Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new problem...got caught in the rain... (Electrical?!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know, I got PSYCHED when I took the seat out yesterday. NOTHING was getting through there. Cleaned it; excitedly put the carbs back on. STILL THE SAME THING.
    Did you have the fuel line off so you could run some fuel and SEE that it's working? If the screen was plugged, there may still be junk in the "T" fitting on that side.
    A quick test for valves, when you have no tester, is just pull all the plugs, and put your finger over the plug hole in #2. Crank the engine over with the throttle wide open and see if you can keep your finger on the hole.(Don't forget to ground the plug leads!) Try it with #1, and if there is a noticeable difference, you may have valve problems.(may just need adjustment)
    If not much difference, then it should be carb issue.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Guys....guys....GUYS.........!!!!!

I sprayed a little of seafoam topend cleaner inside the boot of #2...noticed it was leaking out of the bottom of the boot?! After boiling the float (which was totally fine!), reassembled everything, sealed the boot, and started her up...SHE ROARS. JUST THAT LITTLE GAP was the problem. Just for good measure, I did the topend spray a bit more, and it runs like a BEAST. It feels RIDICULOUSLY POWERFUL now.

I swear...the Jurassic park theme was playing in my head when I revved'er, and rode to work. I GOTTA update my picture of SG soon. Thanks for all the info, guys...learned a LOT!!!

Eric
      80' XS1100 SG "Dottie"

79' SF carbs
      MAC 4-1
      K&N Pods
      Accel 3.0 coils
      Tarozzi fork brace
      TC fusebox

Picture update soon

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g4...psej6wqu9l.jpg

79' XS1100 SF (parts, will be reborn)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g4...snfgpozqn.jpeg

Comment

Originally posted by ERM83 View Post
        I sprayed a little of seafoam topend cleaner inside the boot of #2...noticed it was leaking out of the bottom of the boot?!
        Leaking at the seal at the head?
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

spark plug.

Is it wet or dry ? Need to know !
          79 1100 SF Carmine Red stock
          85 Honda v65 Magna
          70 Yamaha HS1 90cc twin Californian Orange
          02 Road King (retirement gift)
          First bike-s 2-1967 Yamaha YM2C Big Bear Scramblers

Comment

sorry

I did not see your final post of the bike running. I can sleep now.

Remember, I am not harping on you. Basics basics basics. Spraying a little carb cleaner into #2 gave you the answer you needed. Sometimes the problem can be twofold. cleaning the screen and fixing a vacuum leak was the answer.
            Vance
            85 Honda v65 Magna

Comment

Originally posted by vedgar View Post
              I did not see your final post of the bike running. I can sleep now.

Remember, I am not harping on you. Basics basics basics. Spraying a little carb cleaner into #2 gave you the answer you needed. Sometimes the problem can be twofold. cleaning the screen and fixing a vacuum leak was the answer.
              Vance
              ALLLLLL GOOD for now, and thanks for your help!!!! The plug was dry...going to run a bit tomorrow, pull them, and aptly tune!!

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
              Leaking at the seal at the head?
              Yep...there's the hook that I thought (???) for the vac advance that was supposed to be screwed in on the bottom hex bolt on boot #2, but don't see that necessary as there's already a hook before that, and my hose is relatively new. When I checked the boots (two weeks ago, the first time), I thought that came out with that bolt. As soon as I nullified that and did as I said above, the thing fired to life like no other. The lip seemed to protrude outward a bit, and this is a temporary fix (I'll deal with getting that friggin' thing off when I get new boots soon). Just got home from work, and it's running GREAT. I wish one of you lived here, just to see how it's running, and give me real-time pointers. It's seriously running better and stronger than ever. PLEASE tell me if I'm missing/screwing up something.
              80' XS1100 SG "Dottie"

79' SF carbs
              MAC 4-1
              K&N Pods
              Accel 3.0 coils
              Tarozzi fork brace
              TC fusebox

Picture update soon

Comment

Great thread guys, I'll be refering back to this regularly as I sort out the problems I'm running into on my 81 SH!
                81 Special

Comment

plug check

Good man. The plugs are the first line in diagnostics.
                  85 Honda v65 Magna

Comment

Just wanted to toot my own horn...occasionally I do get one right!

