Mounting Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting Exhaust

I am having trouble getting the exhaust to line up.
    I am installing what I believe is a 1980 Special exhaust to my 1981 H Venturer. I can not get the rear hanger to the mounting bolt. It is about 1/2 inch 15mm away when the muffler hits the swing arm. Is there supposed to be a spacer ? Is the casting with the rear foot peg different between an 80 and 81?

Phil
    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

The brackets that bolt on the mufflers may be different from the special to the standard. The exhaust system itself should be the same. I think.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
      The brackets that bolt on the mufflers may be different from the special to the standard. The exhaust system itself should be the same. I think.
      Same, same. Pretty sure the rear peg mount/frame gussets are the same on 80-81 Specials. The Venturer used the same. Muffler hit the swing-arm?? Just now looked at mine....... litterally impossible for that to happen. Does your bike have the aluminum peg mounts that have the fancy black anodized recessed groove like the ignition and alt. covers? Are the exhaust the short up-swept ones. I presume you've left everything loose, including head pipes till ALL the mounting points have bolts in them??? If answer is yes to all, suspect would be someone tried to bend the pipes somewhere to get them to fit the earlier peg mounts. The one thing that I am positive about is the aluminum peg mount is absolutely the same on the 81special(SH) as it is on the 81Venturer(H).
      Last edited by motoman; 09-03-2013, 08:29 PM.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
        Same, same. Pretty sure the rear peg mount/frame gussets are the same on 80-81 Specials. The Venturer used the same.
        I can't see how EVERYTHING can be the same since the Standard frame is an inch or 2 longer than the Special.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Hi Greg,
          Looks as though you have an 80 Special.
          Does your foot rest mounting look like this?
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Same, same. Pretty sure the rear peg mount/frame gussets are the same on 80-81 Specials. The Venturer used the same. Muffler hit the swing-arm?? Just now looked at mine....... litterally impossible for that to happen. Does your bike have the aluminum peg mounts that have the fancy black anodized recessed groove like the ignition and alt. covers? Are the exhaust the short up-swept ones. I presume you've left everything loose, including head pipes till ALL the mounting points have bolts in them??? If answer is yes to all, suspect would be someone tried to bend the pipes somewhere to get them to fit the earlier peg mounts. The one thing that I am positive about is the aluminum peg mount is absolutely the same on the 81special(SH) as it is on the 81Venturer(H).
            Hi Motoman,
            Have only attempted right side so far. Yes header pipes are in the head and nuts are only 1 or 2 threads on. look at the picture to see mount. Yes short upswept exhaust finishes a couple of inches before axel.
            Thursday i will try the left side.
            Thanks
            Phil
            1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Hi Motoman,
              Have only attempted right side so far. Yes header pipes are in the head and nuts are only 1 or 2 threads on. look at the picture to see mount. Yes short upswept exhaust finishes a couple of inches before axel.
              Thursday i will try the left side.
              Thanks
              Phil
              1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Phil Measure the holes centre to centre and and length needed and we will build some for you
                Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
                Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
                and SOXS
                2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

I can't see how EVERYTHING can be the same since the Standard frame is an inch or 2 longer than the Special.
                  Well, for what its worth, the Venturer frame was a 'one-off' in many respects as far as mounting points of ALOT of items compared to any other year Standard. Any frame length difference between the two models would be from the swing-arm forward anyways. Tripple tree would be where the differences are, with the Special having the leading front axle. Wheelbases are identical on both models at 60.8in. Cut me some slack, I'm just tryin' to help, and so far I'm right..............MaximPhil, from the motor mount bolt to the muffler mount bolt on the peg bracket is approx. 9 5/8in. C/C on my Venturer. Even thought the brackets look identical from your pic, what's that same measurement on yours shown in pic? The peg mount in your pic also matches up with the other mounting locations of mine on the Venturer. If that all matches the same, then there is a good possibility those exhaust came off a 79Special.....which had different mounting points on the frame and different locating muffler mount on bracket from what I've seen.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Interchange Guide

I am not sure that your issue is covered but Steve has a lot of specifics in the interchange guide specific measurement differences and mods that can work.
                    To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                    1980 G Silverbird
                    Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                    1198 Overbore kit
                    Grizzly 660 ACCT
                    Barnett Clutch Springs
                    R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                    122.5 Main Jets
                    ACCT Mod
                    Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                    Antivibe Bar ends
                    Rear trunk add-on
                    http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                      Hi Greg,
                      Looks as though you have an 80 Special.
                      Does your foot rest mounting look like this?
                      Those look just like the peg mounts I have on my SF. They came off an SH and have the scroll.

