No announcement yet.

Mounting Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The smallest one (5/16- 8mm) is the one you need. The spirals tighten as you turn and grip very well. I don't know if 3/16 is enough to get a good bite but I think this is your best bet. After that it's drill and blast.

I used acetylene when I removed the stud I had broken. Propane might be hot enough but I had to get mine glowing repeatedly and work it EEEEEEASY.

There ain't enough Es in EEEEEASY.

You might be able to pick up those extractors at a local auto parts house. That's where I got mine. They have come in handy a LOT.
    Last edited by BA80; 09-13-2013, 09:03 PM.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by rdmcguy View Post
      Lock a pair of vice grips on it and attempt to remove.(counterclock wise )
      Good luck
      If anyone ever saw me using a pair of vice grips on my bike I would be Mortified.
      2-79 XS1100 SF
      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

If the frame isn't in the way, you may be able to use a small pipe/monkey wrench to grip the stud. They usually dont slip, that would be my next choice if the vise grips dont grab. I'd use heat/penetrating oil first though. Good luck.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
          If the frame isn't in the way, you may be able to use a small pipe/monkey wrench to grip the stud. They usually dont slip, that would be my next choice if the vise grips dont grab. I'd use heat/penetrating oil first though. Good luck.
          Hi Phil,
          With an oil cooler and exhaust in place difficult to get anything in there.
          Up and at it I have been to the store and now soaking in Penetrating oil and the torch is fueled and ready to go

Phil
          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Remove the exhaust and the oil cooler and get them out of the way.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Consulted my guru: Tinman905.....Is goin to bring his welder and weld a nut onto the broken piece....to morrow. Meanwhile soaking in penetrating oil.
              To be continued.
              Who knew so many cared
              Phil
              1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Well???
                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Well .... I still had to go to MartyA to pick up a windshield (long story) so I took off in the minivan. Tinman rescheduled to Monday afternoon so not much to report on teh exhaust. New windshield installed.
                  Phil
                  1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Tinman905 arrived with the heavy artillery also known as a welder.
                    Well after multiple attempts finally he was successful in removing the old stud. We sacrificed 5 nuts a bolt and two drill bits as well as the tip of an "easy out"( what a misnomer that tool is)
                    Exhaust re-installed and electrics connected fired right up

Huge thanks to my guru Tinman905

To morrow I have to get the wheels of for Tires
                    Phil
                    1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                      If anyone ever saw me using a pair of vice grips on my bike I would be Mortified.
                      I bought a 750 with the oil filter bolt with no edges. Welded on a nut with no success. Ended-up using a torch and vice grips. Did the trick.
                      1979 XS1100F
                      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                        Tinman905 arrived with the heavy artillery also known as a welder.
                        Well after multiple attempts finally he was successful in removing the old stud. We sacrificed 5 nuts a bolt and two drill bits as well as the tip of an "easy out"( what a misnomer that tool is)
                        Exhaust re-installed and electrics connected fired right up

Huge thanks to my guru Tinman905

To morrow I have to get the wheels of for Tires
                        Phil
                        The nuts we used were the same size as the stud and there was only a few threads on the stud that did not allow the nut to be flush with the end stud. Each time a nut was weld on the stud would break again down to the depth of the weld. We went to a larger diameter nut with a lower profile that gave us more weldable material and that seem to be the "ticket"
                        BDF Special
                        80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
                        Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by tinman905 View Post
                          The nuts we used were the same size as the stud and there was only a few threads on the stud that did not allow the nut to be flush with the end stud. Each time a nut was weld on the stud would break again down to the depth of the weld. We went to a larger diameter nut with a lower profile that gave us more weldable material and that seem to be the "ticket"
                          You are still a Magician in my book Thanks again.
                          Phil
                          1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Working...
                          X