Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tire Recommends for OEM Wheels -- '79 XS Special?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw it after the fact. You answered better than I could.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Elite 3 bias for XS1100 Special is $435 for a pair. I found them at Ron Ayers. Rocky Mountain ATV and Motorcycle Superstore don't show they have them in MM90-19 and MT90B16

I would sure hate to spend that much and find out I'm replacing tires again at 4000 miles.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
        ...The Shinko 712s work great on my bike and give me the most bang for the buck, along with working well in the rain, but that's not a concern for many. Tcoop, do you run a 100 front or a 110? I use a 110 and don't know if that little bit would matter, but I've never found mine tracking the grooves or cracks. A Bridgestone Battleaxe will follow those suckers right into a ditch though..
        I've always buy the 100. Does the 110 work better? Does it change the ratio on the speedometer? (probably not enough to make a difference)
        Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
        80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
        82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
        82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
        82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
        72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
        72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

Originally posted by Prisoner6 View Post
          See what I mean, Jim?

Three full pages already ... and these threads can end up going in any direction!
          ==========
          I hear *that* Lots of good intel here, though, for someone like me who hasn't ridden much in 12 years -- many more options *now* than I seemed to have then? So many variables . . . seems like at least one tire maker would aim for the long mileage market? Any tire which brags about wet/dry stick simply MUST be a softer compound -- the inevitable trade-off for those who need that level of performance. Fortunately, I'm still here and (at 61) my days of 100 MPH+ are behind me -- where they belong! Now that I'm close to getting paid to stay home (aka 'retirement), I wanna' live to ride forever! I also lost a brother (age 22) *and* his wife to a motorcycle accident so the memory of them keeps my wild man humbled a bit.
          JIM P.
          ==========
          79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by tcoop View Post
            I've always buy the 100. Does the 110 work better? Does it change the ratio on the speedometer? (probably not enough to make a difference)

You're going to find differing opinions on that. I believe the opposite of Greg and Ray. I put a 100 in there and if it runs small, so much the better. The smaller tire will turn in faster. IMHO, any extra grip with the 110 is only imagined. Greg, Phil, and Ray don't agree with me, that's given.

If you go that way, be careful what you buy. Some tires run big already. The Metzeler ME880, as an example, is 105 mm wide in the 100 size. If their 110 is bigger, it's going to rub the fender. The Bridgestone S11 is true to size, so that one could pose a problem as well. I'd recommend going with someone else's experience if you go with 110.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by tcoop View Post
              How tempted are you to go over 130 mph? I think you will get the same mileage out of either pair. It is a matter of the tread pattern. The 712 front has a strait grove that tends to follow the groves that are in the road. (at least it feels that way)
              ==========
              Yeah -- not too fond of that straight line down the middle either. The 230s look a little nicer too If I had money to burn, I'd have to give Pirelli's Night Dragon a try but, alas, doesn't come in the 100/90-19 for the front of my '79 Special.
              ==========
              My 100 MPH+ days are behind me now ) I just thought the higher rating might indicate a better tire. I've noticed some profiles are flatter and some rounder -- for easier flopping back & forth on those mountain curves.
              JIM P.
              ==========
              79 SF

Comment

Hey, Jim -

Asking for tire recommendations is like asking which oil to use ... everyone has an opinion and you'll get a lot of different answers.
                ==========
                I guess I know that NOW
                ==========
                IMO, tire choice depends on many factors. For example, what types of roads do you travel, and what is your riding style?

Do you travel on roads with expansion joints/rain grooves, or are the roads you frequent very smooth?

Are you in the twisties a lot, or are you mostly a straight-liner?
                ==========
                All good points. Summer months, we'll be going mostly curving mountain roads. Winter months, we'll be in the deserts -- southern AZ and CA -- no doubt some shallow (hopefully!) sand and dirt roads (getting back and forth from our fifth wheel to the pavement) -- see many dual-sport tires on XS? Per riding style, not so aggressive anymore . . . happy to keep up with traffic -- leave lots of room between me and them OR go blasting around them Not so many joints/grooves but a wide variety of surfaces. I definitely prefer the twisties -- too hard to stay awake on the Interstate
                ==========
                Do you travel mostly solo, or do you ride two-up a lot?

How much weight do you generally carry on the bike?

