Starting up for the first time after complete rebuild/rewire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PMKXS11 View Post
    Why do you say to not solder the connection?
    Some here have soldered those teeny wires, but soldering unnecessarily creates a resistance location. If you instead choose to solder wire, use rosin core NOT acid core solder on electrical connections!
    Last edited by motoman; 04-14-2016, 05:48 PM.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

OK, I gotcha. I used rosin core, and also checked the resistance across the PU coils and got what the spec was. I was just curious is there was any other reason to not solder them
      '79 Yamaha XS11 SF (project)
      '11 Harley Nightster (street)
      '03 KTM 125sx (dirt)
      '03 Suzuki GSXR-600 (track)
      '73 Jawa Californian (collecting dust)

Comment

Originally posted by PMKXS11 View Post
        OK, I gotcha. I used rosin core, and also checked the resistance across the PU coils and got what the spec was. I was just curious is there was any other reason to not solder them
        Sounds like ya' got it sorted.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Update

Work on the bike was slow going for a while, i had finals and then was out of town, but I am back at it.
          All four cylinders seem to be firing fine, but I still am wondering if the timing seems off to anyone. I don't know the sound of a cam chain "slapping around" but maybe one one of you can tell me if thats what I am hearing.
          If you can hear anything else going on that I should be aware of - please let me know.
          Its a little smoky in there cause the sealant on the exhaust wraps is curing.

See the vid at:
          https://youtu.be/HFlCec12kg8
          79 F

Comment

Originally posted by Benettard View Post
            Work on the bike was slow going for a while, i had finals and then was out of town, but I am back at it.
            All four cylinders seem to be firing fine, but I still am wondering if the timing seems off to anyone. I don't know the sound of a cam chain "slapping around" but maybe one one of you can tell me if thats what I am hearing.
            If you can hear anything else going on that I should be aware of - please let me know.
            Its a little smoky in there cause the sealant on the exhaust wraps is curing.

See the vid at:
            https://youtu.be/HFlCec12kg8
            ....lol, breathin' way to much sealant.
            When cold starting, any bit of a loping idle will pretty much let you know. Timing chain load-no load can pretty much need re-tensioned when you hear the no-load side hittin' engine upper case.

Comment

Carb tuning question

So I bought the motion pro carb sync tool, and am having a little trouble using it. I brought the bike up to operating temp and set up the sync tool with all the destructors in the four tubes, all four tubes attached to the calibration tool with the plug on the last port. And then attached that to the vacuum port on the third cylinder. I also turned all four screws all the way counterclockwise to set the height to the lowest possible.
              When I started the bike it just kept sucking up the fluid like the vacuum was too strong. Any tips on using the sync tool?

http://youtu.be/zonIptRE8a4
              79 F

Comment

Originally posted by Benettard View Post
                So I bought the motion pro carb sync tool, and am having a little trouble using it. I brought the bike up to operating temp and set up the sync tool with all the destructors in the four tubes, all four tubes attached to the calibration tool with the plug on the last port. And then attached that to the vacuum port on the third cylinder. I also turned all four screws all the way counterclockwise to set the height to the lowest possible.
                When I started the bike it just kept sucking up the fluid like the vacuum was too strong. Any tips on using the sync tool?

http://youtu.be/zonIptRE8a4
                Initially, I would imagine hose ends where restrictors are located need to be attached to manometer side.
                Screws turned all the way counterclockwiseeek::? If your talkin' idle mixture screws, they initially need to be 'bench-set' at approx. 1 1/2 turns out from LIGHTLY seated......then start/warm up motor and correctly set mixture screws before syncing carbs.

Comment

Sorry, I meant the screws on the carb sync tool that calibrate one cylinder to the other. I will go out an recheck which side the restrictors go on, thanks.
                  79 F

Comment

Working...
                  X