Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition

Originally posted by visago22 View Post
    could the ignition be wasted from the previous owner jumping the bike with his car?
    If that were the case, both circuits would likely be history. As mentioned, jumping off with another 12 volt battery will do no harm.

Welding, on the other hand, on these bikes could take out the ignition module. Simply remove the battery ground cable if you do plan to weld. Better yet, remove both battery cables and take the battery out.
    1981 XS1100H Venturer
    K&N Air Filter
    ACCT
    Custom Paint by Deitz
    Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
    Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
    Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
    Stebel Nautilus Horn
    EBC Front Rotors
    Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

i checked under the left side cover and the two wires seem to be in ok shape...didnt see and rubber banding when tugging slightly...
      You need to tug aggressively on those wires, not 'slightly'. If you can pull one of those wires apart with the pull between your thumb and first finger, it was broken or down to only a couple of strands or copper anyways.

Think of how much force it would take to pull apart a fresh piece of wire that gauge, and whether you could even do it with two hands. Probably not. Now think how much less force you can pull with two fingers, and you'll see you can actually be quite aggressive when you do this procedure.
      Ken Talbot

Comment

i started the bike and pulled on all 4 wires and nothing really changed as far as the idle..when i tilted that whole assembly forward it did pick up the pace in the idle, but it seemed like a vacuum advance as the exhaust pipes were still not getting hot.
        i dont suppose someone has a spare ignition module laying around huh?
        78 E

Comment

Have you checked continuity yet in the 4 pickup coil wires yet?
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
            Have you checked continuity yet in the 4 pickup coil wires yet?
            Continuity and check the Ohm reading on the wires.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

ok ...just to make sure we are on the same page....i am checking the right plug here on this
              [IMG][/IMG]

this is my meter...what settings do i use? (electrical idiot)
              [IMG][/IMG]
              78 E

Comment

Turn that dial to Rx100 (resistance). You will hopefully see a dime or less between one end and the other of the wire.
                1979 XS1100F
                2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

top 2 wires read 7 on Rx100...is that about right??
                  78 E

Comment

bottom two is 7 as well
                    78 E

Comment

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121
                      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

bottom two is 7 as well
                        That should be within range.

If no one closer has a TCI I have a couple.

But before we do that, find the plug behind the fuse panel where the pickup coils plug into the harness. Unplug it and make sure it's not corroded up. Pack some dielectric grease in there when you plug it back and it'll save you dropping cylinders if you get caught in a down pour.
                        Last edited by BA80; 04-17-2014, 12:49 PM.
                        Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Guys...first of all, thank you for all the advice and knowledge...this being my first XS, i am still dumb to all the nuances of this pup.

So i have been outside unplugging things and replugging things, checking spark and swapping wires...and i tried to start it...and it worked....suddenly its popping on the right side pipe and i can feel heat...holy crap, its working, after a few minutes of revving and annoying neighbors, the popping stopped and i rode it down the street, thats a fun little bike, i forgot about the acceleration of a japanese bike!!! Now i just need some rear brakes, lol.
                          78 E

Comment

Cool. I just noticed I quoted one of your posts and one of mine, I meant to quote both of yours with the ohm readings.
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Plugs, huh?

CZ

Comment

Sounds like the plug behind the fuse panel was either corroded or wet.
                                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                                X