Foot Peg Rubber upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
    You've done a pretty good job...so far. Now, make it perform. You'll need some better, longer shocks. New springs up front, maybe straight rate with emulators. You definitely need a fork brace. Leave it like it is, and this friend of mine is going to have you for breakfast. (He may do it anyway)
    Is this the fork brace you gents have on your bikes?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fork-Brace-M...item3a806cea6b
    80 G

Comment

Wow! That is expensive! Get a Tkat brace for about $100.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
        Wow! That is expensive! Get a Tkat brace for about $100.
        $90 more for pretty . . . .I'll really need to debate this one. . .
        80 G

Comment

That's a TKAT brace in the photo of Marty, they shine up real nice with a bit of buffer work. Actually, every bike in that photo has a TKAT brace on it.
          Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
          http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
          82 XJ1100
          80 XS1100G (Project bike)
          64 Yamaha YA-6
          77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
          See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

Don't know if this is true for the XS, but the XJ main pegs are held in place with a rivit. I ground off the bottom end to remove the OEM pegs.

I mounted mini-floorboards on the XJ but also tried foot pegs from a Honda GL1500 which are wider and softer than the Yamaha units. These were quite comfortable but I went with the mini-boards as they dropped the foot location down a bit, more comfortable for me during long rides. I used a SS metric bolt to replace the OEM rivit. I don't recall having to mod the Honda foot pegs to make them fit but it has been years since I played with them. I do recall the the XJ's peg bracket can be adjusted a bit up or down by loosening the bold that holds them in place and I used this feature to get a better (more comfortable) angle on the pegs.

There are a bunch of after-market GL 1500 pegs that maybe could be adapted to an XS or XJ as well.
            Jerry Fields
            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
            '06 Concours
            My Galleries Page.
            My Blog Page.
            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Originally posted by Tmycal View Post
              Is this the fork brace you gents have on your bikes?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fork-Brace-M...item3a806cea6b

With this, you can put the fender back on. Tkat's fork brace assembly for the Yamaha XS
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by Yahman View Post
                That's a TKAT brace in the photo of Marty, they shine up real nice with a bit of buffer work. Actually, every bike in that photo has a TKAT brace on it.
                Photo is JeffH, my identical cousin.

This is me.

Tarozzi makes a brace for the XS11 as well. Its function is similar to TKAT.

Fast From the Past deals in them.
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

Thank you for the response. You're way out in England! I may be PMing you in the near future depending on how desperate I get. I was really looking for an upgrade, something different than OEM. If I don't find another solution, I'll hit you up.

Thanks Again.
                  No problem. England isn't so way out though, as many recipients of wheel bearings will testify!
                  XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by Yahman View Post
                    What you may want to do is go with the European foot peg position. It is moved back a bit. See some of James England's posts for more info and help with that.
                    Yep. And I have a full conversion set available too!

XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Here is my bike . . . sure I'm sure I'll get critiqued on it,
                      My ass hurts just looking at that seat!
                      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post

Ha ha ha ha ha ha.............Jeff with his chicken wire headlight.
                        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Awesome! Thanks a bunch for the help. I had been searching for a fork brace too since I have no front fender and those forks IMO are a tad undersized for such a heavy bike.
                          That big brace looks a bit agricultural, IMO. I'd shop around for a used vintage one myself. They come up on eBay regularly. The Micron ones usually go for about $75 although I see that new replicas are now available...
                          http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fork-Brace...item3a806cea6b

Yes, the forks are weedy for such a big bike. We've had different opinions on the merits of using a fork brace but I've always fitted one to every XS1100 I've ever had and always found they make a big difference.
                          Last edited by James England; 05-22-2014, 01:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                            Ha ha ha ha ha ha.............Jeff with his chicken wire headlight.
                            Why would anyone keep poultry on a motorbike?

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                              Why would anyone keep poultry on a motorbike?
                              It has a fairing on it now. The chicken wire was short lived.
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                                That big brace looks a bit agricultural, IMO. I'd shop around for a used vintage one myself. They come up on eBay regularly.

Yes, the forks are weedy for such a big bike. We've had different opinions on the merits of using a fork brace but I've always fitted one to every XS1100 I've ever had and always found they make a big difference.
                                The big brace is popular with the motorcycle hipsters. James, you're out of touch.

Marty (in Mississippi)
                                XS1100SG
                                XS650SK
                                XS650SH
                                XS650G
                                XS6502F
                                XS650E

Comment

Working...
                                X