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                    Have you checked the intake boots and their mating to the head? The bolts can loosen, but also the mating surface can dry/crumble and create a vac. leak. I used Yamabond/Threebond when I put my new ones on....or you can add a gasket and sealant. Also the synch port cap...is it hardened and possibly leaking.

Have you checked the #2 carbs throttle shaft seals for vac. leaks?
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

• Way to go, T.C.!
                      -- Scott
                      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                      1979 XS1100F: parts
                      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

• HAHA, there's a handful of people that have been on this site FOREVER, and OBVIOUSLY they're the ones to nail it!

I went for a rip with my brother last night (PERFECT WEATHER!!), and I can't reiterate enough...it's SOOOOO FRIGGIN' FAST NOW. All the frustration / misdiagnosis / carb work was WORTH IT. My brother just got a 2008 nightster 1200, and I LOVE dusting him at stoplights (granted, I'm the better rider out of us both .

One LAST thing...when I reset the idle screws...out a turn and a half to start. When I set all of them (turning them in until the engine reacted), number two went all the way to lightly seated, and no change in engine behavior. Wanted to ask before I REALLY dial everything in meticulously.

And, yes...mschor is right. GREAT thread, because of the knowledge gained on here. DEFINITELY bookmarking this!! Maybe soon I can start on the 79SF project?! That thing is going to be a ripper...will make a thread about that as well!

Eric
                        80' XS1100 SG "Dottie"

79' SF carbs
                        MAC 4-1
                        K&N Pods
                        Accel 3.0 coils
                        Tarozzi fork brace
                        TC fusebox

Picture update soon

Comment

• Originally posted by ERM83 View Post
                          HAHA, there's a handful of people that have been on this site FOREVER, and OBVIOUSLY they're the ones to nail it!

I went for a rip with my brother last night (PERFECT WEATHER!!), and I can't reiterate enough...it's SOOOOO FRIGGIN' FAST NOW. All the frustration / misdiagnosis / carb work was WORTH IT. My brother just got a 2008 nightster 1200, and I LOVE dusting him at stoplights (granted, I'm the better rider out of us both .

One LAST thing...when I reset the idle screws...out a turn and a half to start. When I set all of them (turning them in until the engine reacted), number two went all the way to lightly seated, and no change in engine behavior. Wanted to ask before I REALLY dial everything in meticulously.

And, yes...mschor is right. GREAT thread, because of the knowledge gained on here. DEFINITELY bookmarking this!! Maybe soon I can start on the 79SF project?! That thing is going to be a ripper...will make a thread about that as well!

Eric
                          #2 all in till lightly seated, and no change means teeny o-ring on recessed adjustment screw is bad and not sealing, or just missing. Also, just prior to o-ring should be a teeny thrust washer(thrust washer before o-ring, in that order).
                          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Originally posted by motoman View Post
                            #2 all in till lightly seated, and no change means teeny o-ring on recessed adjustment screw is bad and not sealing, or just missing. Also, just prior to o-ring should be a teeny thrust washer(thrust washer before o-ring, in that order).
                            motoman...one of the problem-solvers I was talking about! Can you post a picture of the said seal / location?? It seems dumb, but I'm more of a visual person...
                            80' XS1100 SG "Dottie"

79' SF carbs
                            MAC 4-1
                            K&N Pods
                            Accel 3.0 coils
                            Tarozzi fork brace
                            TC fusebox

Picture update soon

Comment

• Originally posted by ERM83 View Post
                              motoman...one of the problem-solvers I was talking about! Can you post a picture of the said seal / location?? It seems dumb, but I'm more of a visual person...
                              No pic., but presuming from bike type listed, it still has original carb assembly. If so, unscrew that particular recessed idle mixture screw all the way out to remove. Slid onto bottom side of that idle mix. screw is first the teeny thrust washer followed with the teeny o-ring. If o-ring is hardened or fubared, vacuum will be drawn by it causing the issue your having.
                              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• It's not stock, '79 carbs on his '80 Special == no tiny o-ring.
                                -- Scott
                                _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                                1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                                1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                                1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                                1979 XS1100F: parts
                                2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Working...
                                X