Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tire Recommends for OEM Wheels -- '79 XS Special?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, their website says they're expers at tire service, and was their specialty prior to being a dealer. So, not sure how the service tech missed that.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
      Well, their website says they're expers at tire service, and was their specialty prior to being a dealer. So, not sure how the service tech missed that.
      The service manager was brand new when I went in there. It was February and dead slow. The tech is fairly new as well. They had controversy over the departure of a technician known as Guzzi Steve. He has moved to a new Guzzi dealer in Marietta. I think the Guzzi faithful are more likely to follow him than stick with the shop. At least, that's the feeling I got when I followed the issue on the Moto Guzzi forum. Dahlonega has 5000 residents and is at least 90 minutes from Atlanta. They don't need bad press. They need folks to go out of their way to buy an Italian bike or Suzuki. The place is surely packed today, but it's people on motorcycles who might buy a hot dog or a cup of coffee.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

It looks like a really cool shop! I'll tell yah, the South certainly keeps it's charm when it comes to businesses and their appearance. Everything up-here is a modern building, all cookie-cutter.
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Are you saying you took your bike to A BIKE SHOP and they put the wrong tire on the rear?

How long has it been on there? It seems you would notice sometime when adjusting air pressure.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
            Are you saying you took your bike to A BIKE SHOP and they put the wrong tire on the rear?

How long has it been on there? It seems you would notice sometime when adjusting air pressure.
            Yes. Sort of. I took the wheels. A pair of wheels. I think it was obvious that one was rear and the other front. I put it on in February while the bike was getting a letter check (I serviced everything). It snowed all March, so I pretty much wore the tire out in April. I went to the XS650 rally with it at the Iron Horse a couple weeks ago. I couldn't hang with almost 70 year old Al on his FT500 doing Wayah Road. I thought I was just lame. I guess that could still be the case, and Al is still fast. He'll be bringing his Seca 750 to XS Southeast.

Bottom line; yes, I'm lame. Yes, Greg. That's what I'm saying.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
              ... and Al is still fast. He'll be bringing his Seca 750 to XS Southeast.
              Marty,

Pretty sure that pic is of a Seca 650 ...

EDIT: Sorry for the interruption ... we now return you to your regularly scheduled tire thread ...
              Last edited by Prisoner6; 05-02-2015, 10:11 AM.
              Marco

Current bikes:
              1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
              1979 Honda CBX
              2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
              WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Originally posted by Prisoner6 View Post
                Marty,

Pretty sure that pic is of a Seca 650 ...
                You know, I'm not sure what he has. I am pretty sure it's blue and has a huge round headlight. It probably is a Seca 650. Come out and see it in September!
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

You know, I'm not sure what he has. I am pretty sure it's blue and has a huge round headlight. It probably is a Seca 650. Come out and see it in September!
                  Yeah, that pic is definitely a 650 ... the 750 looks very different.

Marty, I'd love to come to XSSE, but work and other obligations prevent it. XSSE seems to be the premier rally, from what I've read here.

I may be retiring in the next couple of years, God willing, so I'll have more time to attend some of these rallies. It would be great to finally meet some of my fellow XSives!
                  Marco

Current bikes:
                  1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
                  1979 Honda CBX
                  2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
                  WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

egads Marty...you're damn lucky nothing serious happened while you were riding on 2 front tires...glad nuthin did happen...that shop needs to sets things right...
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Hi Marty,
                      Have you checked the Front wheel ? Did he put the tires on the wrong wheels? ( I know they are different sizes too )
                      Phil
                      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Shinko shrinkage...

At the wear bars with 3835 miles and installed first week back in Sept '14...i think I might make 4000 and a little bit more but its toast....too many flat roads around here
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I went the Rider's Hill this afternoon. I asked the service manager to come have a look at my bike. I showed him the back tire. He told me to bring the bike on Wednesday afternoon (they're closed Mon/Tue) and they'll put the proper tire on it. I'll take the wheel. So, it appears that I get away with being a dumb-ass this time.
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

I went the Rider's Hill this afternoon. I asked the service manager to come have a look at my bike. I showed him the back tire. He told me to bring the bike on Wednesday afternoon (they're closed Mon/Tue) and they'll put the proper tire on it. I'll take the wheel. So, it appears that I get away with being a dumb-ass this time.
                            .....actually, it all was informative so no loss(cept the tire). Looks like a FRONT only tire, lacking some carcass reinforcement isn't happy and quits early when it can't 'lead'.
                            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by Prisoner6 View Post
                              We have old, heavy bikes with narrow rims ... and suspension, frame/steering geometry, etc. that were all designed to be used with bias-ply tires.

The tires that fit our bikes are high-profile (large sidewall area), and because we have such narrow rims, IMO we need bias-ply tires with large, stiff sidewalls for stability.
                              ==========
                              I'm with you on this -- no need or desire to push the envelope. I always ran my tires on the XS at maximum PSI for the same reasons you mention above . . . and it lets my turbo spool up quicker as I'm leaving those wet corners.
                              ==========
                              I'm happy to run with bias ply and can vouch from personal experience how dangerous it is to mix bias and radial on a *car* -- just thought it interesting that sometimes it is okay on a bike -- as long as you only run radial on the rear.
                              JIM P.
                              ==========
                              79 SF

Comment

==========
                                Before, I always thought a recent post moved the topic to the top of the list, but I added a comment yesterday and this topic is still way down the list . . . wut the?
                                ==========
                                Did we get timed out for our tire thread?
                                JIM P.
                                ==========
                                79 SF

Comment

Working...
                                X