Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tire Recommends for OEM Wheels -- '79 XS Special?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lol. Just bustin' your chops a bit Ben.

It's not always easy, but with all the tires we go through, it's a necessary evil. The cost for someone else to mount that many would cut into my motorcycle madness a bit. I hope your surgery goes well for you. I'd hate to see you show up to an XS rally in a convertible. You think I give the trailer queens heck? Just try THAT once! lol.
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Ha ha ....Its ok Tod I'm used to it...at the moment steroids are keeping things under control but surgery is coming in May...hate to say it but a certain rally i wanted to be at...well timing aint good anymore...
      However since I have your attention what do you think of this tire?

http://www.amazon.com/Michelin-Pilot...in+130%2F90-17
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Ha ha ha ha.....Tod, you showed up to an Arkansas ride with YOUR bike on a trailer once I can remember. Hell, it wasn't even Arkansas, it was SE OK.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
          Ha ha ha ha.....Tod, you showed up to an Arkansas ride with YOUR bike on a trailer once I can remember. Hell, it wasn't even Arkansas, it was SE OK.
          LMAOoooooo
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by sail4free View Post
            I'm not ready to rob a bank just yet -- though some of those tires look pretty amazing(!) -- what is some good tread for a poor white boy these days? And where do you get them?
            Jim,

You asked for it. Now, what are you going to do?
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Sooooooo...........what kind of oil do YOU use?
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                Gotta agree with Tod on the D404. I had one on the rear of my green SF. Made one trip to Wisconsin and back. It was done.
                +3 on the Dunflop 404.........just a 'get buy' tire. Had them on both ends of bike. Pushed XSessively with corner loads, handling became an issue.

Ben, may give the Conti-Go's a try. Continental tires and XS11's always played well together in decades past using the dis-continued RB2(front)/K112(rear). The Conti-Go tread design plus Continental tires are a taller and wider center section than alot of manufacturers. The front 100/90 fills fender and rear 130/90 gives paper thin shaft housing clearance. Have only done some 1300 miles on them last yr., ALL highway miles, no local riding. Superb ride and handling, even thru a couple rain soakers on twisty roads.
                With that, both still show the center mold mark around them. So far, having used several different manufacturer's tires(even Shinko/Kenda when young/broke) over the decades, the Go's are impressive, so far. Hopefully their longgivity is decent.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Conti-Go reviewers at Motorcycle Superstore complained that they were worn out at 4,000 miles.

PRETTY GOOD TIRE, BUT NO TREAD LIFE!

I commute 22 miles round-trip, 5 days a week on my XJ750, and after less than a year with these tires, it's already time to replace them. I'm not really a sport rider, so I was hoping to get more than 4-5k out of these tires. Great tires while they lasted.
                  CONTI GO! - AWFUL TIRE

I bought this tire for my F650GS because it was half the price of a Metzeler Tourance. Upon fitment, I immediately noticed less grip than the Tourance, especially in the wet/cold. Less than 4,000 miles later, the tire has reached the wear limit indicators. I'm not a hard rider, the bike is not heavy but to wear out in 4K miles is poor. A Tourance approx 10K miles. The worst tire I've used just about ever. Never again.
                  CONTI GO! REAR TIRE

I mounted a set of Conti GO!'s on an airhead BMW. I was disappointed with the tread wear, getting only an estimated 4k miles on the rear (I actually replaced it after 3k miles due to an upcoming trip). With that exception, I have no performance-related complaints. It's a good performing tire.
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

Ben,

READ the stats on the tires....their load weight ratings....you'll see that the 404 isn't rated anywhere near as heavy as the 501 or the E-3's, and that's part of why they wear out so fast on our HEAVY BIKES. I've got the E-3 on my rear, it's been there a couple of years now, but I don't do much riding, may 1-2K a year( Shut up Tod ), so it'll last me several years if I get 6-8k miles out of it...right up to the ~5-6 year age limit that we should observe so that we aren't riding on old hard rubber!

T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Time for my $0.02.... as I'm also on the correct coast.
                      The E3's on the Special will go for a long time! I need to replace the ones I put on my MNS because of age, not wear. Granted, it's only got about 6K on them, but they are only about 1/2 down. I DID go up 1 size front AND rear. The problem I have with that is I can only put about 38PSI in the rear, or it rubs the shaft side of the swing-arm.
                      I just bought the Shinko's for the '79 Standard, and I'll need to see how they do. I DID get the touring tire, as it has a larger weight load. No, I don't remember the exact model number, but they were from motorcyclesuperstore.com, and wer about $145 for the pair delivered!
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG
                      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

well crap I paid 100 bucks for the dunflop...I am going to return it and try to find something else...The reason I went to the 404 was because of things I had herad from other locals that were more favorable in their assesment than the folks on here... Why cant I just change rim sizes so I could fit and E3?...I know it aint that simple...
                        Dunlop doesnt make a size for the 501...the closest I see is 130/70-17 tell me this will fit pls......
                        Last edited by madmax-im; 05-01-2015, 04:46 AM.
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                          Ben,

READ the stats on the tires....their load weight ratings....you'll see that the 404 isn't rated anywhere near as heavy as the 501 or the E-3's, and that's part of why they wear out so fast on our HEAVY BIKES. I've got the E-3 on my rear, it's been there a couple of years now, but I don't do much riding, may 1-2K a year( Shut up Tod ), so it'll last me several years if I get 6-8k miles out of it...right up to the ~5-6 year age limit that we should observe so that we aren't riding on old hard rubber!

T.C.
                          TC my tire choices are limited due to the 17" rear wheel....kinda sucks
                          1980 XS650G Special-Two
                          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by Prisoner6 View Post
                            Hey, Jim -

Asking for tire recommendations is like asking which oil to use ... everyone has an opinion and you'll get a lot of different answers.
                            See what I mean, Jim?

Three full pages already ... and these threads can end up going in any direction!
                            Marco

Current bikes:
                            1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
                            1979 Honda CBX
                            2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
                            WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                              ...the closest I see is 130/70-17 tell me this will fit pls......
                              That will be significantly lower profile. I don't think I'd try it as your rim is very narrow.
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

Marty,

Don't know if you saw it, but Ben started his own tire question thread ...

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43837
                                Marco

Current bikes:
                                1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
                                1979 Honda CBX
                                2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
                                WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Working...
                                X