No announcement yet.

Showa vtx1300 Shocks for the XS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe 25 mm laden sag is a good number on the track. If you run over a dime, you might be able to tell if it's heads or tails.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

I love Skettis too. What are they? Edit: D-oh!

Started with 320 grit on a random orbital (you could do this by hand with 220 and a block) to get rid of factory marks and corrosion, then wet 400 by hand, then 600, then a hard polishing wheel with green bar, then soft buffing wheel. Got the buffing machine at a garage sale. Was a jewellery unit. Still is, I guess. I have done alum polishing completely by hand as well. You just go up to 1500 grit and then buff out with Autosol. Takes longer and your fingers are sore by the end but when you are 20 and desperate for polished mags you do crazy stuff. I'm older and wize... well, um, I'm older now.

Marty, I'll let you know. Heads, I win. I'm actually dying to do a track day at our local joint. Are there fork tops that don't have as much depth to them already? I don't really want to cut anything. OTOH, I already just modded my damper rods permanently.
      Last edited by Orange4; 04-22-2015, 11:10 AM.
      Living to EXcess.
      1978 XS1100E Canadian, Cartridge emulators, NOS heavy duty fork springs,
      Showa rear shocks, ACCT, Jardine 4-2 spaghetti pipes.
      1979 XS1100F Canadian, stock exhaust. Top end rebuild in progress.

Comment

Took it for a ride today. It's much better now, if a bit stiff. Dive is waaaay down and there's actually rebound damping now. It used to bottom on heavy braking. Bike is transformed but needs tuning. Didn't really get to wring it out. I'm pretty sure I'll cut the preload plunger back and see how it is after that.

Steering is heavier because the driver sag is less than half what it was so the steering angle changed.

I'm also going to see if I can put softer springs in the rear shocks as they do come apart.

It's a good thing I like tinkering.
        Living to EXcess.

Comment

Am I right in assuming that the air assist forks have mo mechanical preload adjuster? If I could find a pair of those then I would not have to butcher a set of normal ones. Also, It would probably give me the 18mm less preload (emulator + difference in spring length) I'm looking for, whereas cutting mine down would only give me about 10mm less preload.
          Last edited by Orange4; 04-23-2015, 10:28 AM.
          Living to EXcess.

Comment

The threads are the same and there is no preload adjuster in the air caps. The problem lies with the depth of the thread. Look towards the bottom of this thread for more info...

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ight=fork+caps
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

There may be an aftermarket cap like these:

Living to EXcess.

Comment

Can't recall if "cannot remember his name" ever tried the '80 head on '78 engine, but you may be the first to do so all the way. I know there was some clay testing, etc. If it works-out, please give us a report.

Oh wait, ur using '80 cylinders too. Just remember hearing a head swap.
                1979 XS1100F
                2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

That's on the back burner but there's plenty of valve clearance even with no base gasket. I still have to calculate compression but I'm sure I can get it up there, if I have to, without shaving the head with a thinner copper head gasket and no cylinder base gasket.
                  Living to EXcess.

Comment

Working...
                  X