Do you spend a lot of time at high speeds, or is most of your time spent commuting at low speeds?
                ==========
                We'll be mostly riding two-up -- maybe 340# between the two of us. I don't see us doing too many long trips just yet so well under another 100# for luggage/parts/tools. Mostly highway speeds -- no commuting after this summer
                ==========
                Just make sure the tires you buy are bias-ply, and not radials. And most definitely, match rears/fronts using the same make/model.

Do a little research, and I'm sure you'll find the right tire for you and your bike.
                ==========
                I know that's conventional wisdom with (gulp) cars, so I was surprised to see this video from Motorcycle Superstore which says you *can* mix radial with bias *BUT* the radial can only be on the rear -- leads one to believe there a few bikes which come NEW that way:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIaZ6rI4rrY
                Let the controversy begin!
                JIM P.
                ==========
                79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                  I just bought the Shinko's for the '79 Standard, and I'll need to see how they do. I DID get the touring tire, as it has a larger weight load. No, I don't remember the exact model number, but they were from motorcyclesuperstore.com, and were about $145 for the pair delivered!
                  ==========
                  MNS? Can I go one size larger front & back on a '79 Special? A pair of the stock size Shinko 230s for it are $127. If I pull the wheels, what does a typical shop charge for a no balance mount up? (Thought I'd give that Ride On stuff a try.)
                  JIM P.
                  ==========
                  79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                    Jim,

You asked for it. Now, what are you going to do?
                    ===========
                    Create a spread sheet? Spend the rest of my life manipulating the variables? Actually, I'm leaning towards the Shinko 230s for starters (but I haven't finished looking while I'm waiting for the eagle to crow). Next payday (one week out) I have to settle up with Tyler before he moves out of state, but two weeks after that? I'll be rich again! And ready to buy some tires
                    JIM P.
                    ===========
                    79 SF

Comment

MNS? Can I go one size larger front & back on a '79 Special? A pair of the stock size Shinko 230s for it are $127. If I pull the wheels, what does a typical shop charge for a no balance mount up? (Thought I'd give that Ride On stuff a try.)
                      JIM P.
                      I bought the tires about six years ago, so I do NOT know what changes have been made. I like the 110 on the front, but would go back to the 130 rear because of the clearance/air pressure issue. Main thing is LOOK AT THE RATING for weight. If you can, get the touring tires as they ARE designed to carry a little more weight for the size. mount/balance here is $25 per tire.
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG
                      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                        Ha ha ha ha.....Tod, you showed up to an Arkansas ride with YOUR bike on a trailer once I can remember. Hell, it wasn't even Arkansas, it was SE OK.

Yeah, but trying to remember what the deal was with that. Something was up with the bike and I didn't trust it. I wanted to have a way to get it home if it crapped out. Probably not long after one of my crashes.. lol.

But yeah, I've taken the bike to the Oklahoma rally in Talihina we used to have in the back of a truck just so we had something that would haul a bike if someone broke down. One of those times, Brent rode in on threads with an Avon Venom, so it came in handy for him! lol.
                        Last edited by trbig; 05-01-2015, 03:54 PM.
                        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100
                        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

XS1100SG with 130/90-16 Pirelli MT 66 Route at less than 1800 miles. Tire pressure maintained at 35 PSI, no two-up riding. Two trips to NC, lots of curves and no burnouts? Why is it worn out?
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

.......may counter what one would normally think, but more flex/squirm at contact surface from underinflation at 35psi adds to friction=wear. JMO, when seeing the 35psi stated. By the same token, I had a Metz ME55 (discontinued, but WAS the match for the front ME33) go litterally bald on the Venturer in just under 3K! Wear could almost be noticed every 500miles!
                            Last edited by motoman; 05-01-2015, 06:38 PM.
                            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

The wear on that tire looks to me more like a misaligned front/rear issue.
                              2-79 XS1100 SF
                              2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                              80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                              Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                                Elite 3 bias for XS1100 Special is $435 for a pair. I found them at Ron Ayers. Rocky Mountain ATV and Motorcycle Superstore don't show they have them in MM90-19 and MT90B16

I would sure hate to spend that much and find out I'm replacing tires again at 4000 miles.
                                Don't buy a pair Marty, the front E3 isn't that good. The rear MT90/19 is $139 at Motorcycle superstore.
                                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                                X