Bikes in the Bax Cave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work? That is a four letter word!
    Oh yeah, I'm retired! Have a safe ride!!!!
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	NH_2020_End of Riding Season.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	860266

This S*&^ is usually the sign that I took my last ride of the year here in NH and the bikes go into hibernation for a long Winter nap............ Sights on 2021.

---Bax
      80 SG, --- Slightly modified with EFI.....

Comment

Yeah, I'm about a month out from there, I HOPE!
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Hey Bax,
          I read through this thread. One thing that had not been mentioned but needs to be checked is the rotor alignment. When I say alignment.. maybe not the right word... more like centered. When you look down on the rotors in relationship to the calipers they should both be centered between the brake pads .. left and right. To adjust this you have to loosen the castle nut on the shaft and the bolt on the left fork. Takes some back and forth and you will be able to see the movement as you play with them. Might help a tad with the brake drag and possibly the wobble pulse you are feeling. As Ray said it is still a good idea to check the steering bearings. I just put the bike on the center stand then lean the bike up and place a jack stand under the front brace to get the front wheel and forks off the ground. That way you can push and pull the front as well as rotate it left and right while feeling if you have in slop in the bearings.
          Last edited by cajun31; 11-02-2020, 10:30 PM.
          2 - 80 LGs bought one new
          81 LH
          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
          22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
          Jim

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	F2D06D1B-C5AB-465A-A3AA-1590FD791E6B.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	860370Click image for larger version

Name:	A449B14B-7114-4442-A735-69239EE4C744.jpeg
Views:	103
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	860366
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Cajun, Yeah, the centering took a bit of extra effort and parts to resolve. Not sure of the cause but this bike was off about 0.9mm from a centered rotor on the left fork (non adjustable side). I had to add shims to the stack up on the axle to return the forks to a parallel condition and rotor center. Along with several other small tweaks the brakes now work well with no pulsing or drag.

Bax
              Last edited by Bax; 11-03-2020, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Looks great. Of course you know the next question has to be the source of the shim rings and size. Anything that makes this job easier I am in for.
                2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                81 LH
                02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                Jim

Comment

Hi Cajun, Seems this forum is truncating a few pics from my post if "Latest Activity" is checked. There are 5 pics total on #20, if you go to page 2 and scroll down its all visible. I purchased those shims directly from Misumi. For the specials at least the ID is 17mm OD 28mm and I went with a 0.3mm thickness that I could stack for my adjustment. They come in a 30 pack so a lower thickness is definitely adequate but I suspect would be "fun" during the assembly sliding the axle through. I went with stainless option for the material.

https://us.misumi-ec.com/vona2/detai...wysiwyg_area_0

---Bax

Comment

Working...
                  X