Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tire Recommends for OEM Wheels -- '79 XS Special?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Recommends for OEM Wheels -- '79 XS Special?

==========
    These guys might not have the best prices in town, but I was surprised to see such an extensive selection -- pre-sized even -- for the '79 XS Special:
    http://www.oldbikebarn.com/search-by...-s-special?p=1
    ==========
    I'm not ready to rob a bank just yet -- though some of those tires look pretty amazing(!) -- what is some good tread for a poor white boy these days? And where do you get them?
    ==========
    Back in the day, they let me sort through a big pile of "take-offs" at a Harley upgrade/custom shop in Nampa, Idaho. Big ol' pile of gently used rubbers (for the rear at least -- those HD grinders couldn't spin a tire if they wanted to, eh?) and I could have my pick of the pile for ten bucks . . . is that even 'real world' anymore?
    JIM P.
    ==========
    79 SF

Says the guy who is paying somebody to work on his bike . . . Lol, jk. Anywho, using a site that is charging $189 for manifold boots, when I just paid $60 for them on ebay is probs a good indicator that they inflate prices quite a bit. No way are they paying anything close to that.

Check-out Motorcycle-superstore or Rocky's Mountain ATV for better deals on tires. For the cheap: get some Shinko 712's. I buy Metzeler's, and I like them.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
      Check-out Motorcycle-superstore or Rocky's Mountain ATV for better deals on tires. For the cheap: get some Shinko 712's. I buy Metzeler's, and I like them.
      +1. Either of those places will be tough to beat on price.

On my Special, I have run:

Chen Shin = bad
      Conti Tour = good
      Dunlop GT501 = excellent
      Bridgestone S11 = very good
      Metzeler ME880 = good
      Pirelli 66 Route = very good

The Shinko could be a good choice for you and at the other end of the spectrum, a Dunlop E3, neither of which I have run.

If I had to rate these tires again tomorrow, my opinion might vary slightly. I'm running 66 Route now as price/performance, it's a good value. GT501 is probably my favorite, but it's expensive and wears fast.

Gettin' it on the Metzeler

On the Pirelli
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

+ plenty here on either Superstore or RMATV. Doubt you'll beat the price and speedy service elswhere.
        ( Conti-Go's make xs11's REALLY 'happy)', as do several other popular choices........
        Last edited by motoman; 04-29-2015, 07:05 PM.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Tires Need to Be Same Brand?

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
          Says the guy who is paying somebody to work on his bike . . . Lol, jk.

==========
          That's why I'm poor! Actually, it has been sweet to spread the expense out over a few months. GLW barely noticed!
          When the bike was running last ('02), my great mechanic in those days (dealer shop -- prolly retired by now) mentioned the front tire seemed worn out of round and should be replaced. That was 12 years ago. Pretty sure that one is still due. For some unknown reason, back tires on *my* XS are like popcorn at the movies; just something to blast through as fast as humanly possible. Now that I'm older and -- hopefully -- a wee bit wiser, they should last a little longer. Is it a good idea (?important?) for both front and back to match? As in same brand?
          ===========
          I remember him double checking -- just to make sure (in '02) -- that I wanted to invest $1,200 in getting my ol' girl running again . . . something about that being a LOT of money to put into such an "old" bike. I checked out the used bikes they had for sale and the cheapest POS they had on the lot was $1,895 -- and I knew the XS would do circles around IT! No contest! So I said, "Yeah -- she's worth it." Pretty sure I'm only IN about half that this time around . . . but I still need to go through the brakes, new tires, etc. But GLW actually *likes* motorcycles *and* likes riding them so I'm very optimistic about the three of us having a GOOD working arrangement. I dunno' if the XS and I can compare to her X of 38 years (!) on a HD but we're gonna' give it a go!
          JIM P.
          ===========
          79 SF

Comment

Oh goodie another tire thread!

Jim, just a few years ago, Dunlop made the Elite II for our bikes, and folks were getting 10K miles out of a rear. But then "THEY" changed the formulas and made them stickier for better traction but at the expense of durability, and so folks reported only being able to get ~6K miles...and the same kind of mileage out of the cheap SHinko ones, and they are like 1/2 to 1/3 the price of the Dunlops. And most of the other brands have done the same thing with their tire rubber formulas to build in planned obsolecence to have better traction but wear out a lot sooner so they sell more tires more often!

