Mounting Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by motoman View Post
    If answer is yes to all, suspect would be someone tried to bend the pipes somewhere to get them to fit the earlier peg mounts. The one thing that I am positive about is the aluminum peg mount is absolutely the same on the 81special(SH) as it is on the 81Venturer(H).
    Hi Everyone thanks for all your great information. No time to do anything with it to night. However I think Motoman in his first response may have given me the clue I needed ( I was clueless )
    Looking at the right side 3H3-14721 it has a REPAIR WELD under the shield. So I now suspect that the pipe is no longer exactly stock in shape. To morrow will mount the left and see if I can figure out how to adjust the repaired side.

Phil
    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Thanks DC11 now we know I do have the `correct`exhaust for the H
      Just hoping it plays nice with the DynoJet carb kit.
      Phil
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
        Hi Everyone thanks for all your great information. No time to do anything with it to night. However I think Motoman in his first response may have given me the clue I needed ( I was clueless )
        Looking at the right side 3H3-14721 it has a REPAIR WELD under the shield. So I now suspect that the pipe is no longer exactly stock in shape. To morrow will mount the left and see if I can figure out how to adjust the repaired side.

Phil
        What's still bothersome, is from your pic. the reason for the muff. mount bracket coming up THAT short of the mount distance wise. That 3H3 designation for some reason echos 79. Haven't looked at Steve's tip section, but curiosity getting the best of me, tomorrow gonna wiggle my scoot out a ways so I can get under it better to see the pretex numbering on its exhaust. Irregardless, a nicely shaped off-set mount can be made. Those muffs DO ride up tightly, parralel with underside of peg mount when correctly in place.....just a FYI.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Hi Motoman,
          The mounting bracket gets much closer. The picture is with it supported but not pushed into place. I am thinking that the weld will have to be done over. If the join is moved inward (towards centre of bike) the tip will move away from the swingarm I hope.
          Phil
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Hi Motoman,
            The mounting bracket gets much closer. The picture is with it supported but not pushed into place. I am thinking that the weld will have to be done over. If the join is moved inward (towards centre of bike) the tip will move away from the swingarm I hope.
            Phil
            A little more clearer.......when correctly in place, the HIGHEST point of muffler rides parralel with underside of peg bracket, with mounting ear going to inside of peg mount, but of course, you already knew that. Sounds like your gonna be able to utilize a 'needle in haystack' find on that exhaust.......sweet.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Best laid plans .... after foraging for food (grocery store) and making dinner and some other chores simply ran out of time to work on the bike.
              Tomorrow ...note to self Must try harder
              Phil
              1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Best laid plans .... after foraging for food (grocery store) and making dinner and some other chores simply ran out of time to work on the bike.
                Tomorrow ...note to self Must try harder
                Phil
                Thanks for the heads-up Phill! Guess you know curiosity of final results are a cliff-hanger to alot of us.

Comment

Phil,

If it helps, here is a pic of an SH right side with a stock exhaust. Note the foot peg bracket was painted black by the PO, but it shows the exhaust and how close it follows the bracket.

BTW, the 3H3 is the one and only Special exhaust, used on the SF, SG, SH, and the H. Never looked at the numbers for the LG and LH, but they are the exact same pipes just with the black chrome coating.
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                    Phil,

If it helps, here is a pic of an SH right side with a stock exhaust. Note the foot peg bracket was painted black by the PO, but it shows the exhaust and how close it follows the bracket.

BTW, the 3H3 is the one and only Special exhaust, used on the SF, SG, SH, and the H. Never looked at the numbers for the LG and LH, but they are the exact same pipes just with the black chrome coating.
                    Thanks DGXSER.......saved me from uncovering and dragging my Venturer out where I could better see those numbers on inboard portion of mufler.

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                      Phil,

Hi Don,
                      That picture could be useful about now I do not even see the dreaded red square ?
                      Phil
                      1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Lack of progress report. So on Friday night I spent 1 1/2 hours wrestling with the Left side and failed to get it attached. Saturday morniing I spent 1 1/2 hours wrestling with it and have the front attached to the head BUT loose or tight I can not get the attachment to footrest part to line up.
                        Too sweaty and pissed off at the moment to try anything else. Maybe a spacer like HamJam proposed will be the eventual solution.
                        How about that picture Don ?
                        Phil
                        1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Sorry I must have forgot to post the pic...

Here it is....

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

May be a dumb question Phil, but are those peg brackets originall to the bike? They looked like they were the correct upswept brackets. Sure it's gonna be a duh moment for all of us when you figure out the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                              May be a dumb question Phil, but are those peg brackets originall to the bike? They looked like they were the correct upswept brackets. Sure it's gonna be a duh moment for all of us when you figure out the issue.
                              Hi Motoman,
                              I am reasonably sure the peg mounts are correct for the bike.
                              Will have another go at it to morrow. Not a happy biker to day

Phil
                              1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Phil, If you have tried leaving the headers loose or even unbolted from the head and the bracket still does not reach the foot peg bracket bolt, then you most likely have a modified set of pipes and will need a "bracket" to hang them. If you see a weld on the pipes behind the heat shield area, that is not stock.

For the ones in the first pic I posted, the Jardines for a STD, I used a piece of 1/8" steel strip about 3" wide. Cut it with an angle grinder, and drilled the holes for the bolts. painted with Rustoleum rattle can paint. Been on the bike since 2009.

Previously owned
                                93 GSX600F
                                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                                81 XS1100 Special
                                81 CB750 C
                                80 CB750 C
                                78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                                X