Needle Jets. Where to get them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needle Jets. Where to get them?

The SG takes 5GL16 jet needles. Are these available new? Where? I checked Jets-R-Us and did a Google search. I came up empty.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
    The SG takes 5GL16 jet needles. Are these available new? Where? I checked Jets-R-Us and did a Google search. I came up empty.
    Can't remember where I saw those available Marty. The late model carbs on the Standard is N/A for the metering rods, but for the Special still is. My Venturer also has the SG/SH carbs on it with the 5GL16 metering rods, which stock came with 110mains across. Plannin' on bumping mine up to 112.5's least in the center cyls. to aleviate the slight lean cond. cruisin' on the slab. 110's is what made the Special a lean&mean bar-hopper. Not such a good idea cruisin' the slab.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Same thing here

Marty,
      Same thing happened to me, searched for a good 45mins and came up dry.
      Yet, one of the search options pointed me to Georgefix on ebay. He doesn't sell the needles by themselves only the kits, but he may have a solution for you.
      Is that the main needle at the bottom of the slider/diaphragm assembly?
      How many do you need? I'll ask my local shop guy here, he's been around forever and sometimes surprises me with what he has in stock.
      1980G Standard, Restored
      Kerker 4 - 1
      850 Rear End Mod
      2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
      Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
      Automatic CCT
      1980GH Special, Restored
      Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
      '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
      Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

There's always Dynojet?
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
          There's always Dynojet?
          What is this Dynojet kit ? Keep hearing about it and suspected it would just use more fuel and increase power ?

I'm using all the fuel I want to and my plugs are still nearly white.

MMM says white is good and the deeper down into the porcelain the better but he's a racer and street is different, yes ?
          76 XS650 C ROADSTER
          80 XS650 G Special II
          https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
          80 XS 1100 SG
          81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
          https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
          AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Originally posted by donebysunday View Post
            What is this Dynojet kit ? Keep hearing about it and suspected it would just use more fuel and increase power ?

I'm using all the fuel I want to and my plugs are still nearly white.

MMM says white is good and the deeper down into the porcelain the better but he's a racer and street is different, yes ?
            If you get them adjusted right, most people see a bit of power increase as well as a fuel mileage increase. For my XJ, the stock slide needles are not adjustable, so it gave me an adjustment there.

Everything I've heard, you want a light tan on your plugs. White is lean. These bikes seem to like just a bit rich.
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I was dialed in perfectly. The ceramic was white. Throttle reaction, perfect. It has migrated to rich. Now, on a cool morning, I touch the start button and, VROOOM! No choke. I smell rich even warm. 30 mpg. I have a little stumble with the throttle just cracked open.

I will probably put new coils in it before I remove the carburetors again. If that doesn't fix it, I have to get back in the carbs. Pilots are stock. Mains are 115 across.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Marty,
                I think I had a similar situation to the one you describe with my XJ. It ran great at all throttle settings but stumbled/sputtered some at low rpms, low speed maneuvers, such as when you're negotiating your way around a parking lot and at slow speeds (2k to 2.5k rpms). BikerPhil and I tried everything under the sun, from leaning the fuel to almost flooding it without success.
                It wasn't until I decided to go for larger pilot jets (40 to 42.5) that this issue finally cleared up.
                It's been running great even after eliminating the airbox and going to K&N pods with my RC Engineering 4X2 exhaust.
                Am I reading your situation correctly?
                1980G Standard, Restored
                Kerker 4 - 1
                850 Rear End Mod
                2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                Automatic CCT
                1980GH Special, Restored
                Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Hey Marty,

During our discussion at the Inn by the river, I thought about it, but then forgot to mention...I remember reading on here a while(years) ago about someone else with a rich condition despite the proper jetting and such. Turned out the vac. slide springs were slightly sprung/compressed which allowed the slides to rise sooner than desired for the rpm/vac load. I think he pulled/stretched them a bit and this cured his problem. I think someone also posted the length measurements of the stock springs, but I don't recall what the values were!? JAT!

