80 Midnight Special 2k miles- Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80 Midnight Special 2k miles- Project

Sad story but great opportunity. My new 80 Midnight Special only has 2010 miles on it and does not have so much as a scratch on it. I was able to pick it up for $800 Because...

While in storage with a blanket over the gas tank, a leak formed in the shed and totally corroded the engine, locked up the carbs and rusted most screws and some other metal. Very sad and I feel so bad for the original owner. Hope pix show:

He needed to sell and I checked it out and bought it. Engine turns over, tank is dry and clean, all lights, turn signals horn, all work! this bike was mint and barely broke in when this happened, but has not run for several years.

HOWEVER, brown syrup came out of each carb and floats are froze in up position. I used 2/3 a can or WD40, including some in the cylinders before I turned it over with the rear tire in 4th. now with battery- turns over good, but floats barely move and cant get the pins out. Already removed and soaked the bowls, mains and pilots and they are good.

Any ideas on removing the pins. Ready to drop top half of air assy and pull carb row for better access.

Also any best practices on corrosion and rust? After I get it running I will start on that and then repaint engine, etc...

Thanks for all the great help!

BTW- trick for removing Pilots- is to press a #7 torx up into it- works every time.

This is my 3rd XS1100. First I bought in 79 and sold in 2007, and now have a red 79 special that I LOVE!!!

Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
      - - - floats barely move and cant get the pins out. - - - Any ideas on removing the pins - - -
      Hi Brian,
      You should completely dismantle the carbs and dose them up good with your favorite carb cleaner.
      My best trick to move float pins without busting the support pillars off is to hit the unflanged end with a spring-loaded centerpunch.
      I keep one in my toolbox just for that.
      Works every time.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

thanks Marty for fixing my pix and Fred for the carb advice!!

Brian

Comment

Plan on getting the "O" rings for the needle seats in the carbs. They WILL split, if they have not already. This is NOT on the '79, just '80 and up. Good price for a VERY low mile MNS!
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

thanks Diver Ray. I remember those little o rings under the clips.

Brian

Comment

As I recall

there is a tool you can buy that will press out the pin without putting pressure on the towers that in your case I would highly recommend purchasing due to the stuck condition you have.

Also, heat is your friend if you use a soldering iron, would NOT recommend a torch or heat gun here. Just place the tip of a 30 watt iron against the fat side and squirt it with penetrating oil, then use that press.
              79 SF & 80 LG MNS
              73 & 74 RD 350's
              73 Honda CL 450
              Graveyard - '81 XS850 Special

All of my bikes are projects, maybe one day I'll have them running.

Comment

Originally posted by Gmac View Post
                there is a tool you can buy that will press out the pin without putting pressure on the towers that in your case I would highly recommend purchasing due to the stuck condition you have.
                That tool is available from Randakk's Cycle Shakk.
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

I just did a '79 with a float that would not move. Used Berryman's B12 Chemtool spray to clean around the float base/pin. after about 20 minutes, I could move the float again. It STILL took a while to get the pin out, but I was able to without breaking posts.
                  With all 4 stuck, try and make a pan from foil that will allow you to soak JUST THE BASE AND TO THE PINS of the carbs wit ha GOOD cleaner. that should help loosen everything. And yeah, you will have to pull the carbs and really clean them well to get the bike to run correctly.
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

thanks everyone. I will remove the carbs today and try the Berrymans- I use that stuff a bunch. Greatly appreciate everyone's insight and advice.

Comment

And if the Berrymans doesn't work I will buy the tool.

Do any of you ever use a wire wheel on a drill for corrosion?

Thanks again, Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
                        And if the Berrymans doesn't work I will buy the tool.

Do any of you ever use a wire wheel on a drill for corrosion?

Thanks again, Brian
                        That depends upon what. I don't believe that will be appropriate on aluminum.
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

THANKS, yes, I was thinking of the aluminum, but not using a steel brush. Not sure if there are brass or other materials.

Comment

Hi Brian,
                            I have most of those corroded parts thats you need to refinish in my bins.

Send me an email for photos

Don _ rich @ sbcglobal.net

[IMG][/IMG]
                            78E, 79F, 80G

Comment

Here's the carb rebuild pictorial.... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36017

Be aware that Berrymans will eat all the factory paint off the carbs.

You got a real score; a complete, unmolested stock bike with a good OEM exhaust. Cleaning all that corrosion off will be a chore. If you know anybody that does powdercoating, he's your new best friend... LOL. The damaged 'gold' parts will be difficult to restore without replating. Do a search for Mack's threads on his restoration of a MNS for tips. Keyword is 'Spica'.
                              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                              '82 XJ rebuild project
                              '80SG restified, red SOLD
                              '79F parts...
                              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...
                              X