Needle Jets. Where to get them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.bestboatparts.com/index.p...37c7787917107d

http://www.danscycle.com/OEMpartfind...S1100LG_-_1980)
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
      What still bugs me, is that I get instant start with a cold bike and no choke. It's harder to start when warm.
      Just a far-fetched idea, but have you checked your timing and mechanical advance? I had trouble starting as well, it was related to both for me.
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
        Just a far-fetched idea, but have you checked your timing and mechanical advance? I had trouble starting as well, it was related to both for me.
        You are correct! Always eliminate every electrical possibility before messing with carburetors.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

TC,
          I hadn't thought about the springs. Mike's XS has them for $3.50 ea. That would be a good place to start! The pic of the kit at Jets-R-Us looks like K&L. I have a bunch of K&L needles. I suppose I could see what happens when I install them. I'd rather stay OEM, but those should tell me if I'm on the right track. Thanks again, TC!
          Do we know that the 650 uses the same spring as the 11? Different (gets similar) carbs on different bikes. Springs very likely could be different.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
            Do we know that the 650 uses the same spring as the 11? Different (gets similar) carbs on different bikes. Springs very likely could be different.
            I checked the part number over at Partzilla. According to that site, the spring is the same for both bikes.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Thanks, but that place has fooled me before. Click "Add to cart" and the response is "NOT AVAILABLE - OBSOLETE".

The bike runs good, so I won't mess with it this week. I'm riding to Birmingham next weekend. A little rich won't hurt with all the putting around at the Vintage Fest.

I need to update my coils, so that will come first. I'll get some springs after I build a Mike's XS order.

What still bugs me, is that I get instant start with a cold bike and no choke. It's harder to start when warm.
              Possible ACTUAL fuel levels in bowls could be a millimeter +- high or enricher circuit is bleeding fuel by it. Startin' cold with no enricher is a sure sign a bit much fuel is getting past somewhere. BTW, 1millimeter of static float setting equals approx. 2.5-3mm of actual fuel levels, so equal setting of ALL floats IS critical.
              Last edited by motoman; 10-06-2013, 01:57 PM.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Carb Needles

I hope this may help some if you decide to get new needles

Earlier this year I had to do a total clean and rebuild of my SG's carbs.
                They were really bad from eight years of sitting. I checked and cleaned every thing.
                Ordered my kits from GeorgeFix.
                During my reassembly i noticed that the #1 and #4 needles had marks on the sides. Mounted them up to check for true and sure enough they were both bent.

I then called GeorgeFix: I had gotten one kit with a needle and was hoping to get more.
                GeorgeFix said: If the kits have needles, he sells the kit that way, if not no needle. He does not have them separate at the time.

Now this the part that really matters. I mic'd the #2 and #3 needles both of them in good shape.

The 5GL-16 needle has one slot and two steps in its taper.

The the needle that came in the carb kit from GeorgeFix was for a E or F model XS11, single taper (don't remember the # right now and don't have chart handy).

I went with DynoJet kit, I know they are good and a whole lot more tuning.
                The DynoJet needles are single taper like the E and F model.

As for springs you can use FZR 400W.

All this cost me couple of handfuls of hair.
                Last edited by rodwerx; 10-07-2013, 03:11 PM. Reason: speeling
                '80 XS11 Special SG, Black
                _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
                WOMEN are like BACON
                They LOOK, SMELL, and TASTE GREAT And slowly KILL MEN

Comment

Hey Rod,

That's good info, thanks. Do you happen to have made notes on the values of the tapers...and their locations on the needle, like how many mm's down from the mounting slots?

I wrote to JetsRus, and asked them about the kits with needles, and they said that they were separate suppliers..(probably K&L as suggested), and that they(the supplier) didn't sell the the needles separately, so they didn't have any specs on these kit needles!

Sounds like we need to get our bikes needles out and mike them at the same locations as the jetsrus infomation guide shows, and see if we can match up something similar.

We know that the later the year models, the more leaner they tuned the bikes for emissions...so I would think if we find needles similar, we could hedge towards the slightly richer side/sizes.

It's interesting to hear that the Standards have only 1 taper while the specials have 2 taper zones!? Would be good to confirm this with more sets of measurements from other members, because of the expected variability of both just measurement techniques, as well as age/worn needles. Once we get a decent database of measurements of needles, then we'll be better able to find a close replacement from what JetsRus has rather than having to go the DynoJet method, or just accepting the K&L kit ones....we know how well their Pilot jets match!

T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Good info, thanks! I bought GeorgeFix kits, but did not use the jets or needles. K&L was the kit manufacturer. Hopefully, I'll get past this without needing the needles in the haystack.
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

Marty, have you considered the emulsion tubes? I've read on here of people swapping just those, not the needles, when they didn't LOOK worn, and it helped fuel mileage a lot.. which would mean they were running rich before.

I've got the Dynojet needles in mine, but it didn't help my fuel mileage. I've been considering trying to replace the emulsion tubes.
                      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100
                      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Are the emulsion tubes an available item? I'm going to ride it like it is to Birmingham and back this weekend like it is. I should replace my coils first. I acquired some Accel coils, but they turned out to be .5 ohm.

I thought I had everything perfect. Cold starts required choke. Now, no choke, instant start. It smells rich. Float levels should not have changed, right? What happened?
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

Are the emulsion tubes an available item?
                          Hmmm.. Not that I'm seeing.
                          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100
                          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Are the emulsion tubes an available item?
                            3H5-14941-02-00. $27 at the above link.
                            1979 XS1100F

Comment

Needles

T.C.

I did take measurements and notes, but will have to dig them out.
                              '80 XS11 Special SG, Black
                              _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
                              WOMEN are like BACON
                              They LOOK, SMELL, and TASTE GREAT And slowly KILL MEN

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                                I just had the cover off to have a look at it. The advance functions when I turn the throttle. When I move the advance by hand, it is not smooth. It feels a bit like a ratchet. I have a spare and it's smooth like butter. Could this be my problem. I'm getting the red light on at 80 something miles.
                                Marty (in Mississippi)
                                XS1100SG
                                XS650SK
                                XS650SH
                                XS650G
                                XS6502F
                                XS650E

Comment

Working...
                                X