Needle Jets. Where to get them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Marty,

It sure could be, if the vac. adv. is hanging or not properly or fully advancing during cruising speeds, then you are not running at the max. fuel economy timing setting, and therefore could be wasting gas!

You may not need to totally replace it...although I know you like to install new parts when possible, but it may be just a matter of cleaning, regreasing the old unit. But it might be quicker and easier to just swap one out, and then you can take your time to refurbish the old one IF it can be.

But remember, if you're running all thru the mountains and not on flat superslabs, then you may be getting appropriate mileage for your riding environment, running up and down hills is not so good on mileage.

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I went to Birmingham and back last weekend. 30 mpg is my current best. I'll exhaust all ignition possibilities before I get in the carburetors again.

I'm using the bike daily for my commute. I should use the XS650. It goes twice as far on a gallon of gasoline.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
        Hey Marty,

It sure could be, if the vac. adv. is hanging or not properly or fully advancing during cruising speeds, then you are not running at the max. fuel economy timing setting, and therefore could be wasting gas!

T.C.
        As usual TC, you made a good call! I've had a bit of a stumble when the throttle is just cracked open. It's most noticeable in top gear following traffic at 45 mph. I took the mechanical and vacuum advance mechanisms apart. I cleaned them, lubed them, and reinstalled. The stumble is gone! I just had a ride in traffic up over Blood Mountain then back over to TWoS and back home. Now, it wants to wheelie exiting the turns!

I'll be riding the bike to/from work all week. That should tell me if there's any improvement in economy.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
          Just a far-fetched idea, but have you checked your timing and mechanical advance? I had trouble starting as well, it was related to both for me.
          I fixed that, so it moves like butter now. We'll see what happens.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Alright Marty, It's been a week, How's the mileage?? Did lubing up your advance fix your low MPGs?
            Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
            The Green Monster
            K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
            Got him in '04.
            bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
            Scarlet
            K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
            Got her in '11
            Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
            Hugo
            Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
            Cold weather ride

Comment

The stumble is gone. It feels like it runs great. My commute every day is 5.9 miles. My gas mileage was even worse this week at less than 25 mpg.

I just started the bike after it sat in the parking lot for five hours and the temp went from 29 to 39 deg f during that time. I mashed the start button and got instant VROOM! No choke. That ain't right.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

SOunds like it's still too rich. To be able to fire it up without the choke when it's this cold, then yeah, too rich. (like having the choke on all the time)

How do the plugs look?

I gotta ask, right size jets in there?
                Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                The Green Monster
                K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                Got him in '04.
                bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                Scarlet
                K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                Got her in '11
                Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                Hugo
                Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                Cold weather ride

Comment

Originally posted by GLoweVA View Post
                  SOunds like it's still too rich. To be able to fire it up without the choke when it's this cold, then yeah, too rich. (like having the choke on all the time)

How do the plugs look?

I gotta ask, right size jets in there?
                  Plugs 1 & 4 are brown. Plugs 2 & 3 are tan.

All the jets are genuine Mikuni. The idle jets are stock size. The mains are 115 across. The main jets used to be 110, 120, 120, 110. Maybe that was better.

I hesitate to mess with the carburetors yet. I need to exhaust all other possibilities. I should replace the coils. Mine are over 34 years old.
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

The 2 center cylinders will run leaner because they run hotter than the outer ones. Yammi ran a little larger jet on 2 & 3 for a year or two for that reason but decided that it really didn't make that much difference.
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                      The 2 center cylinders will run leaner because they run hotter than the outer ones. Yammi ran a little larger jet on 2 & 3 for a year or two for that reason but decided that it really didn't make that much difference.

I'm starting to believe the folks that wrote the Clymer manual did not make a mistake. They purposely call for 110, 120, 120, 110 jetting. It's beginning to make sense to me.

What went wrong that I no longer need the choke?
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

Possible enricher circuit is leaking fuel by it. BTW, the G and H Specials had 110's across all four. The Standard of those two yrs. had the staggered main jetting.....less predominent on the H by then, but some still did. Just depended on the mood of the assembler I guess. But it was dropped on most H's by then. Some even had a tad shorter diaphram springs on the center two carbs. The Canadian version of the Venturer even had adjustable metering rods........go figure.
                        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I jetted mine fat because my plugs had been scary white. JeffH went through the carbs and made it run perfect. This after I had been in them over and over. The only thing I did after he set them up was adjust the mixture screws and sync. I did both with a Morgan tool. The improvement from Jeff's bench sync was barely noticeable. Cold starts required the choke. Now, they don't.
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

I hate to admit this, but I just discovered that my timing was retarded. I reset it. We'll see. I tested the vacuum advance a while back. I checked the mechanical advance this evening. It works.
                            Marty (in Mississippi)
                            XS1100SG
                            XS650SK
                            XS650SH
                            XS650G
                            XS6502F
                            XS650E

Comment

Marty, you may like the way the engine runs with the timing advanced a few degrees higher than the factory spec, much more pep off the line. You will have to lower your idle a bit though. Too much advance and you will hear pinging under heavy throttle opening, then just back it off a hair. GL
                              2H7 (79)
                              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

fixed

This is a very old thread. I finally fixed my 25 to 30 mpg. I replaced the emulsion tubes and slide needles. Now 40 mpg!

XJ4ever.com has correct reproduction needles and emulsion tubes.
                                Marty (in Mississippi)
                                XS1100SG
                                XS650SK
                                XS650SH
                                XS650G
                                XS6502F
                                XS650E

Comment

Working...
                                X