No announcement yet.

a couple carb questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From post #62, sorry I buried it in the end of the post... Maybe you would have seen it sooner...

"SNORKEL can be manipulated, removed or shortened to allow easier sliding rearward"

Glad you got it figured out!
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by DeanR View Post
      Ray, old buddy old pal! (I don't know Ray by the way), you nailed it. This picture is more or less where I was at with my first post about this problem. Squishing the snorkel was the tip I needed to get the final bit of travel to attach the airbox boots.
      The second tip I needed was to manhandle the brass bracket with a big screwdriver, after tightening all the boots, to get that bracket above the frame tab where it is supposed to be. (the actual original problem)
      Piss poor design.

Thanks everyone. My carbs are not coming off again any time soon.
      Good to hear you succeded! Hook up the crankcase hose( and a long vacuum cap slid over that fugly enricher lever), should be good to run.
      Been good to have run fuel to the carbs mounted, before installing airbox. Quicker/easier to locate any suspect leak from carbs from a float' hang',etc..
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
        Been good to have run fuel to the carbs mounted, before installing airbox.
        Yep, I forgot. It'll be fine....perhaps.
        80 SG
        81 SH in parts
        99 ST1100
        91 ST1100

Comment

"My carbs are not coming off again anytime soon."

LOL...we'll see.
          "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Questions....again.

I didn't note how this brass bracket (with the hose) attached. The service manual or fiches don't really show it. Anyone have a picture?

Also, the rubber thing that the seat tab fits into is ripped. It doesn't show on the fiches as available, not even a name or part number. Anybody have one by any chance?

As I was putting the bottom of the airbox back on, it was being stubborn and not doable. Turns out the K&N (thought to be in perfect shape) has shrunk! and does not fit. A call to K&N, and the nice lady is sending out a new one. Good for them!

80 SG
            81 SH in parts
            99 ST1100
            91 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
              Good to hear you succeded! Hook up the crankcase hose( and a long vacuum cap slid over that fugly enricher lever), should be good to run.
              Been good to have run fuel to the carbs mounted, before installing airbox. Quicker/easier to locate any suspect leak from carbs from a float' hang',etc..
              hope you tightened down those clamps on the boots there...
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Questions....again.

I didn't note how this brass bracket (with the hose) attached. The service manual or fiches don't really show it. Anyone have a picture?

The side we're looking at goes down. The hose goes to the left. The finger goes to the right, over the top of the wire harness. The bolt in the top airbox bracket goes through it, then the bracket, and into the frame. Hopefully, that paints a clear enough picture.
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

Thanks Marty..
                  Does this look right?

80 SG
                  81 SH in parts
                  99 ST1100
                  91 ST1100

Comment

I'm not Marty, but that's it.

Comment

Move the intake boot clamps

Dean, after you've done this a few times you'll get the hang of it and you'll be able to make your own movie about how to install the carburetors or you'll use them for skeet targets... I'd love to see that one, actually.

Did you try to install the carburetors with all the manifold boot clamps still in place the way you have them in your picture? The video shows it's a lot easier if you slip the clamps 'forward' toward the head, slide in the carbs, then put the clamps back in place and tighten the carbs in place.

Also, you won't notice it unless you look closely or you've done it before -- and it's not in the video -- but if you manhandled the airbox into position you need to double-check the snorkel where it fits into the upper half of the box. The snorkel can get pulled up and out, twisted, or pushed down into the airbox and it won't seat correctly. When that happens it squishes the snorkel out of shape and makes an air leak, which is not a big deal, really, but it can also make the relatively small air intake path through the snorkel even smaller until you tease the snorkel back into place.

Happy clamping!

-- Scott
                      _____
                      ♬
                      2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                      1979 XS1100F: parts
                      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.
                      ♬

Comment

Originally posted by LoHo View Post
                        "My carbs are not coming off again anytime soon."

LOL...we'll see.

You were so right and it didn't take long! As I'm in the garage figuring out how to add inline filters, it occurs to me that in my anticipation of finally getting things all hooked up, I had neglected to do a final snug-up of all the fasteners on the carbs before installing them.

Happily, I got en off and on in no time! and most of the fasteners needed a turn..
                        80 SG
                        81 SH in parts
                        99 ST1100
                        91 ST1100

Comment

I have another bike with carb boot issues and I am actually considering just doing band-aid work to avoid pulling the carbs AGAIN, idiot that I am. I will do it properly, but the temptation to dodge that simple, yet disgusting, task, is powerful.

Comment

Hopefully you put the filters on while the carbs were off, a much simpler task.

Comment

Well, things are finally all buttoned up, starting well, running well in the garage and ready for a quick unregistered and uninsured jaunt down the street.

Thanks for all the help and guidance guys.
                              80 SG
                              81 SH in parts
                              99 ST1100
                              91 ST1100

Comment

Well, things are finally all buttoned up, starting well, running well in the garage and ready for a quick unregistered and uninsured jaunt down the street.
                                BTDT ...

Good job, Dean ... glad you have her running so well!
                                Last edited by Prisoner6; 04-30-2015, 08:08 AM.
                                Marco

Current bikes:
                                1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
                                1979 Honda CBX
                                2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
                                WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Working...
                                X