi fork brace
                    TC fusebox

Picture update soon

Comment

Just tried the neutral wire...it seems like it helped a bit, but I STILL have crappy low end. after about 2200 RPM, it picks up, but still kinda sounds crappy. The right side sounds noticeably different at idle still...not BAD, it's just a bit louder / more "slappy" sounding. I feel like I'm getting closer...
                      80' XS1100 SG "Dottie"

79' SF carbs
                      MAC 4-1
                      K&N Pods
                      Accel 3.0 coils
                      Tarozzi fork brace
                      TC fusebox

Picture update soon

Comment

I'm officially at a complete loss...

Just went as far as to clean / check float levels / re-sync the carbs. STILL runs like crap. I tried swapping out the TCI yesterday...didn't work, either.

My harness' are all clean.

I have plenty of spark.

No water in the pickup / neutral wire casing. It can't be that wire at all...remember a few posts ago that I said that shift-bog went away.

Did a vacuum test on the carb boots for the hell of it...they're fine.

It's still loud and slappy on the right side...bogs down when I let the clutch out and start to ride.

The pickup harness behind the fuse panel has a burnt corner, and it looks like it was from the P.O. . the wires IN IT look pristine.

No blown fuses.

I've cleaned and checked EVERY connection possible.

I cannot figure this out at all...I'm getting more pissed off by the second. If I didn't have to go to work, I'd still be trying to figure it out.

One last possible theory/question before I end up tearing into the head: Could it be an exhaust/muffler issue??? The headers are on there perfectly fine...

I am about to check into a mental hospital from trying to fix this, for god's sake.
                        80' XS1100 SG "Dottie"

79' SF carbs
                        MAC 4-1
                        K&N Pods
                        Accel 3.0 coils
                        Tarozzi fork brace
                        TC fusebox

Picture update soon

Comment

Could the pickup coils be screwed?? It's NOT running on 2 cyls...I will never forget how that felt on this bike. It's not THAT weak...still just feels held back. I know the pickup problem usually comes in cylinder pairs...but it's not running on 2 right now. I seriously DON'T get it...
                          80' XS1100 SG "Dottie"

79' SF carbs
                          MAC 4-1
                          K&N Pods
                          Accel 3.0 coils
                          Tarozzi fork brace
                          TC fusebox

Picture update soon

Comment

Check the 4 pin connector at the TCI with your multimeter, there should be 2 pairs at 720 ohms. The P/U coils usually don't go bad, just the wires do.
                            2H7 (79)
                            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

If you're convinced it's not electrical then you need to start investigating each cylinder and it's performance. So you've cleaned the carbs, are they synced? Have you done a throttle chop to check the plugs? How about fuel delivery? Perhaps you have a partially clogged tower or filter that allows enough fuel to run but not enough to really produce any power? I understand you're pulling your hair out, but to truly eliminate cause/effect you need to do this investigation one component at a time.
                              79 F

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                                Check the 4 pin connector at the TCI with your multimeter, there should be 2 pairs at 720 ohms. The P/U coils usually don't go bad, just the wires do.
                                So, both check out fine. My carbs are clean/synched (FOR THE THIRD TIME IN 3 MONTHS ), and I checked my primary wires...all is fine there. I checked my spark with an inline spark tester...maybe one of my secondary (plug) wires is bunk??? I have accel 3 olm coils...I have to look into what they're supposed to measure out to. I'm out to eat with the lady, so feel free to chime in everybody! Regardless, I'll try to look it up when she goes to the bathroom, or makes a phone call.
                                80' XS1100 SG "Dottie"

79' SF carbs
                                MAC 4-1
                                K&N Pods
                                Accel 3.0 coils
                                Tarozzi fork brace
                                TC fusebox

Picture update soon

Comment

Working...
                                X