Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally!

That was a long journey.

Good for you and thanks for sharing your findings.
    -Mike
    _________
    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Carburetors

Good to hear Marty. You now have a happy XS11! Rather amazing what the wrong parts can do to carburetor performance. Congratulations on the find.
      1981 XS1100H Venturer
      K&N Air Filter
      ACCT
      Custom Paint by Deitz
      Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
      Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
      Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
      Stebel Nautilus Horn
      EBC Front Rotors
      Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
        This is a very old thread. I finally fixed my 25 to 30 mpg. I replaced the emulsion tubes and slide needles. Now 40 mpg!

XJ4ever.com has correct reproduction needles and emulsion tubes.
        Good to hear you were able to resolve the issue Marty, and that XJever.com. had the needed pieces. Anyone for future reference, Suzuki uses and still has available from dealerships the correct OEM slide needles.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I have been getting bad gas mileage in the past and running very rich. Unfortunately I didn't run my bike for the past 2 years and I am 100% sure it also needs to be re-jetted. It's 1980 Special with cheapo eBay air pods and Kerker 4 into 1 exhaust and I know I have stock jets.
          I was getting 70 miles max on my full Special tank. I would like to try to fix it and make sure it runs properly now. Can someone refresh my memory on what jets would I need if I've got air pods and aftermarket exhaust?
          I am going to check out XJ4ever.com.
          Thank you and I am trying hard not to loose my interest in it and not putting up my XS1100 for sale.

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
          This is a very old thread. I finally fixed my 25 to 30 mpg. I replaced the emulsion tubes and slide needles. Now 40 mpg!

XJ4ever.com has correct reproduction needles and emulsion tubes.
          1980 XS1100SG
          1991 HONDA CIVIC EF
          1998 DODGE RAM 1500

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_WI View Post
            I have been getting bad gas mileage in the past and running very rich. Unfortunately I didn't run my bike for the past 2 years and I am 100% sure it also needs to be re-jetted. It's 1980 Special with cheapo eBay air pods and Kerker 4 into 1 exhaust and I know I have stock jets.
            I was getting 70 miles max on my full Special tank. I would like to try to fix it and make sure it runs properly now. Can someone refresh my memory on what jets would I need if I've got air pods and aftermarket exhaust?
            I am going to check out XJ4ever.com.
            Thank you and I am trying hard not to loose my interest in it and not putting up my XS1100 for sale.
            Buy a stock airbox and stick with stock jetting. I believe the aggressive needles in the Special won’t play well with altered jets. No hard data on that, just my hunch.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Thanks for the input. I do have stock air filter assembly and I will try putting it on. When I got the bike from literally a barn I ended up taking all carbs apart I don't know how many times to make sure they are clean inside and needles will seat so they won't leak gasoline.
              1980 XS1100SG
              1991 HONDA CIVIC EF
              1998 DODGE RAM 1500

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_WI View Post
                Thanks for the input. I do have stock air filter assembly and I will try putting it on. When I got the bike from literally a barn I ended up taking all carbs apart I don't know how many times to make sure they are clean inside and needles will seat so they won't leak gasoline.
                The 4-1 exhaust along with the Air pod filters makes for a very difficult tune. The pods save time for removing air filters but the downside is that it seems you have to remove them more often than the stock box to work on the carbs.
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
                03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

Actually I have been thinking about going EFI conversion route. I know it's been done before and described here. Particularly with MegaSquirt ECU and 2002 GSXR 600 throttle bodies. Somewhat pricey but I am up for this challenge.
                  1980 XS1100SG
                  1991 HONDA CIVIC EF
                  1998 DODGE RAM 1500

Comment

EFI would be a really big undertaking, considering you mentioned you want to be sure you don't lose interest before finishing.

Hope you get it tweaked whatever path you choose.
                    -Mike
                    _________
                    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

The path was chosen.
                      I am putting up my 1980 Special for sale because I've got a new bike.
                      1980 XS1100SG
                      1991 HONDA CIVIC EF
                      1998 DODGE RAM 1500

Comment

Working...
                      X