80 Midnight Special 2k miles- Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Brian,

The Pilot screw heads are about a 1/4" below the bottom of the caps, and the caps are ~1/4" thick also. Take a small drill bit, put a stop set or just tape about a 1/2" from the tip as a guide. Drill THRU the cap, and then use a sheet metal screw to screw into the cap, then use a plier to wriggle them loose and pull out. Then you will have the access to the pilot screws...which are FUEL/AIR screws, not just AIR screws. Turns OUT are richer, turns IN are leaner. Do a search for Carb anatomy thread, there you'll find some nice photos of some carb bodies that were band saw cut into halves to show the passages and such...very intertaining and informative. You will then see how those passages are easily clogged with fuel gum/varnish, and why you are probably not running at optimum fuel/air ratios and mixtures until you get the carbs properly cleaned....and then properly vac. synched.

Yes, the 81's were jetted lean for EPA purposes. I ran a set of 4-1 headers on my 81SH for 9 years WITHOUT any jetting changes and made several LDR's without burning any holes in pistons. You have stock pipes and airbox, with the stock pilots, AND clean carbs, you will probably have plenty of adustment latitude for the pilot screws to get some color in the plugs.

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Carb anatomy photos thread.

I went ahead and did the search, here's the thread with the photos:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...t=carb+anatomy
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
        when I said I will remove the plugs today, I meant the air screw plugs.
        Those are actually FUEL mixture adj. screws/needles.
        If mixture adjustment screws are on head/manifold side of carb....FUEL adj.
        If mixture adjusment screws are on air intake side of carb.....AIR adj.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Thanks TopCat and Motoman. I did several pages of searches yesterday and did see that CCW or screwing the Pilot adjust out made it richer and did see the anatomy pictures, so I greatly mis-wrote when I said "air screw!

That said, I greatly appreciate the plug remove advice Topcat as I did not find that (guess I am too "ADD" to search far enough), and was afraid of over-drilling. THANKS for the great advice. I drilled and pulled the first one, removed it with the spring, washer and rubber ring, then sprayed berryman's in the hole. I did not look dirty but bet they are somewhat clogged. I obviously wish I would have done this when the carbs were out, but now thanks to you both- I learned. once cleaned I will tune and likely back out the 45 PJ's to original.

Much appreciated!
          Brian

Comment

Working...
          X