Also, just to help "US", does anyone have the taper specs for the stock needle...5GL16 ? The JetsRus site has the various taper dimensions at different locations on the needles that can be used to compare with, and I would think "we" could find one that is relatively CLOSE to the OEM needles IF we had the OEM taper specs.

T.C.

PS: Dynojet kit for our bikes, 80-84 XS/XJ carbs, not for the 78-79 carbs!
                  http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/4101.pdf

They do NOT replace the carbs large main needle jet=emulsion tube!!! Just the Main jet and Pilot Air Jet, along with the vac. slide needle.

Dynojet site: http://www.dynojet.com/jetkits/motorcycle/yamaha.aspx
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hey Marty,

I just looked at the Jetsrus site again to review the jet needles. As you found they do not show a listing for the 5GL16 needle. They do have many needles in the "5" series shown with various combinations of tapers and lengths.

They state that if you don't see the needle you need to look at their carb kits! They show 3 different carb kits for 78E, 79F-SF, and 80 G/SG that all have NEEDLES in the kits. They do not show a kit for the 81 series WITH a needle. These kit #'s are 18-2555; 18-2581; and 18-2559. I would think/hope that if "we" wrote to them, that they would/could tell us what jet NEEDLE is in these different kits, and that they might be amongst the ones they show in their separate needle list....for those that would only want to replace their needles and not a whole kit.....and that these needles are probably CLOSE to what the OEM needles are/were! Since we apparantly can't get the EXACT OEM model style needle, we are going to have to settle for something CLOSE!!! IMHO.

T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

WMarshy has a emulsion tube and needle (pretty sure it was the 5GL16) from a set of '81 carbs I have. He was working on having replacements machined of them. Possibly even with adjustment slots like early carbs had.
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights
                      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines
                      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                        WMarshy has a emulsion tube and needle (pretty sure it was the 5GL16) from a set of '81 carbs I have. He was working on having replacements machined of them. Possibly even with adjustment slots like early carbs had.
                        I'll have to keep that in mind. Probably $$$.
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                          Hey Marty,

I just looked at the Jetsrus site again to review the jet needles. As you found they do not show a listing for the 5GL16 needle. They do have many needles in the "5" series shown with various combinations of tapers and lengths.

They state that if you don't see the needle you need to look at their carb kits! They show 3 different carb kits for 78E, 79F-SF, and 80 G/SG that all have NEEDLES in the kits. They do not show a kit for the 81 series WITH a needle. These kit #'s are 18-2555; 18-2581; and 18-2559. I would think/hope that if "we" wrote to them, that they would/could tell us what jet NEEDLE is in these different kits, and that they might be amongst the ones they show in their separate needle list....for those that would only want to replace their needles and not a whole kit.....and that these needles are probably CLOSE to what the OEM needles are/were! Since we apparantly can't get the EXACT OEM model style needle, we are going to have to settle for something CLOSE!!! IMHO.

T.C.
                          TC,
                          I hadn't thought about the springs. Mike's XS has them for $3.50 ea. That would be a good place to start! The pic of the kit at Jets-R-Us looks like K&L. I have a bunch of K&L needles. I suppose I could see what happens when I install them. I'd rather stay OEM, but those should tell me if I'm on the right track. Thanks again, TC!
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

Marty- Will this help you sir?

http://www.speedsupplies.com/parts/y...4116-16-00.htm

Not sure if you're looking for the "needle" or needle valve set? I use many different sites bookmarked for all my bikes.
                            Last edited by IanDMacDonald; 10-06-2013, 09:25 AM.
                            1979 XS1100F
                            2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                              Thanks, but that place has fooled me before. Click "Add to cart" and the response is "NOT AVAILABLE - OBSOLETE".

The bike runs good, so I won't mess with it this week. I'm riding to Birmingham next weekend. A little rich won't hurt with all the putting around at the Vintage Fest.

I need to update my coils, so that will come first. I'll get some springs after I build a Mike's XS order.

What still bugs me, is that I get instant start with a cold bike and no choke. It's harder to start when warm.
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

Working...
                              X