Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CB1000 Air Shocks: Arrived in mail leaking . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CB1000 Air Shocks: Arrived in mail leaking . . .

I bought a pair of CB1000 air shocks off eBay supposedly in good condition. However, the package arrived saturated in oil (surprised post office delivered it). So, my question is: before I even attempt to install them, what should my first step be? I pressed on both of them, and neither one collapsed, so I guess that's a good sign. Refill with oil? How much and what kind? Where do I fill them? Are the seals bad?
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
    what should my first step be?
    Tell the seller to give you your money back!!!
    Tom
    1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
    1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
    1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
    1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Originally posted by TomB View Post
      Tell the seller to give you your money back!!!
      My thoughts exactly!
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

AFAIK, the work you need performed on those shocks is not a DIY project. O would also suggest you contact the seller.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

The oil probably came out an open air line which would be normal for laying the shock on it's side. I do agree it's the sellers fault not to properly cap the lines before shipment. It probably wouldn't be too hard to figure out the oil weight/capacity (google) and just refill them, JMHO.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

The seller contacted me and stated that if the valve was opened and the shocks were tossed around, oil would leak out. Is there any definitive way to test if the shocks are bad?
            1979 XS1100F
            2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Also, the valve did not appear to be the common Schrader air valve. It looks like an empty fitting. Any ideas as to swapping that out
              Last edited by IanDMacDonald; 03-02-2014, 09:43 AM.
              1979 XS1100F

Comment

The opening on the shock is probably for a plastic air line that is T'd together with the other shock and a single schrader valve to fill both shocks equally. A close up pic would be helpful some.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

Comment

Sorry, not sure what happened to the pic

Last edited by IanDMacDonald; 03-02-2014, 08:45 PM.
                  1979 XS1100F

Comment

"Mindwebs" posted in my SW thread, so I guess that takes care of the bleeding question. How about the Schrader valve question?
                    1979 XS1100F

Comment

Without pics of what you are starting with we can't really help you proceed. None of your dropbox pics ever show up.
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights
                      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines
                      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

My pics are not showing? I see the pics right now. Hmm. Heres the link to the pic:
                        https://db.tt/4DU5e2h4
                        1979 XS1100F

Comment

If you take the end off is there a compression fitting in there?
                          2H7 (79)
                          3H3

Comment

That looks like a busted Schreader valve and the oil then leaked from there.
                            1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                            1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                            1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                            1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                            1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

I think Schming has it right. Busted Schrader valve. I'll head to Auto Zone/Advance tomorrow to see how I want to do this.
                              1979 XS1100F

Comment

Working...
                              X