So...that's one of the main reasons why several of us suggest the cheaper tires because you aren't going to get much more in mileage out of a much more expensive tire nowadays.

T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

If I'm buying two new tires, they're going to be a matched set. Hmmm.... If I buy a new back tire, I match it to the same make and model as the front. They aren't all made the same. As an example, the ME880 has a very stiff sidewall built for heavy loads and doesn't flex much. The higher load ratings should theoretically tell you that. Also, sizes vary within the same advertised size and the smaller front ones turn in faster. I'm riding the Pirelli 66 Route for the following reasons:
              1) My local dealer has them.
              2) High load rating. I like the ride.
              3) They are moderately priced.
              4) Pirelli quality. They're always round and balance without a pile of weights.
              5) They just work well with my bike. Turns fast and OK in the wet.

Tires are not all the same. As TC usually says; "YMMV". You may not like what I like.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

I like the tread on those a lot better than my Metzeler's.
                1979 XS1100F
                2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

The Metzeler is good, but the tires are over $100 more for the pair and I don't really believe the value is there. The Metzelers run big in our size, so the front one fills up the fender, but doesn't turn in as fast. The MT 66 Route has the same load rating. My last Metzeler front was made in Brazil, just like the Pirelli.
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                    Oh goodie another tire thread!

So...that's one of the main reasons why several of us suggest the cheaper tires because you aren't going to get much more in mileage out of a much more expensive tire nowadays.

T.C.
                    ==========
                    The Motorcycle Superstore is certainly more user friendly for a newbie. And FREE shipping if you buy a pair! The Shinko 712s are $67 & $49. The Shinko 230s are $70 and $57 = $11 more but a higher speed rating. Any opinions if the 230s might be a better choice than the 712s?
                    JIM P.
                    ==========
                    79 SF

Comment

How tempted are you to go over 130 mph? I think you will get the same mileage out of either pair. It is a matter of the tread pattern. The 712 front has a strait grove that tends to follow the groves that are in the road. (at least it feels that way)
                      Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
                      80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
                      82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
                      82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
                      82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
                      72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
                      72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

Hey, Jim -

Asking for tire recommendations is like asking which oil to use ... everyone has an opinion and you'll get a lot of different answers.

IMO, tire choice depends on many factors. For example, what types of roads do you travel, and what is your riding style?

Do you travel on roads with expansion joints/rain grooves, or are the roads you frequent very smooth?

Are you in the twisties a lot, or are you mostly a straight-liner?

Do you travel mostly solo, or do you ride two-up a lot?

How much weight do you generally carry on the bike?

Do you spend a lot of time at high speeds, or is most of your time spent commuting at low speeds?

Etc. etc. etc.

Just make sure the tires you buy are bias-ply, and not radials. And most definitely, match rears/fronts using the same make/model.

Do a little research, and I'm sure you'll find the right tire for you and your bike.

FWIW, I like Metzeler tires ... I've used them on many bikes over the years, and always had a good experience.
                        Last edited by Prisoner6; 04-30-2015, 04:50 PM.
                        Marco

Current bikes:
                        1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
                        1979 Honda CBX
                        2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
                        WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post

The Shinko could be a good choice for you and at the other end of the spectrum, a Dunlop E3, neither of which I have run.

If I had to rate these tires again tomorrow, my opinion might vary slightly. I'm running 66 Route now as price/performance, it's a good value. GT501 is probably my favorite, but it's expensive and wears fast.
                          The E3 is the only thing I will probably run from now on. Excellent performance and excellent wear longevity. I get anywhere from 8 - 10K out of one normally. You should give it a try Marty, I think you'll like it.

I had a Pirelli 66 Route on my bike, actually the year I went ditch exploring at XSSE , and I was not impressed with the performance or the longevity. It just didn't feel right by the seat of the pants, kinda like the Shinko 712. Mushy.
                          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Funny you mention that Greg. The Metzeler ME88/880's I had felt solid as a rock. These Lasertecs feel very light and squishy. It feels like I'm floating, which surprisingly is hard to get used to.
                            1979 XS1100F

Comment

Never tried the Metzler, about the same price as the E3 though. I think Russ used to run those but wore one out in a weekend in Arkansas. Had to have his wife come trailer him home. Don't think he'll be buying any more soon.

Yeah, that mushy feeling is unsettling isn't it?
                              Last edited by BA80; 04-30-2015, 06:04 PM.
                              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                              X