Starting up for the first time after complete rebuild/rewire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting up for the first time after complete rebuild/rewire

Ok so I am new to the site as of last year when I bought a 79 xs1100. I stripped it all down and cleaned it meticulously, repainted the frame, made a new fiberglass seat, and ran new wiring throughout the entire bike. I ran the starter with a freshly charged new battery and the carb bowls full of fuel and this is what it sounded like.
    https://youtu.be/1aGjzx84oxw
    I checked all four spark plugs and they are all sparking.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start trouble shooting?
    79 F

My gut says it's a timing issue. Check to make sure that the "reluctor?" is properly mounted onto the end of the crank, underneath the timing cover. Many threads about it. I'm willing to bet it's timing related.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Coompression?, Spark Timing?

Benettard,

I watched the video. Be advised, I am NOT one of the better mechanics around here but I don't hear the typical THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP of compression.
      • Did you check your valve adjustments?
      • What's the compression on the cylinders?
      • The wiring of the coils is not too complicated and you said you had spark.... Are you sure you're sparking the right cylinders at the right time (at the top of the compression stroke)?

Personally, I would not run the starter to eternity. If it doesn't "light off" after a few revolutions it's not gonna.

Respectfully,
      Kurt
      Kurt Boehringer
      Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
      1978 - SR500 - Thumper
      1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
      1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
      1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
      1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
      1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
      1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
      1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
      1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
      1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
      1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
      2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

Oh yeah, I hear the compression just fine. Even with spark plug leads swapped, at-least two of your cylinders should start. If you have definitive spark, FOCUS on two things: Timing and fuel delivery (carbs).
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
          at-least two of your cylinders should start.
          Ian,
          Are you thinking that since this is a wasted spark system the "wrong two" will actually be in a compression stroke if the gray & orange are confused?
          Just wondering....
          KURT
          Kurt Boehringer
          Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
          1978 - SR500 - Thumper
          1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
          1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
          1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
          1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
          1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
          1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
          1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
          1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
          1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
          1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
          2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

No, I was actually addressing the proper sequencing of the coil leads: 1&3/2&4. Even if he had the boots on the wrong cylinders, he still should see two light. We won't know anything till tomorrow. Problem is: he added a whole other complication by "re-wiring" the bike, and has not told us what that entails. If it was just an engine rebuild, it would be easier to narrow-down.
            1979 XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by kboehringer View Post
              Ian,
              Are you thinking that since this is a wasted spark system the "wrong two" will actually be in a compression stroke if the gray & orange are confused?
              Just wondering....
              KURT

yeppers......a possibility.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Did you have it running before you tore it apart?
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

No, I was actually addressing the proper sequencing of the coil leads: 1&3/2&4. Even if he had the boots on the wrong cylinders, he still should see two light. We won't know anything till tomorrow. Problem is: he added a whole other complication by "re-wiring" the bike, and has not told us what that entails. If it was just an engine rebuild, it would be easier to narrow-down.
                  Hi Ian,
                  (quote:- 1&3/2&4 ) you sure that what I read is what you meant?
                  one coil fires the outer cylinders (1&4) and t'other fires the inner cylinders (2&3)
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I was wrong, thank you Fred. Maybe a different bike is that way. Either way, I'm curious to hear back from the O.P.
                    1979 XS1100F

Comment

I was wrong, thank you Fred. Maybe a different bike is that way. Either way, I'm curious to hear back from the O.P.
                      Hi Ian,
                      yeah, me too. Benettard, what did you DO eh?
                      Here's Fred's quick & dirty no instruments needed non starting checks.
                      Pull the carbs, dose the inlet ports with ether-based quickstart, push the button. If she fires up in a quick burst it's the carbs
                      If she don't fire, swap plug wires 1& 4 with plug wires 3 & 4 and do it again.
                      If she fires up in a quick burst this time you've fixed the ignition.
                      Put the carbs back on (didja clean 'em first?) and try for a start.
                      No start with a known good ignition and it's gotta be the carbs.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                        Hi Ian,
                        dose the inlet ports with ether-based quickstart, push the button. If she fires up in a quick burst it's the carbs
                        That's a good way to blow a head completely off the engine.
                        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                          That's a good way to blow a head completely off the engine.
                          Hi BA80,
                          not in all the times I've done it.
                          Please cite evidence, you ol' scaremonger, you?
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Coil leads should be 1 and 4 for one coil; and 2 and 3 for the other.
                            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                              Hi BA80,
                              not in all the times I've done it.
                              Please cite evidence, you ol' scaremonger, you?
                              Just a little something from a quick search. Being a auto tech all my life I've seen a lot of bad things with ether. Rings burnt out of diesel engines, valve covers and oil pans blown off, and HEADS blown completely off small engines.

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2250
                              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                              X