Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tire Recommends for OEM Wheels -- '79 XS Special?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greg,

I think I am ready to take your tire advice. That's a new one, eh?

I was just working on my car and looked at the back tire on my XS11. I'm not believing what I see. My tire is worn out! I put it on weeks ago. It has less than 1800 miles on it! I guess I have to take back my Pirelli MT 66 Route option. The tire lasts almost as long as the oil.

I thought I didn't get miles out of the Metzeler ME880, but I feel sure I went over 2000 miles. It does have a good solid feel. Since I liked the GT501, perhaps I'll like the E3.
    Last edited by jetmechmarty; 04-30-2015, 06:08 PM.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

I'm still running the E3 I put on just before XSSE last fall. It has about 3 -4K on it. I'm fixin' to make another 3 - 4K run here in a couple weeks. The tire still looks almost new so it'll be making the trip.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
        I'm still running the E3 I put on just before XSSE last fall. It has about 3 -4K on it. I'm fixin' to make another 3 - 4K run here in a couple weeks. The tire still looks almost new so it'll be making the trip.
        I think I'm harder on tires than you if only for the weight difference, but that's a pretty strong recommendation. I haven't even been two-up on the current tires. Two trips to NC and the back tire is almost done.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
          If I'm buying two new tires, they're going to be a matched set.
          I've had matched sets and I've had mixed sets. I've had better luck mixing than matching. Supposedly, like tires are designed to work together, but for which endless number year/model bike under which endless number of conditions with which riding style?

Personally, I think the matching tires thing is right along the lines of "Don't jump start a bike from a running car" thing. An old fable that just won't die, repeated by tire salesmen trying to get double your money. Just my less-than-two-cents.. lol.

The Shinko 712s work great on my bike and give me the most bang for the buck, along with working well in the rain, but that's not a concern for many. Tcoop, do you run a 100 front or a 110? I use a 110 and don't know if that little bit would matter, but I've never found mine tracking the grooves or cracks. A Bridgestone Battleaxe will follow those suckers right into a ditch though..
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
            I think I'm harder on tires than you if only for the weight difference.
            When I'm loaded for a trip I usually have a couple hundred extra lbs on there. Everyone says I pack too much stuff but when someone needs something guess who they come to.

I have lightened up on the wrist twisting some though.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I'm with Tod on the 110 front. It makes a lot of difference in the handle on the front wheel in my opinion.

Also gives me more side clearance in tight turns. Maybe I'm just a wussy but I haven't scraped a peg since I went to the 110.
              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

I'm no longer impressed with Shinko 712s... while they do feel great and work well in the wet...when new...the problem is after 4000 miles they're toast...last year i went through 2 and this year I'm just about ready to ditch this Shinko for a Dunlop 404...dunno if it will be better but after it wears out i will go to the E3s...
                For many years throughout the 80's and 90's I ran Metzlers on my Maxim and always had excellent wear and mileage...I never changed brands or needed anything better...
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

LMAO.. Ben, if you don't like the mileage on the Shinkos, you're going the opposite direction with the 404s. You'll be lucky to get 2k miles out of one. Ivan mounted a new one a few years back, rode out to Arknasas, and with less than 1,000 miles on it, the threads were worn through so bad the tire started to leak air. Only tire he could find in town was a whitewall Harley Davidson tire. Don't think he caught any flack over the years for that do you? lol

And Metzler went the same way Dunlop Elite 3s did. The tires don't even get half the life they used to. I used to get 16k out of an Elite 3 riding SUPER aggressively. Bob Embrey sold his XJ with over 20k on his back tire and it still looked good. Now you'll be lucky to get 8k out of them. I can buy 3 Shinkos for the same money as one E3, and get further down the road.
                  Last edited by trbig; 04-30-2015, 06:51 PM.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100

Comment

Dunlop doesn't make an E3 in the 130/90/17 Ben. That's what sucks about having the 17" wheel. Slim choices.

Michelin makes one in that size in the Pilot series. Michelin might be OK.
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                      Dunlop doesn't make an E3 in the 130/90/17 Ben. That's what sucks about having the 17" wheel. Slim choices.

Michelin makes one in that size in the Pilot series. Michelin might be OK.
                      oh...damn...
                      1980 XS650G Special-Two
                      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Gotta agree with Tod on the D404. I had one on the rear of my green SF. Made one trip to Wisconsin and back. It was done.
                        Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                          LMAO.. Ben, if you don't like the mileage on the Shinkos, you're going the opposite direction with the 404s. You'll be lucky to get 2k miles out of one. Ivan mounted a new one a few years back, rode out to Arknasas, and with less than 1,000 miles on it, the threads were worn through so bad the tire started to leak air. Only tire he could find in town was a whitewall Harley Davidson tire. Don't think he caught any flack over the years for that do you? lol

And Metzler went the same way Dunlop Elite 3s did. The tires don't even get half the life they used to. I used to get 16k out of an Elite 3 riding SUPER aggressively. Bob Embrey sold his XJ with over 20k on his back tire and it still looked good. Now you'll be lucky to get 8k out of them. I can buy 3 Shinkos for the same money as one E3, and get further down the road.

well ya know I bought it through Amazon...i can send it back and get something else...its not wrapped anymore but its not mounted yet...I dislike having 2 or 3 tire changes every season...to me its tedious work that I always have to have someone else do...guess I'll have to look at Michelins
                          Last edited by madmax-im; 04-30-2015, 06:58 PM.
                          1980 XS650G Special-Two
                          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I go through 6-8 a year on this bike alone that I do myself, so go cry to someone else, will ya? lol..

By the time I do all my and the kids' street bikes and dirt bikes, I have a whole Ford Explorer load with the back seats down.. all on that little Chinese Harbor Freight changer.

I called Motorcycle Superstore yesterday to get a price match on some saddle bags and the guy said, "Have you ever ordered from us before?" I just laughed...
                            Last edited by trbig; 04-30-2015, 07:00 PM.

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100

Comment

I'm with you Ben, once a year is enough. I don't want to change tires every time I change oil.
                              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Well Tod I dont have the space.. tools or the strength in my hands to be wrestling with tires and tire irons...as it is I am due for some surgey on my wrists...I'm glad its easy for you...
                                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                                X