I just measured from the rear engine mount bolt to the exhaust mount bolt and center to center its 9 7/8 on the SG.

Well, for what its worth, the Venturer frame was a 'one-off' in many respects as far as mounting points of ALOT of items compared to any other year Standard. Any frame length difference between the two models would be from the swing-arm forward anyways. Tripple tree would be where the differences are, with the Special having the leading front axle. Wheelbases are identical on both models at 60.8in. Cut me some slack, I'm just tryin' to help, and so far I'm right..............MaximPhil, from the motor mount bolt to the muffler mount bolt on the peg bracket is approx. 9 5/8in. C/C on my Venturer. Even thought the brackets look identical from your pic, what's that same measurement on yours shown in pic? The peg mount in your pic also matches up with the other mounting locations of mine on the Venturer. If that all matches the same, then there is a good possibility those exhaust came off a 79Special.....which had different mounting points on the frame and different locating muffler mount on bracket from what I've seen.
                      Moto: Not sure what you mean by "different mounting points" on an SF but it seems to me the engine is mounted exactly the same in all so any difference would have to be behind the rear engine mount since all the engines ar the same length. Agreed?
                      Don't get your shorts in a knot, I'm just trying to help also
                      Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Phil,

Are you certain it is an exhaust off a Special and not off a Standard? As has been pointed out, the H model was unique in that it used the same foot peg brackets and exhaust on both the H and the SH, being the Special style that was used on the SF and the SG.

I ask because I have a set of (I think) Jardine pipes on my SH and I had to make a bracket to mount them as well. My assumption has always been that the pipes were off a Standard. Never mind the red arrow, this is a pick I used to show where a weld broke on my pipes.

Yeah, I know the sticker says Kerker, but I am fairly certain Kerker never made a 4-2 system, and that is only a sticker.
                        Last edited by DGXSER; 09-04-2013, 06:57 AM.
                        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

Phil, I checked the part numbers for the exhaust on the Boats site and they show the same part number for the 80SG, 81SH and 81H, this also is the case for the mounting bracket. I compared the SG bracket and the LH bracket and other than the scroll and the black paint they are identical. The part number on both my 80SG and 81LH exhaust are 3H3-14721 and 3H3-14711. Hope this will help you identify what year exhaust you have.

Comment

there is a good possibility those exhaust came off a 79Special.....which had different mounting points on the frame and different locating muffler mount on bracket from what I've seen.
                            You could be right about that moto. The peg mounts for a SF are 1 number off from the SG.
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

You could be right about that moto. The peg mounts for a SF are 1 number off from the SG.
                              Sorry for the the confusion BA80, I actually didn't look at the right side on mine as it is bike-covered in corner of man-cave. With that, knowing both pipes mount equal, I knew that right peg mount was configured a bit different with the cut-out for the rear brake shaft. Just couldn't remember for sure if the two frame mount locations were identical on both sides. Presume they are, as I had moved the rear pegs forward to that upper mounting hole, cutting a piece of stainless pipe for the spacer to fill that gap. Cut it approx. a 32nd of an inch short so when going back with the flanged bolt, it would peg mount up tight against face of bracket keeping it from any rotation when pillion boarding since there is no recess to stop that from happening. Jumped up and down on it, and SWMBO has been on many a time, so seems to be a good modification so passenger legs aren't tucked up against the hard case frame work. DGXSER, those ARE Jardine slip-ons(NA). I have a new set with the cross-over with all the mounting hardware still in the original box. Coming across NOS exhaust that had never been on a bike a few years back, I'll likely never use them now, as I'm sure the originals will outlast me and the bike. On the box, they are listed for 1980 XS1100 Standard.

Comment

Working...
                              X