No announcement yet.

a couple carb questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well the heck with waiting for tomorrows' heat wave. Everything is loose (couldn't get much easier, just have to remember where the hoses go). Can't seem to get the carb bank free of all 8 boots at the same time though. Not necessary to remove the airbox, correct? Sure could use another inch of room but I think I just need to do some better wiggling?
    80 SG
    81 SH in parts
    99 ST1100
    91 ST1100

Comment

I always drop the airbox down, and it sorta stays in the general arrea, I don't remove it completely. Most of us have a trick or two on carb bank removal/ installation, since we've done it at least 6 times!
      79 F
      Previously owned: (among others)
      1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
      1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
      1973 Suzuki TM 125
      1979 XS1100 F
      2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
      1991 BMW K75

Comment

Finally got em out. That's not an easy maneuver.

Heading indoors now, to that turkey-less kitchen table Phil!
        80 SG
        81 SH in parts
        99 ST1100
        91 ST1100

Comment

If you think that's tough, try the XS650. I can never remember the trick to getting them out.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
            If you think that's tough, try the XS650. I can never remember the trick to getting them out.
            Some years 650 are easier than others, it's something like getting the gear cluster back in to an 11 after the washer swap. Nothing to it once you wiggle the trick in to it, heck only took me about 2 weeks till it magically popped in.
            76 XS650 C ROADSTER
            80 XS650 G Special II
            https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
            80 XS 1100 SG
            81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
            https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
            AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Seems my #2 carb boot was hanging on with only one screw. Perhaps that is the actual reason for its' misbehaving, not the pilot jet.

Interesting air box find. I stick some hunks of anti-mice Irish Spring soap in various spots on the bike in the fall. Guess I forgot about that when I had it out a couple times this year for very short rides. Airbox and K&N was a bit mucked up with soap substance on removal. Not bad though.
              80 SG
              81 SH in parts
              99 ST1100
              91 ST1100

Comment

I believe you have your gremlin.
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

Dean

At least they smell great and: "I LIKE IT TOO!"
                  Seriously though, you should put some carb cleaner and compressed air those puppies to get the soap scum out.
                  mack
                  79 XS 1100 SF Special
                  HERMES
                  original owner
                  http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                  SPICA
                  http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                  IOTA
                  https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                  https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                  Frankford, Ont, Canada
                  613-398-6186

Comment

Originally posted by DeanR View Post
                    Well the heck with waiting for tomorrows' heat wave. Everything is loose (couldn't get much easier, just have to remember where the hoses go). Can't seem to get the carb bank free of all 8 boots at the same time though. Not necessary to remove the airbox, correct? Sure could use another inch of room but I think I just need to do some better wiggling?
                    Guess you missed post #6.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                      Guess you missed post #6.
                      Nope, I saw all posts Brant. Airbox bottom off, but could not get that top mounting bracket moved forward enough to drop the airbox top. Now with the carbs out it is dropped. Will have to see how that works out when it comes time to reinstall.
                      80 SG
                      81 SH in parts
                      99 ST1100
                      91 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by DeanR View Post
                        Nope, I saw all posts Brant. Airbox bottom off, but could not get that top mounting bracket moved forward enough to drop the airbox top. Now with the carbs out it is dropped. Will have to see how that works out when it comes time to reinstall.
                        That bracket is stubborn but with a little convincing and a big screwdriver it'll move past that tab.
                        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                          That bracket is stubborn but with a little convincing and a big screwdriver it'll move past that tab.
                          Knew not to remove, but bent down out of way....permanently solved that.
                          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Not remove, the airbox and the bracket are flexible enough to pry it over the tab and then back into place on reinstall.

Done it a hunnert times.
                            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                              Not remove, the airbox and the bracket are flexible enough to pry it over the tab and then back into place on reinstall.

Done it a hunnert times.
                              Yea....likely wouldn't of been my choice bending that bracket, but it had already been done when I got the bike back. Again, my bad for selling it in the first place back in 91' after owning for ten yrs. from new.

Comment

Well,carbs are cleaning up nicely. Even hit the bowls with some Mothers Aluminum Polish I had. Nice and shiny now! Also am using the outboard chrome covers from both sets, so now all 4 are chrome.

I've been using a couple cans of carb cleaner and Simple Green and lots of Q tips. Walmart carb cleaner is so much cheaper than others. I have heard that it is much harsher? Any opinions about using it. Can't see spending any more than necessary just for cleaner.

I did take the carbs outside (minus jets and diaphragms) and emptied a can on them. Would that have reached anything that it shouldn't?
                                Regarding diaphragms, any cleaning or carefully wiping them down with something prior to installing recommended? Man they cost a fortune to buy!!
                                80 SG
                                81 SH in parts
                                99 ST1100
                                91 ST1100

Comment

Working...
                                X